Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UUKeys Password Recovery

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:12 PM

Does anyone know if UUKeys is safe?  I locked my kids out of their computer by changing the password, then spent the next 3 weeks out of town in hospital with my wife who has cancer.  By the time I returned, I couldn't remember the password.  I tried making a bootable flashdisk using the Microsoft program that makes a bootable USB drive with WPE.
MS must've patched the flaw in W8 that allowed people to use the advanced tools to make specific changes to get in (in this case, it was suggested that devman.exe be replaced with cmd.exe so that you could then execute it from advanced tools and then change the password, but I could not get my laptop to do this as it only showed the one user account).

I just found a link http://www.uukeys.com/reset-windows-10-password.html#part2 and wondered if this would be a safe choice.  If not, does anyone else have a suggestion?

VirusTotal had two hits on the installation program itself and none on the link above.

Dr Web marked it as Trojan.MulDrop6.35423
JiangMin marked it as 
Trojan/Regrun.cxs

On Jotti, only Dr. Web marked it (same).

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:00 AM

I went to virustotal and ran a URL search on www.uukeys.com/, every entry was listed as "Clean site".

The website that I've seen this program suggested have good reputations, so I would be inclined to say it is not only safe to use, but a good program as well.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:42 AM

That was my thought, as well, but I wanted to check with experts like you.  Sometimes programs like this that seem so great are trojans....

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:46 AM

It's always good to read a few reviews or ask question about applications you are not familiar with.  It's also a good idea to download the applications from the author's website.  Even then you face the possibility that third party applications will be included in the download.  For this reason it's a good idea to use the custom installation option.  If you use the recommended method it will automatically install all of the third party applications along with the application you wanted initially.  If you use the custom option you will have the opportunity to read through each application offered and the choice to install the applications. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

Thanks, I'm aware of those tips.

It turns out that UUKeys is only of use if you BUY it.  The trial version can boot you into the menu they show, but you can neither create a new account, nor reset your password.  I've found references to a few other programs to reset the password, but I'm wary.

I found an article on PCWorld about resetting your password by replacing Sticky Keys (I wrote above devman.exe, but that is wrong) with cmd.exe.  Unfortunately, to do that you have to have the password you forgot in order to use the CLI (command mode) in advanced tools!

I had a spot of bother with both this and MS's ADK WinPE USB boot disk.  They just wouldn't boot up.  The instructions on the page I was using neglected to mention that I would have to turn off secure boot, switch from UEFI to CSM and even try turning off USB 3.0.  Since UUKeys didn't work, and I figured out how to make the USB drive boot, I'm now trying to locate the previous set of instructions.  I will advise if I get this figured out.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

I'm guessing that without this password you can't boot into Windows?

Is this computer used primarily by the kids?

If it is and there isn't a great deal of important data on it you could just reinstall the operating system.

#7 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:12 PM

I assume this will work for other versions of Windows - at least Vista, 7, 8 and 10.  I did this on W8.1.  Sorry if anything is unclear.  It's late and I'm tired, so feel free to ask questions.

STEP 1:  Make a bootable USB flashdrive/CD/DVD
Do this on a separate computer. In case it's not obvious, you'll need to use that computer (which is not malware-infected) to create the bootable drive (or disc), preferably a flash disk as it's not always possible to boot a USB hard drive.

In order to get access to your password, you need access to the command prompt.  But, to do that, you either need a password reset drive/disc made within Windows (oops, I bet most people don't even know they can make one!), you need a bootable drive with a 3rd party password recovery/reset program, or a bootable USB drive.  Not having the former, and not knowing which 3rd-party apps are trustworthy, I chose the third option.  You could also create a bootable CD/DVD, but this wasn't an option for me.

