Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop goes to Automatic Repairs with no success

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Drj312

Drj312

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

Laptop is an HP envy. After turning it on, it goes to automatic repairs and it fails. It is running windows 10, upgraded from 8.1.

I ran chkdsk and it found no errors. sfc found errors and some could not be repaired. I followed the directions here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html and my windows folder is empty.

I am not sure what to do at this point

Something else to note is that in the menu after repair fails, there is an option "Continue - Exit and continue to Windows 8.1". Seems strange that it says 8.1 instead of 10

Edited by Drj312, 12 August 2016 - 03:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:05 PM

What happens if you exit and continue to Windows 8.1?

Do you have recovery/reinstall media for W10?

Have you tried to RESET using the Keep My Files option (or have you tried the RESET using the Remove Everything option)?

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

The MemTest86 will work w/UEFI systems - but the MemTest86+ will not

You'll have to make some changes in order to get the hard drive diagnostics to work (disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy/CSM mode).

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:37 PM

Have you tried to RESET using the Keep My Files option (or have you tried the RESET using the Remove Everything option)?

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/initdiag.html

You'll have to make some changes in order to get the hard drive diagnostics to work (disabling Secure Boot and enabling Legacy/CSM mode).

It just goes back to the attempting repair screen.

Yes, I have the media creation tool on an external hard drive. I've tried the repair my computer option using that and it sends me to the "Choose an option" screen with Exit and Continue, Use a device, troubleshoot, and turn off your pc. I've tried troubleshoot -> startup repair and that fails.

I tried the refresh option, which keeps the files, and it immediately fails.

I won't have time tonight to try those diagnostics, but I will tomorrow.

#4 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:53 PM

Just finished running memtest.

48/48 tests passed

Lowest error address: N/A

Highest error address: N/A

Bits in Error Mask: 00000000000000 (might be the wrong number of 0s)

Bits in Error - Total: 0 Min: 0 Max: 0 Avg: 0

Max contiguous errors: 0

I will update with hard drive diagnostics later

#5 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:41 PM

I'm running hitachi's drive fitness test but it does not detect any hard drives. I have an Hitachi hgst hts541010a9e680 and a samsung 840 evo ssd (windows is on the ssd). I could not find any bootable diagnostic software for samsung SSDs. Something else I noticed is that the SSD is not listed as a boot option in the BIOS

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:47 AM

Try running the Seagate Seatools for DOS.

If it still doesn't detect the hard drive, try enabling/disabling AHCI in the BIOS/UEFI (that's what we used to do back a couple of years ago)

DON'T FORGET to put the setting back to where you found it when done - the system won't boot otherwise!

There aren't any reliable SSD tests.  Most people use the SMART attributes - but they aren't (IMO) very reliable.

If the SSD isn't listed in the BIOS - then there's a problem with it being detected.
If it can't be detected, it can't boot.

Check to make sure that the SSD is fully inserted into the SATA plug on the motherboard and that the cable (if any) is also securely fastened to the motherboard.

Recently I found a system that the drive caddy was just a bit too long, and it prevented the system from seeing the hard drive.

Inserting the drive (carefully!) without the caddy proved this to be the problem.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:14 PM

Try running the Seagate Seatools for DOS.

If it still doesn't detect the hard drive, try enabling/disabling AHCI in the BIOS/UEFI (that's what we used to do back a couple of years ago)

DON'T FORGET to put the setting back to where you found it when done - the system won't boot otherwise!

There aren't any reliable SSD tests.  Most people use the SMART attributes - but they aren't (IMO) very reliable.

If the SSD isn't listed in the BIOS - then there's a problem with it being detected.
If it can't be detected, it can't boot.

Check to make sure that the SSD is fully inserted into the SATA plug on the motherboard and that the cable (if any) is also securely fastened to the motherboard.

Recently I found a system that the drive caddy was just a bit too long, and it prevented the system from seeing the hard drive.

Inserting the drive (carefully!) without the caddy proved this to be the problem.

Seatools didn't see anything either. Regarding AHCI, from http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Enable-AHCI-in-Windows-8-BIOS-HP-Envy-Sleekbook-6-1153eo/td-p/2408893

"The BIOS in HP consumer notebooks made in the last few years is already set to AHCI, and it cannot be changed to any other setting."

