Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

UAC Blocking Task Schedule after Win7 Upgraded to Win10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nickhog2010

nickhog2010

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:26 PM

I've continued to use the Windows Vista Calendar as my Local task/appointment reminder program since it came out with Vista.  I was able to set it up and have it work perfectly in Win7 (Less the Search capability) for years now.  When I opted in to Win10 upgrade, the reminders stopped working.  Though under Win7, the WinCal.exe created tasks (i.e. Snooze for 5 mins) which ran in the Task Scheduler (ran at the lowest privileges level not Run as Admin or elevated rights).  After the Win10 upgrade, if I disable UAC, the task and reminders run fine, however, I lose use of all Metro Apps (Including many of the settings and personalize option). Says Built-In Admin cannot run these apps.   I can get the Metro Apps back with the “User Access Control: Admin Approval Mode For built in…..” setting but again, it kills the reminder task.  Task fails with "requires elevation" error. 

Can run  WinCal  and reminders from the shortcut and,  it runs at System Startup with reminders but not under Scheduled Task.  Have tried "run As Admin" settings, creating .bat scripts and setting the Run at Highest setting in Task Scheduler. When the app creates a new task, that selection is not brought forward to the new task.

Just seems to me that something in the UAC settings should fix this so I can keep teh WinCal and have full use of Win10 features.  After all, this is a single user system and I am the administrator.   This may have been broken in Win8/8.1 but, since I never run it, I'm not sure.

I know there are probably a lot of 3rd party calendar/reminder options and there's always the Login to E-mail/Live M$ calendars but, I just want to run this local, un-shared with the world.  I have over 5 years worth of history in this calendar that I hate to lose.

Please, do not suggest other programs/apps that I can use... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:18 AM

Windows 10 has apps for Calendar why don't you have look and see they are what you are looking for.

My Calendar
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/my-calendar/9wzdncrdcr1w

Mail and Calendar
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/mail-and-calendar/9wzdncrfhvqm

One Calendar
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/one-calendar/9wzdncrdr0sf

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 nickhog2010

nickhog2010
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for taking to "READ" my post...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users