The reason for the bootable device/disc is that you cannot access the command prompt in the Troubleshooting>Advanced options screen - accessing it normally (via the repair menu) will just result in you banging your head because you don't have the password for the account *unless you have access to a different account on the same computer, in which case you can jump to STEP 4 and skip STEP 5.*

Microsoft supplies the instructions to create the WPE bootable USB drive/CD/DVD (do it all, including downloading and installing the ADK), then go to the next step below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825109.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

STEP 2: CHANGE YOUR BIOS SETTINGS

Note: Unfortunately the MS article above (which is no longer maintained) said nothing about changing from UEFI to CSM for your boot drive, disabling secure boot, or even disabling USB 3.0 (although it does suggest avoiding USB 3.0 ports) - but you may not have to do all three.  I had to fiddle with it - the first time I turned off all three, it didn't work, but after turning them on and off, I was able to get my flash disk to boot up.

NOTE: You'll need to get into BIOS (your system settings) to turn those 3 things off.  You'll also need to change your boot order to USB first or, if your system allows it, select which device to boot from just once (e.g.: on a Toshiba Satellite, you press f12 and it allows you to choose which device, enter setup (BIOS), or even recovery).

STEP 3: BOOT THE USB DRIVE/CD/DVD

Once you've got your system set to boot from your USB drive, insert it and boot up to it.  From there, Windows PE should load right into the command prompt, which allows you to create the temporary access point explained below.

STEP 4: CREATE AN ACCESS POINT

One choice is to replace utilman.exe (Ease of Access).  http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/reset-password-windows-8.htm  (steps 1-4 only)
An alternative to the copying of utilman to C: would be to just rename utilman.exe to utilmanold.exe or something else ("rename utilman.exe utilmanold.exe"), then copy cmd.exe as utilman.exe ("copy cmd.exe utilman.exe").  I think this is easier.  Later (after changing your password!), do NOT forget to change things back!

STEP 5: CHANGE YOUR BIOS SETTINGS BACK TO NORMAL

Once you're done close the command prompt and pull your flash drive out (actually, once the command prompt appears, you can remove your USB drive).  Your system should reboot, and then you'll need to get back into your BIOS (pre-Windows basic system settings), which varies depending on the maker of your computer.  Turn USB 3.0 on, UEFI, too, and then you can turn on secure boot after that (it's dependent on UEFI), and change your boot drive back to your normal setting (your C: drive/main hard drive).

STEP 6: REBOOT

Restart your computer so that your real Windows loads to the login screen.

STEP 7: ENTER THE COMMAND PROMPT

Once you're at the login screen, you click on the Ease of Access icon, which will open the command prompt you prepared in STEP 4.

NOTE: If you never turned off Sticky Keys in your control panel, then you could have chosen Sticky Keys as your temporary access point.  You'll have changed that file in STEP 4, with the filename being "sethc.exe" instead.  Press shift 5 times at the login to enter the command prompt.

STEP 8: CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD :)

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/reset-password-windows-8.htm  (steps 7-8 only)

STEP 9: LOG IN WITH YOUR NEW PASSWORD :)

STEP 10:  OPEN THE COMMAND PROMPT IN ADMINISTRATOR MODE

How you do this varies depending on which version you use.  It may be from the search programs and files box in the startup menu in W7 (type "cmd"), or by clicking on the search icon in the start menu of W8 (type "cmd"), or something else (like using the run box in older version in administrator mode).  You'll then need to right click on the program and left click on "run as administrator" - if you do not, you will be unable to complete the next step!

STEP 11:  GET RID OF THE TEMPORARY ACCESS POINT (EASE OF ACCESS OR STICKY KEYS)

Either http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/a/reset-password-windows-8.htm  (step 11 only).  Don't forget to change "sethc.exe" if that is what you used before instead of "utilman.exe"!

or (do not do both the above and the below! Do what matches what you did in STEP 4.)

Once it is open, move to the correct directory -  type: "cd c:\windows\system32".  It should change the directory shown in the prompt.

Get rid of the command prompt file - type: "del utilman.exe" or "del sethc.exe" depending on which you used.