I'll open it up next...

#8 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 06:30 PM

Ok opened it up and I didn't see any obvious problems. See the link below for pics for reference. I'll wait for your comments before I reassemble

http://imgur.com/a/4szs7

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:29 PM

Can't see anything wrong in the pics.

But we do have occasional problems with the cables that go over hard drives.

The cables may break or become loose.  Check them for kinks/bends/breaks and good connection(s).

You're going to have to find a utility that can run diagnostics from the UEFI.

There's no guarantee that that will work, but it's the best guess that I have right now.

Something like the Ultimate Boot CD (but that can boot into PE)

I have one that I made, but it's almost 800 mB in size and I can't even figure out where to upload it (if you've got an idea, I'll send you the ISO that way)

Another thing would be to try another hard drive.

If you don't have a spare, you can purchase one from a store that will refund you money if it's not needed.

#10 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:42 PM

Can't see anything wrong in the pics.

But we do have occasional problems with the cables that go over hard drives.

The cables may break or become loose.  Check them for kinks/bends/breaks and good connection(s).

You're going to have to find a utility that can run diagnostics from the UEFI.

There's no guarantee that that will work, but it's the best guess that I have right now.

Something like the Ultimate Boot CD (but that can boot into PE)

I have one that I made, but it's almost 800 mB in size and I can't even figure out where to upload it (if you've got an idea, I'll send you the ISO that way)

Another thing would be to try another hard drive.

If you don't have a spare, you can purchase one from a store that will refund you money if it's not needed.

There was somewhat of a kink in the smaller connector.

I actually used the Hitachi DFT using Ultimate Boot CD. There were some other diagnostics listed in there that I could try. Sorry, what do you mean "boot into PE"?

You might be able to share your iso with me using google drive. In any case, I won't have time to run any other tests until tomorrow night. I also have a sata to usb cable arriving tomorrow. I'll try hooking up the ssd to my desktop. Hopefully that works and we can narrow down the issue some more.

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:53 PM

I followed the directions here http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html and my windows folder is empty.

That's not good. If your C:\Windows folder is empty, then the only course of action would be a reinstall or restoring from backup :(

But, before we get too ahead, how did you check the Windows folder? At this point?:

When you have located your Windows system drive, type CD \windows\system32\config and press <ENTER>:

If you typed cd \windows\system32\config then it wouldn't work.

When it goes to advanced repair, and says it failed, go to Advanced Options > Start-Up Settings > Restart

When this screen comes up, press f5 to go to Safe Mode

win10_safemode_13.png

Let us know if you can go to Safe Mode

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 05:15 AM

Hitachi DFT is good enough for our purposes.  No need for my large file.

Sorry about the PE comment - I was actually referring to the ability to:

- let you boot from the boot menu on the system (has to do with Secure Boot and UEFI bootability)

- will mount an environment that will allow you to run the diagnostics (PE stands for Preinstallation Environment)

The easiest way to describe it is that PE is like the Windows version of a Live Linux distro - but you can run some Windows applications while in it (to include the Windows versions of the Western Digital and Seatools hard drive diagnostics).  I'm uncertain about the Hitachi DFT and the Ultimate Boot CD's boot mechanism - but it seems  similar to a PE type of environment.

#13 Drj312

Drj312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:19 PM

Ok so using the sata to usb cable, I plugged in the ssd to my desktop. Windows did the normal sound effect for when something gets plugged in. However, all that shows up in This PC is (D:) and when I double click it says "Please insert a disk into D:". Trying Properties -> Tools -> Error Checking check, I get "The disk check could not be performed because Windows can't access the disk." I have another 840 evo in the desktop, so the drivers should be fine. Samsung magician does not recognize the drive either.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:03 AM

So we don't get confused here, I just made my comment about the testing.

We'll wait on CKing123 for further suggestions.

Good luck!

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:55 PM

Considering that you ran chkdsk before with no errors in Recovery Environment, I think its likely not an issue with the disk.

I suggest you to go into Safe Mode to see if the problem still occurs:

When it goes to advanced repair, and says it failed, go to Advanced Options > Start-Up Settings > Restart

When this screen comes up, press f5 to go to Safe Mode

win10_safemode_13.png

Let us know if you can go to Safe Mode

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users