Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8GB R.A.M. v.s 1GB+ Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:36 AM

So I have a PC, a HP Pavillion p6000 to be exact and here is the equipment it has:

PC: HP Pavillion p6000

RAM (2 Sticks) : 2x 2GB 240p PC3-10600 CL9 16c 128x8 DDR3-1333 2Rx8 1.5V UDIMM RFB
Graphic Card: None (X)
Heat Sink: Hewlett-Packard Pavillion P6654y 
Hard Drive: Western Digital 750GB 7200RPM IDE-SATA
CPU: AMD Athlon || 2900MHz 667 MHz Memory Controller One 2000 MHz 16-bit HyperTransport Link 
CPU Continued: Clock Multiplier: 14.5, Sockets: AM2+, AM3, Data Width:64 Bit, CPU Cores: 4, Threads: 4, Thermal Design Power: 95 Watt
Power Supply: 250W 20-PIN
Motherboard: HP Pavillion 620887-001 Alvorix RS880 785GB SB710 Socket AM3 DDR3

So as you see, a lot of complicated stuff for an ordinary person, but the main points to note are the I only have 4GB RAM and NO Graphics Card. Now, I've been researching and I've learned that 8GB RAM can really enhance the performance of your computer. HOWEVER, I've also seen that having a simple 1-2 GB graphics card can really, really help your PC. So I've come to this forum for advice. Will 8GB RAM make my computer better or a decent 1-2 GB Graphics Card. Also, please keep in mind my budget is around $100 or less. Another fact is that for sure, I can't buy both of these especially since I'm live in Canada. All Graphics Cards usually start from $60 which are actually decent.

- VishIsBoss
8/13/2016

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

Your graphics "card" is integrated one. 8 GB RAM only helps a lot if you are running out of memory, otherwise helps a little.

Graphic card help if you play 3D games.

So, what are you planning to do? Play games or something else?

#3 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

Im planning on playing games and join work. By work I mean coding practices and exercises which may use Eclipse.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:17 PM

What games? Problem is that for gaming, you need much better graphic card but case is quite small and you need better PSU also.

For $100 budget you can get RAM to 8 GB and low end graphics card. But I recommend bigger upgrade.

#5 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Okay, Thanks!

#6 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Keep in mind some software, like MS Visual Studio, needs a card above a certain amount of memory so I'd lean towards the card (and PSU) before you buy any ram. Know what appls you need to 'support'.

#7 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:12 PM

Keep in mind some software, like MS Visual Studio, needs a card above a certain amount of memory so I'd lean towards the card (and PSU) before you buy any ram. Know what appls you need to 'support'.

What games? Problem is that for gaming, you need much better graphic card but case is quite small and you need better PSU also.

For $100 budget you can get RAM to 8 GB and low end graphics card. But I recommend bigger upgrade.

So should I get a greater PSU roughly 400W+ and get a decent enough graphics card. The main problem is that graphics cards usually cost a lot of money. If you can send me the links to either a PSU/GC or BOTH that fit the $100 budget, that would be highly appreciated. 

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

RAM is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do.  You will feel the difference across the board with a RAM upgrade.  The video card upgrade will be much more limited.  I'd recommend doing the RAM upgrade and waiting to see if it provides a sufficient improvement for you.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

You did not mention which version of Windows you are running, including whether it is 32 bit or 64 bit.

The key question relative to the RAM is whether you are have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows installed.  If you only have a 32 bit version of Windows installed, then upgrading to 8 GB of RAM will not do anything at all unless you also upgrade to a 64 bit version of Windows.

#10 VishIsBoss

VishIsBoss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

I do run on Windows 10 Anniversary Update and yes, I do have 64 bit. I have bought the RAM and I'm waiting for it to arrive. To be specific I have bought, Team Dark 16GB (2x8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model TDKED316G1600HC9DC01.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users