Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I re-install windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:14 PM

I am trying to re-install windows 7. However when I boot from the USB stick that I was given, the computer boots up from it fine. It gives me options to restore the operating system, use a system image etc. However when I choose any such option it says "insert recovery media"* or words to that effect. I thought my USB stick WAS THE RECOVERY MEDIA. So am I now screwed? I appear to have various drivers and other installation files. I also have no system restore points due to problems with windows, which is why I want to re-install it.

*When I re-insert the USB stick it says "Recovery media is invalid". I am now assuming the techy that created the bootable USB stick didnt actually create the necessary files to restore my computer. No system image or **** all. I dont think I can do much with just the drivers, various updates and MS Office Starter. I am bloody tamping and I will definitely be taking my laptop back and questioning;1, Why he didnt make a proper recovery, 2; why he didnt point out that I would need to create a system image or somethin myself.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:00 AM

Ok have a laugh at my expense.

I went back to the shop and it turned out that the USB recovery stick was for another computer. Could have sworn it was for mine but I have a few USB sticks and just got confused which one was which. The one for my computer was stored in a different location which I forgot about.

I was also informed Windows updates not downloading is quite normal as of lately. Anyone else experience differently? At least there's **** all wrong with my comp apparently. Worth making a tit of myself :).

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 11:06 AM

- If you have problems with Windows Update:

http://www.tweaking.com/forums/index.php/topic,4799.0.html

#4 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:22 PM

Tried that. Just says "searching for updates on this computer" as opposed to "searching for updates". I also manually tried a windows update package that includes everything since SP1 up to last april or may. That resulted in the same issue. Its over 400MBs.

EDIT:

Managed to install the updates here: http://wu.krelay.de/en/

When I stopped (but not disabled) the windows update service, they installed alrite. I then went into windows update after a reboot and it has indeed found updates (27, totaling nearly 300mb). I am downloading them now. I will post a further reply once I have tried to install them and let you know. Thanks for the link BTW.

Edited by The-Administrater, 15 August 2016 - 02:06 PM.

#5 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

Yup, seems to be working now. All but one updates installed successfully. KB3125574 failed for some reason. There are yet more updates found.

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2016 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

- KB 3125574 contains A LOT OF updates and therefore A LOT can go wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users