Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What the heck is my F: drive?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:42 PM

This is my laptop screen- I double click on the F:drive and a message comes up saying "you don't have permission to access it", and tells me I have to "use the security tab", but I can't find any security tab!

Funny thing is that the F: drive has only appeared on my laptop the last week or so, it never appeared before and I haven't a clue what it is or what's on it, any ideas how I can get in to take a look?

F-drive_zpsobov9h1x.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:45 PM

Did you just get the Windows 10 update ?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

+1 If you upgraded to Windows 10 recently it is probably your recovery partition to revert to your previous OS.

If not, is it a physical drive on your computer? USB? Web cam with 256MB internal storage?

If not, did you recently update or install any HP bloat/software?

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:35 PM

No guys, I'm not Win 10, my 'PC Info' readout still reads 'Win 8.1'.

I've not added an internal or external drive, however I did buy a new compact digital camera a few weeks ago and regularly upload the pics and vids on its card to my laptop's pictures folder just fine.

If i could only access F: to peek inside it I'd know what was in there and the mystery would be solved,, but like I say, I get an "access denied" message.

Any ideas how I could get in? 

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 13 August 2016 - 02:36 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

Since it's FAT32...my guess would be that someone plugged in a USB flash/pen drive.  I don't know of anything else that would be that small (256MB) and FAT32.

Louis

#6 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:00 PM

Since it's FAT32...my guess would be that someone plugged in a USB flash/pen drive.  I don't know of anything else that would be that small (256MB) and FAT32.

Louis

Hmm.. I insert my camera card in the end of this adapter then plug the other end into my USB port to transfer the vids/pics from the card to my laptop. The adapter calls itself drive G:. 

When it's done I unplug the adapter, but the F: drive is still there and hasn't disappeared.

So I need a magic wand to open F: to find out what's on it.

Cam-card-adapter_zpszri10zv7.jpg

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

See if you can chkdsk /r on the F: partition/drive.

Louis

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:50 PM

Just a shot in a dark, but try looking at it using Treesize.

If that doesn't work, what does the Hardware tab show from screenshot 1?

Edited by Trikein, 15 August 2016 - 02:51 PM.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

Security Tab:

Right click on the file  >Properties  >Security

From there you can change permission settings; however, if this is a corrupt file it may or may not respond to changing the settings.

Just in case you can find no other alternatives you might try a small utility that I use all the time: Take Ownership

This installs quickly, and has a right click entry in the shell menu. Just right click on the file, choose Take Ownership, and it makes the necessary registry changes so that you have complete control over that file. I am not sure if it works on a folder or not. This may be a "ghost" folder and really has nothing in it and may even be virtual only, meaning that it exists only in memory.

Since you are not sure where this came from, investigate thoroughly before attempting this. I also strongly suggest that you have an image backup of your main drive, just in case unexpected results happen.

Also:

upload the pics and vids on its card

How big is the camera card? 250megs? If the phantom is supposedly the same size of your camera card, It may be a leftover from that, possibly a corrupt registry key. You can try a registry search with regedit using the exact same name. If you find a key with the exact same name and delete it that may solve your problem. Again, have a dependable backup that you can use in case of unexpected results.

Edited by ranchhand_, 15 August 2016 - 03:33 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:57 AM

Louis

An EFI partition?  Has to be FAT format and generally 100-250mb.  But that shouldn't be allocated a drive letter by Windows and by default is hidden from the user (because messing with it is not advisable).

A Speccy snapshot or screenshot from Disk Management would help I think.

7sbvuf-6.png

#11 pagunio

pagunio

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:44 AM

Before I say my opinion can you please, Screenshot your Disk Management by pressing WIN and R key on your keyborad then type diskmgmt.msc after that click OK and in the end attach the screenshot with your new post.

Edited by pagunio, 17 August 2016 - 03:44 AM.

#12 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Thanks guys I'll work through your suggestions and let you know what happens, I took my laptop into the local computer shop yesterday but even he couldn't access the drive, he said something about it being linked to my other PC, but when I got home I could find no F: on my other PC.

Incidentally the F: drive and its content first appeared on my laptop around the time Flash messages like this below began appearing as I surfed around video sites, I clicked "Allow" a few times before switching to "Deny", so maybe I inadvertently allowed stuff to be put on F:

As soon as I can access it i'll be able to delete it, I'll let you know. 

Clipboard01hlk_zpstdw0zaus.jpg

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,813 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:22 PM

Do you have 'Everything' installed..?

If not install it and give it a run and see if it finds "f" drive, or contents on it

Choose the appropriate install for your PC....32 bit or 64 bit

Read the faq's to tell you how to scan ntfs volumes....run as administrator, etc

You may consider keeping everything...it is a seriously handy search tool for windows...and its free.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:52 PM

Most likely, by allowing edge.liveleak permission to store info on your computer, that is what it did and then set permissions to no access. For whatever reason, evidently when you use this program it accesses whatever is in the folder/drive. Use the utility I provided a link to gain ownership, and then delete it. Be careful when any program asks permission to create entries in your system. If not sure what it is, deny permission. You can always go back and allow it in the future. Again, I am not sure if Take Ownership will work on a drive, but if not it will message you.

Edited by ranchhand_, 18 August 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:54 PM

Good news!- the F: drive has vanished from my screen! I didn't do anything to make it go except keep clicking on "Deny" and it probably got the message that I didn't want it!

If it ever comes back I'll tackle it with the wealth of suggestions you guys have made in this thread, thanks..:)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users