Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AffixHub Scam - Please help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chriswatson06

chriswatson06

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:19 PM

Please direct me to the correct forum if this is incorrect...

Hello, I'm hoping somebody can help.  My father got tricked this afternoon into buying a $500 tech support contract with remote support from the company Affixhub.  I wasn't around when it happened or else this wouldn't have happened, but now I get to play superman, with your help of course!  Here is what happened from what he told me.

He was on the internet and email when a realistic popup came up that locked him out of accessing anything else on the computer and told him he had a virus and to call a number (1-800-210-0464).  When he called the number a "tech" took remote access of his system and installed Symantec and some remote assistance link to click. I've deleted the software and Symantec and am battling with them to get his money back, but in the mean time I'm paranoid...

Who knows if they installed keyloggers, backdoors, etc etc.  Can you please help me to ensure my computer is clean?

Thank you so much!

Stats:

Windows 7 home premium

64 bit operating system

Edited by chriswatson06, 13 August 2016 - 06:36 PM.

I run a fitness blog because I'm an expert at getting into shape, but not computers, that's why I use BleepingComputer for all my computer issues :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:59 PM

Since you've had such a major compromise, a full operating system restore is suggested.

(1) backup all important files by burning to cd/dvd if you can, or to a USB drive.

(2) when you reinstall the operating system, make sure you do a full hard drive format. This will insure a new MBR is created.

(3) install the new operating system, update to lasted windows security patches.

(4) install anti-virus and other anti-malware apps.

Now, your backed up files on cd/dvd, or USB drive, scan all the backed up files.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users