Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot open IE in Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 jwilkin497

jwilkin497

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

I cannot connect to Internet Explorer or Edge in Win 10. Won't work even in safe mode. Chrome works fine in both safe and normal mode. I can live with just using Chrome but I think Outlook uses IE to contact outside servers within downloaded emails, which causes a "contacting server" issue that hangs Outlook for awhile until it goes away...grrrrr. When I tried to open IE in safe mode it said i had no network connection, which is weird since Chrome opened right up in safe mode.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

With Windows you can set Outlook to use any web browser that you want. When I click on a link in Outlook 2016 in Windows 10, my system is set up to only use Firefox to open every and all links.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

As an elaboration, this feature has been part of Windows since at least Windows 7. I know that my Daughter is using my old Outlook 2010 which has this capability.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:23 PM

Thanks, My default browser is Chrome and if i click on an embedded link in an email, it opens fine. The glitch or hang occurs when any email tries to download additional content...I get the "contacting server" box until it stops. I just assumed this had something to do with IE not working on my laptop since I upgraded to IE11 and Win 10

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:46 AM

Outlook does not use IE to retrieve your emails.
Follow below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1:

Open Command Prompt as a administrator by pressing  Win + X, and then press A letter key.

Run below command from Command Prompt that is open as administrator.

Sfc  /Scannow

You would use DISM to fix Windows component store corruption when a sfc /scannow command is unable to repair corrupted or modified system files because the component store (source) is corrupted.

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

SFC should be able to repair the files afterwards. Execute below command to make sure corrupted system files repaired.

Sfc  /Scannow

Step 2:

Reset Internet Explorer setting to it default settings.

Reset Internet Explorer Settings to default in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

Step 3:

The No Add-ons mode allows Internet Explorer to temporarily run without any add-ons like Toolbars, ActiveX controls, etc. The No addons mode in Internet Explorer is rather useful when you want to troubleshoot incompatible browser add-ons or extensions. It is also very useful when you want to troubleshoot a problem like say freezing of your IE, to identify whether it is related to any add-on.

Add-ons are programs that supplement your web browser with additional features such as tool bars and ActiveX controls. Some come pre-installed in Internet Explorer while some are installed via the Internet. It is relatively easy to install Internet Explorer add-ons. They require your permission before getting installed on your system. But some may do without your consent.

Open an elevated Command Prompt window (press Win + X, and then press A key) andtype below command, hit Enter, to open IE in No addons mode:

“%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe” -extoff

Then if you need to, the  through Internet Options > Manage Add-ons, you can enable or disable each add-on to identify which, if any, add-on is creating problems. Useful if your Internet Explorer crashes or freezes  frequently and you want to make it run faster.

Step 4:

Clean Boot

If the  error is caused by a current running process, restart your Windows system using the clean boot method will allow you to troubleshoot if a current service or process is causing the error to appear.

With a clean boot only the necessary services and process that are required to operate Windows are started when you boot your computer.

Follow these steps:

• Start Windows

• Open Run dialog box by pressing  7W6b39o.png   keys.

• Type msconfig and press Enter key

• Go to General tab > check Selective Startup option

• Uncheck the Load startup items check box

• Go to Services tab

• Check Hide all Microsoft services check box from the bottom left corner of the window

• Click Disable all

• Click OK

• Restart Windows

To reset these changes and start your Windows normally, follow the same steps:

• Go to the General tab

• Check the Normal Startup option

• Click OK

• Restart

2GvnEq2.gif

#6 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Thanks Freebooter...Sfc/scannow came back fine. I was able to reset IE Default settings in safe mode. Did a clean boot and IE still comes up empty-it loads the shell but no internet content.Chrome still works regardless of whatever I do..lol.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer 11.

To uninstall IE11, follow these steps.
  • Open “Control Panel“.
  • Select “Programs“.
  • Select “Turn Windows features on or off“.
  • Uncheck “Internet Explorer 11“, then click “OK“.
  • Select “Yes” on the warning about Turning off Internet Explorer 11.
  • Restart your computer
To reinstall IE11, follow these steps.
  • Open “Control Panel“.
  • Select “Programs“.
  • Select “Turn Windows features on or off“.
  • Place a check mark for “Internet Explorer 11“, then click “OK“.
  • Select “Yes” on the warning about Turning on Internet Explorer 11.
  • Restart your computer

Edited by FreeBooter, 13 August 2016 - 11:45 AM.

2GvnEq2.gif

#8 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:21 PM

uninstalled and reinstalled IE 11 per your instructions...no change...

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:23 PM

If you have third party firewall and antivirus programs uninstall them to see issue resolves.

2GvnEq2.gif

#10 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:29 PM

I had Mcafee but I uninstalled everything using the removal tool but kept their safekey program. Only using windows defender. I think there has to be a conflict somewhere though...just don't know how to find it!

#11 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:37 PM

Uninstall safekey program as well and use MCPR tool to clean up left over settings and files.

How to uninstall McAfee Windows security software using the Consumer Products Removal tool

2GvnEq2.gif

#12 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:20 PM

completed using MCPR and uninstalled Safekey...no change :(

#13 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:30 PM

Open the Start menu (press Win key on the keyboard) and type Powershell. When it comes up in the search results, right click on it and choose "Run as administrator". Or you can also press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open it as administrator. Opening PowerShell as administrator is important, otherwise, the commands you run will fail

Copy and paste the following line into the PowerShell window and press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage –AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

This tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart your computer  — you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

2GvnEq2.gif

#14 jwilkin497

jwilkin497
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

The search feature in WIn 10 does not work either...I can't access powershell in this fashion

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:34 PM

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

2GvnEq2.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users