Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speccy and Linux SMART discrepancies

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Until very recently I took Speccy reports as gospel, now there is a question in my mind. There are four hard drives in my desktop - one has Win 7, my software and a fair bit of room for data on it, two are purely for data, and the fourth has Linux Mint installed. This all started when I looked at the SMART characteristics on an elderly (12 year old) laptop running Linux and the disc report showed the HD was in pre-fail condition. This led me to check the drives on my desktop.

The full Speccy report via Windows dated August 3rd -

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/jaof4JF0FrJQH4mynvHdXrR

Since Windows cannot see a Linux drive I went into Linux and ran the SMART characteristics and the report was dramatically different. This image shows a combined screenshot of the SMART characteristics of my 1TB C:\ drive, the linux image was taken today after I worked out how to do a screenshot.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rua1bngwbyjrg4r/Speccy%20and%20Linux%20SMART%20reports.jpg?dl=0

My concern is that two software tests on the same drive can show such different results - why ?  And which can I trust ?  According to Speccy, at least three of my drives are A-OK, according to the Linux test I should hasten round to my supplier for four new drives. Anybody got an explanation ?

Yes, I know there are other tests that can be applied to hard drives, but these two tests are a sort of first port of call.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:13 PM

I had a disk that said it had an "imminent failure impending" but smart turned back with zero errors.

have you tried running long and short DST tests on them? if either of those fail I'd replace the drive(s) it has failed on.

The SMART It's fairly reliable, but it doesn't cover all of the types of failure modes a drive can have.

One problem with SMART is that it only tells you when a disk has had a problem in the past. This can help you to determine if a disk is going to die on you and allow you to replace the disk if a threshold is reached

The tests i trust are the Long generic DST test and the Short Generic DST test.

Hopefully that was informative to your situation.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:29 PM

The reason for this is that since SMART is a set of guidelines, many vendors report different SMART values. GSmartControl will report if it recognizes the drive vendor's SMART attribute system, and will adjust the report accordingly :)

S8ANNnz.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

• Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop;
  • Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe;
  • Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name);
  • Go in the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete);
  • Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your next reply;
  • Click Save As and attach the saved file
  • Also, go in the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply);

info_failing.png

After getting the results, open up the saved file, and look at the header.

User Capacity:    120,034,123,776 bytes [120 GB]

Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical

Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]

ATA Version is:   7

If you see the section in bold, that means that the results reported by GSmartControl should accurate because it takes into account that drive's vendor changes

I would run long/extended test in Seatools, and if it reports any of the sectors corrupt, I would replace the drive. A rule of thumb is that if the drive is a couple of years old, and some of the SMART tools say that the drive is corrupt, it likely is

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:49 PM

IMO...the Speccy results re SMART values...are only a trigger to request the OP to back up (if not previously done) and then run a bona fide hard drive diagnostic (such as GSmart), SeaTools, Data Lifeguard, and so on) to assess the state of the drive.  Speccy is a report tool and it can/should be used only as such...the results displayed require interpretation/analysis to be meaningful.  It provides the basis for meaningful exchanges between the OP and members trying to assist the OP.

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

I have no disagreement with any of the above three posts and I am aware that Speccy is only an indicator. Come to that, I have both Seagate discs sitting on my desk ready for use.

However my question was how to do two similar tools looking at the same data set come up with such dramatically different conclusions ?  And which one is more trustworthy ?

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:52 PM

The thing is, it is vendor specific because the SMART specification is...open to interpretation. Some tools take into account these changes, and other don't or they don't for that particular drive.

I hope that clears things up

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,011 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

I hope that clears things up

Short answer - No !

I have no reason to believe that any of my drives are failing and if I did I would almost certainly run the Seagate tools, but I will carry on into the forseeable future keeping my back-ups up to date, just in case.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users