Rename the real file (utilman.exe or sethc.exe)" ren utilmanold.exe utilman.exe" or "ren sethcold.exe sethc.exe" depending on which you used.  If it doesn't let you, like it didn't on my laptop, then replace "ren" with "copy".

Close the command prompt.

STEP 12:  MAKE A PASSWORD RESET FLASHDISK

Get a USB flashdisk you have no use for (but it must still function!).  It doesn't have to be very big.  Keep it in a safe place so that when you forget your password again, you'll be able to reset it more easily than this.
VISTAhttps://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/959061

W7http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1904.create-a-windows-7-password-reset-disk-and-use-it-to-reset-a-lost-password.aspx

W8http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/create-password-reset-disk/874e4fb6-e16c-4f7e-aa90-9e5bc7d1bd9d

W10http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/create-password-reset-disk-for-windows-10/816dbe42-bdfb-4074-b844-41bf8ba270a3

I hope that this information is clear enough and helpful to others who have lost their password. :)

NOTE ABOUT ACCESSING ADVANCED OPTIONS:  A faster way to access the Advanced Options screen is by holding down shift while choosing restart from the Windows login screen.  This is actually faster than pressing f8 to access the repair menu first, at least on my laptop.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

I'm guessing that without this password you can't boot into Windows?

Is this computer used primarily by the kids?

If it is and there isn't a great deal of important data on it you could just reinstall the operating system.

Boot into, yes.  Log into, no.

Yes.

True, but I abhor the waste of time and potential loss of data. :)  That's why I haven't reinstalled it (since June), and now my instructions in the previous message are proven - I'm back in! :)

Thanks for your help!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

I'm glad this worked for you.  Happy computing. :thumbup2:

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

Honestly, I'd say this is a better solution than the Windows password reset flashdrive because it works on most Windoze computers, instead of just the one computer it was created for - if you know enough to be able to do what I did.  For a novice, I imagine it would be intimidating.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#11 angela0

angela0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

UUKeys, iSeepassword, iSunshare, iSumsoft, asunsoft  are actually the same password recovery software from a single developer, but with different brands and website to promote. The GUI interfaces of these tools are almost the same. Do not use the software depend on spam advertising.

#12 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 723 posts
  •  

Posted 02 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

UUKeys, iSeepassword, iSunshare, iSumsoft, asunsoft  are actually the same password recovery software from a single developer, but with different brands and website to promote. The GUI interfaces of these tools are almost the same. Do not use the software depend on spam advertising.

Thanks for the info!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#13 Dannly

Dannly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 02:05 AM

Hey,  angela0, You're a sick competitor! !!  Maliciously attack UUkeys everywhere  !  !  !   A small person !! 

Edited by Dannly, 29 December 2016 - 02:05 AM.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hey,  angela0, You're a sick competitor! !!  Maliciously attack UUkeys everywhere  !  !  !   A small person !! 

FWIW:  Your intro states that you came here "to learn".  I would consider this a first, important lesson, if I were you.

Please...read the Forum Rules before posting again.  It outlines some of the basic standards of conduct/behavior which we expect to be followed by members in their journeys here at BC.

I believe that you will clearly see...that your first comments in a topic...are clearly not in consonance with the BC Forum Rules.  Since the above is clearly your first post to a topic...I can understand how you might be unaware that there are Forum Rules and expected conduct.  I suggest that you read each one of the listed rules (link in my signature) to make yourself more fully aware of what might be expected...and what might be offensive or not tolerated.

Before you post again in any topic...please review all BC Forum Rules.  That will remove the "I did not know" card from your repertoire...and should result in you being a better member here at BC.

Thank you :).

Louis

#15 angela0

angela0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

Hi Dannly! I do apologize for my previous opinion that is completely wrong, and I am retracting my previous post.
So I wish it won't influence other people to make their own choices.
I've tried the latest version of UUKeys on Windows 7 and it worked like a charm!
Thank you for offering this great program at a low cost!

Regards,
Angela

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users