Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting SSD on Lenovo Y510P laptop

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NeonCandy

NeonCandy

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

Heya!

So i felt like i needed to boost my laptop a bit so i wanted to fill my empty SSD slot. Im concerned about my model. I have read many articles and they all say that some have this slot and some dont and that some dont have connectors etc... So i'v oppened my laptop and saw that there is a slot with conectors (Picture 1). I dont like that it has something written in blue, and because i cant figure out what it says i cant be sure if it works..

What do you guys think, because i dont want to buy an SSD and than figure out that this doesnt work?

Picture 2 shows the slot with SSD.

Also what do you think is the best option for buying an SSD? I would spend max 50€.

EDIT: Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. It took me a while but i think SSD is a 2242 model.

Thanks and have a great day :)

Attached Files

Edited by NeonCandy, 13 August 2016 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:33 PM

Picture 1 looks like mSATA connector. Telling your laptop manufacturer and exact model helps a lot.

#3 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Picture 1 looks like mSATA connector. Telling your laptop manufacturer and exact model helps a lot.

Oh ye sorry, i forgot. My laptop is Lenovo Y510P. I think, im not sure the SSD is 2242.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:21 PM

Take a look here: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p compatible upgrades
,These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Oh ye sorry, i forgot. My laptop is Lenovo Y510P. I think, im not sure the SSD is 2242.

Yes, that is indeed M.2 2242. I googled and it seems that M.2 connector only supports SATA. That info is hard to find. If that is the case, then buying SATA M.2 2242 is enough. Also NVME drives tend to overheat even on desktops so SATA is safer choice.

For 50€ you won't get big drive, you probably won't get even 120GB. Is that enough?

Take a look here: Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p compatible upgrades
,These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com

2.5 inch SATA connector drive on M.2 slot is guaranteed not to work :)

Edited by Drillingmachine, 13 August 2016 - 03:37 PM.

#6 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

I am only looking for the ones to fit on the slot for 2242 m.2 SSD. Thanks for the suggestion tho :)

Edited by NeonCandy, 13 August 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#7 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:39 PM

Yes, that is indeed M.2 2242. I googled and it seems that M.2 connector only supports SATA. That info is hard to find. If that is the case, then buying SATA M.2 2242 is enough. Also NVME drives tend to overheat even on desktops so SATA is safer choice.

For 50€ you won't get big drive, you probably won't get even 120GB. Is that enough?

Yes, im not looking for much. I only need an SSD for my OS and a few games. 

Maybe something like this : http://www.integralmemory.com/product/m2-sata-6gbps-22x42

Edited by NeonCandy, 13 August 2016 - 04:13 PM.

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:19 AM

64GB can hold Windows and perhaps one bigger game (not big). Many small games of course. 120GB is smallest I can recommend however unless those "games" consume very little disk space.

#9 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

64GB can hold Windows and perhaps one bigger game (not big). Many small games of course. 120GB is smallest I can recommend however unless those "games" consume very little disk space.

I will probbably just have OS and two games i play regularly and if i stop playing them il just delete them or copy them to HDD. So thats not a problem. 

Do you have any experience with Integral SSD? I was looking at this one ( http://www.integralmemory.com/product/m2-sata-6gbps-22x42 ). I cant really find many so yea.

Edited by NeonCandy, 14 August 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:08 PM

No experience about Integral. Should be enough for basic use.

#11 NeonCandy

NeonCandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:23 AM

No experience about Integral. Should be enough for basic use.

But do you think that the blue stuff written in the SSD slot  means something or its just so they know not to put an SSD in? Because i dont want to buy an SSD just to find out that its not working..

Edited by NeonCandy, 17 August 2016 - 07:23 AM.

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,343 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:54 AM

Probably that's just manufacturer's marking for what part fits there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users