Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot partition stuck on usb flash drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bootyboot

Bootyboot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

I did a clean install of win 8.1 with a bootable usb and Windows somehow installed the boot partition to the bootable usb drive and not my ssd.

I hoped upgrading to win 10 would resolve this and install the boot partition to my ssd. Didn't work.

Tried command prompt and bootrec but no luck. I still need the usb drive connected to boot.

Am running mbr partitions on my ssd and computer is in legacy mode. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:14 PM

You can create System Reserve partition by following below instaructions.

Windows System Repair Disc can be created containing the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) i recommend creating a Windows Repair Disc to anybody without a Windows OS installation DVD.

1. Create a Windows Vista System Repair Disc

The Service Pack 1 must be install to create a Windows System Repair Disc from Windows Vista.

Program that creates a Windows System Repair Disc can be started from "Start Menu --> All Programs --> Maintenance --> Create a Recovery Disc". Follow the instructions to create a Windows System Repair Disk you will need either a blank CD or DVD.

2. Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Open the "Backup and Restore" by clicking the "Start Menu --> Control Panel --> System and Maintenance --> Backup and Restore" and In the left pane, click “Create a system repair disc”. You will need a blank CD or DVD and then just follow the instructions to create a Windows Repair Disk.

3. Create a Windows 8, 8.1 System Repair Disc

Open the Search charm by dragging your mouse to the top or bottom right corners of the screen or press WinKey + Q keys and type Recover into Search charm and click Create a recovery drive to create USB recovery drive which will include WinRE and optionally Windows OS factory recover image.

You will need empty USB Flash Drive or blank CD or DVD if you click “Create a system repair disk with a CD or DVD” option on the Connect USB flash drive screen.

4. Create a Windows 10 Recovery Drive

Even if your PC can't start, you can use the Recovery drive to reset it or troubleshoot problems. If you back up system files to this drive, you'll also be able to use it to reinstall Windows.

Open your Start Menu, type RecoveryDrive.exe in the search box, press Enter key.

Check or Uncheck the Back up system files to the recovery drive box for what you want to do, and click on Next button.

Select the USB flash drive (ex: "E:\ (USB)" ) you want to make a recovery drive, and click on Next button.

When ready to start, click on Create button.

Create System Reserve Partition

1. Open Disk Management console by pressing 

7W6b39o.png

type Diskmgmmt.msc

1. From Disk Management console right click C: partition and select Shrink Volume...
  2. Type 350  into Enter the Amount of space to shrink in MB: box .
  3. Click Shrink button.
  4. Right clicked new unallocated 350 MB space and select New Simple Volume
  5. Leave everything default format the 350 MB space as  FAT32 and at New Label:  box type System Reserved and click Next and Finish Buttons.
  6.  Mark the partition Active by right clicking the 350MB partition and select Mark Active.

Copy critical boot files to the system partition and to create a new system BCD store.

1. Press Windows key + X keys
  2. Click Command Prompt (admin)
  3. Enter the following command:
Bcdboot C:\windows /s E:   /f All

Replace the E: letter with 350 MB assigned partition letter.

Restart your computer.

If any chance if Windows won't start then Boot your computer using Windows Setup DVD or System Repair Disk and use Startup Repair tool to repair the boot issue.

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users