Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

lost a text file, now explorer say doesn't exist

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:38 PM

On my old pc where everything else is working just fine, no problems, no viruses: I had a text file and read it this morning. Later I used search (above the start button) to find it again. Right-clicking properties, I found the file was read-only. I tried to copy the file from the search list but Windows 7 Pro wouldn't let me. It only created a shortcut in the folder I wanted to copy to. Deleted the shortcut.

Still later that file didn't show up using the same search. Searched in Windows Explorer. Nope. Thought a pointer might've gotten messed up and tried a Restore Point (to yesterday). Read here that RP only deals w/system files (which is why your data files are left alone). Don't understand how the original file was 'lost' but wondering if I run Scandisk if that might help.

Not a big deal, the data can be re-created basically. But I'd rather have the original back.

As always, any feedback would be appreciated : ),

Mac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

You could try using recovery software. I have had  fair success with Recuva, a free download from BC -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/recuva/

Download and install it then run it. You can tell it to search quite a precise location. If you know the folder where your text file was kept set it to search that folder. One small tip. It produces the best results if you do not ask it to save recovered files onto the same drive they were stored in. In your case I would suggest plugging in an empty memory stick and instructing it to save to that.

A point to bear in mind, you said "my old PC". It would probably be a good idea to back up all your data off this computer to external storage ASAP, just in case this missing file is an indicator of a failing hard drive. If your data is backed up, a deceased hard drive becomes a major nuisance rather than a catastrophe !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users