Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall Sys32\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechModelDownload.exe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HoDANG

HoDANG

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

I went downstairs for 5 mins and when I come back C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechModelDownload.exe is requesting access. Google search did not return any useful info.  Does anybody know what this is and why it is running randomly. Also, if I should allow or deny it? 

Note: My computer goes to the lock screen after 3 minutes of inactivity. This showed up after I logged back in.
xAL1D5J.png

Thank you.

--HoDANG

Edit: Wasn't enough space to type out the full post title.

Edited by HoDANG, 13 August 2016 - 08:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

The file C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechModelDownload.exe seems to be a legit file in Windows from Microsoft.

The file sounds like a part of Cortana (the AI assistant in Windows 10) and might be speech recognition rule downloader in order to improve Windows speech accuracy.

If you have any suspicion, I would recommend you to upload it to VirusTotal and check. (Click 'Browse' and enter "C:\Windows\System32\Speech_OneCore\Common\SpeechModelDownload.exe" without quotes and click 'Open' and click 'Scan it' button.)

Edited by Nikhil_CV, 13 August 2016 - 11:09 AM.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 HoDANG

HoDANG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Alright, based on what you've suggested, I will assume it was started as some type of automatic update and will forget about it.

I set the rule to deny, but since the Virustotal scan showed up as clean, I guess I will go ahead and delete the rule I made.
I have a question though. How come some files have no signature, even though they are obviously made by Microsoft(Sticky Notes or System for example),

What I learned : 

--

--Virustotal > wasting other peoples time asking

--A google search of Speech_OneCore returned an article(I skimmed over it) written a couple years back discussing OneCore and how it would allow you to use your Xbox/Windows Phone on your PC and how the next windows might be called Windows One (obviously it wasn't). They were right about the Xbox and Phone things, because insiders can get their phone notifications inside of windows if you download the Cortana app on your apple/robot/window. That seems pretty cool being able to see your texts while your phone is in the other room or you are wearing headphones. 

#4 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 19 August 2016 - 02:36 AM

Sorry, I lost the reply note.

How come some files have no signature, even though they are obviously made by Microsoft

Are you sure that the System date is correct?

Please make sure you have manually synced it with the time server of your choice.

Also, try resetting internet explorer advanced settings. (Type inetcpl.cpl in 'run' window > 'Advanced' tab)

Tick the 3  Check for  under the Security section of same 'Advanced' tab.

Make sure to restart and check.

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users