Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Restarts and no Blue screen?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Taffguy

Taffguy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hello all

I wonder if you can help me?

I have recently upgraded my PC Motherboard, Ram and Processor, I beleive it is all working and went smoothly. However I keep getting random restarts? 

I do not get a blue screen, even though I have checked the settings to make sure it will show up if there is a error, rather than restarting.

Have tried all the obvious options, checking the build, Ram, Sata ports and Board etc.... reinstalled windows twice, Bios update, driver update for the whole system including graphics card, reset com, etc

Also did a System File Checker, apparently found some errors and repaired them, but its still the same.

Windows memory test came back fine, I am looking at understanding and running Memtest at the moment and will run this to 8 passes as suggested by a friend.

This problem Seams to happen more often when I am gaming, but it has done it idle once also.

All this makes me think it may be the PSU?

here is my speccy

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7bjUpxJG01M3puVOAFXpzRO

what do you think?

Any help is much appreciated,

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Taffguy, 12 August 2016 - 05:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

Wait until you catch it restarting, then immediately generate these reports:

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Taffguy

Taffguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:28 PM

Hello USASMA

Thank you for the reply, the funny thing is...... it has not done it once since I have posted this....

I have been in work all day and since coming home to do a bit of gaming, it has not restarted once, witch is strange as I had several yesterday.

The moment I do receive another restart I will of course follow your steps and post here

The only thing I did do after my post yesterday is swap the PSU power lead over from my monitor lead to my desktop and install Corsair Link ( for the water cooler on the cpu ), but surely that cant of fixed it?

Kind Regards 

Taffguy

Edited by Taffguy, 13 August 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

I'm glad to hear that it's working well for you.

There's no telling what caused it to stop (or if it's stopped).

I'll receive an email if you post to this topic with the log.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Taffguy

Taffguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

I bet it was me ordering a new PSU... the moment I return it am sure it will start again haha

Thanks for your fast replies, if it happens again I will indeed post my log, as It would be great to find out.

Much appreciated.

#6 Taffguy

Taffguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hello

I have had no random restarts until now.... after I bought a PSU did not fit it and sent it back haha

Before I buy another, I would appreciate some help in determining the fault., in case my guess is wrong.

I have gathered the information requested, but for some reason cannot for the life of me see the upload button on this post?

Much appreciated 

Edited by Taffguy, 19 August 2016 - 07:20 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:28 AM

Have you looked under "More Reply Options" in the lower right cornere of the Reply Window?

If you still can't find it, try posting it to a free file-hosting service (I suggest OneDrive)

Please don't use these free file-hosting sites.
IMO they engage in deceptive practices (such as pop-ups and pop-unders).

MediaFire (added 26Jul2016)
zippyshare (added 26Jul2016)

#8 Taffguy

Taffguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hello,

thank you for that, you are right it was under the more reply options, I was just using reply lol

you should see the requested files attached 

Thanks in advance

Attached Files

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:04 AM

The Admin.evtx file is missing from the uploads.

Please zip it up and upload it with your next post.

Once I review the Admin logfile, then I use the other reports to refine my suggestions.

#10 Taffguy

Taffguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

Sorry about that, I think this is the missing file needed, as I kept everything just in case 

kind regards 

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:01 AM

There are no unexpected shutdowns in the Admin logfile.

BUT, there are 2 unexpected shutdowns in the System event log - so I have to wonder why it's not showing up in the Admin log file?

But again, there's no repeating events that seem to be causing the shutdowns.

The Admin log shows that cmdagent.exe had problems just before logging stopped.
Please uninstall Comodo and see if that helps.  Be sure that Windows Defender and the Windows firewall are enabled so that you remain protected while testing.

This presumes that you are using the Comodo antivirus in addition to the firewall - if only using the firewall, then disregard starting Windows Defender.

In short, you should only run 1 antivirus and 1 firewall at a time.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version P2.00) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a more recent update.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Only 7 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 10586 (TH2/1511) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Very few entries in the WER section of MSINFO32.

Are you using a disk cleaner (such as CCleaner)?  If so, please stop while we're troubleshooting here

CorsairLink is known to cause problems with some Windows systems.  Please uninstall it.

Are these 2 products related to an antivirus?

Start Menu\Programs\360安全中心    DESKTOP-T3EQDE9\GAM3R:Start Menu\Programs\360安全中心    DESKTOP-T3EQDE9\GAM3R
Start Menu\Programs\360安全中心\360云盘    DESKTOP-T3EQDE9\GAM3R:Start Menu\Programs\360安全中心\360云盘    DESKTOP-T3EQDE9\GAM3R

If so, leave it installed, but don't try to start Windows Defender (but you'll still need to start the Windows Firewall unless the 360 program also has a firewall built in).

If all of the above doesn't stop it, then please try this:

In order to rule out some 3rd party software stuff, could you please try running a clean boot to see if that stops the problem?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users