Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

simple windows 10 home network

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chucksno

chucksno

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

I have a new desktop computer win 10 and seem to be having difficulty creating a home network on a previously working network.  I have some computers working but not others.  Confused by login and passwords.

1 desktop on ethernet

1 seagate storage device ethernet

2 laptops both win 10

1 xbox

etc

I had this working before with the previous desktop.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:25 PM

Can you explain what you mean when you say you are confused by login and passwords? Are you getting a password error of some type? Also, can you explain how you had things configured? Are you using the Seagate as a NAS for off network access?

First thing that comes to mind is to check that each PC is set to the same homegroup and IP subnet (192.168.x.1). See option one as shown here.

If that doesn't work. See if you can ping 1 computer from another. That will isolate if it's a network issue or PC issue.

Edited by Trikein, 12 August 2016 - 08:26 PM.

#3 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:20 AM

Hi Trikein thanks for the help.

1) on the desktop (Chuck) when I want click network I see a laptop Genesis and Carlie.  When I click on Carlie I receive the message box that says Windows Security,  Enter network credentials.  enter your credentials to connect to Carlie and it has a username and password field.  No matter what combination I put in, it doesn't work.  So how do I find this information on each laptop?  I may simply have a username or password but dont where to find this on the 2 laptops?This may not be the final problem but this is where I am currently stymied.  Thanks!

1a) The Seagate I can connect to currently so that should be fine.  I simply use to back up desktop

2) IP subnet IPv4 address (Chuck) 10.0.0.7,  (Carlie) 10.0.0.4, Genesis 10.0.0.5      So obviously all different.  Does this have anything to do with dynamic assigning or should I make these all the same?  if yes how

thanks again! 

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:23 AM

1. Does the laptop require a username and password when you turn it on? Or more specifically, when you try to log into the user you are trying to use? If not, try removing any password protection from the sharing service itself:

1. Click Start 
2. Under you user picture, right click Network 
3. Choose properties (this opens Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center
4. Click Choose homegroup and sharing options in the lower list (this opensControl Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Homegroup
5. Click Change advanced sharing settings... (this opens Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings
6. The setting right before the last one is: Password protected sharing

2. Your IP is fine. What I meant is if the desktop was 10.0.1.5 and the laptop was 10.0.0.5 because one would have gateway 10.0.1.1 and the other would be 10.0.0.1. As long as everything but the last octet(set of numbers) matches, you are good.

#5 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:08 AM

ok getting closer but nowI have the Desktop (Chuck) seeing both Carlie and Genesis Laptops which is good.

The 2 laptops however see the desktop Chuck when I click on network but when I click network it brings up the the message box that says Windows Security,  Enter network credentials.  enter your credentials to connect to Chuck and it has a username and password field as before. I tried some combinations that I think were it and it let me in and showed me the printer and users folder.  So I thought great,  However when clicking  on users it would only show me the folder called public which isnt any of the info on Chuck desktop.  

All Chuck advance sharing are the same as the laptops.  So I am wondering since I may not of had the right username and password it limited me?  I dont have a password to get into Chuck upon bootup.  Now that I have connected to Chuck, if I go out of file explorer and then back in to network it calls it up automatically w/o asking for a username password but the results are the public folder only as described earlier.  Any thoughts and Again thx for the help!! 

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:05 AM

"So I thought great,  However when clicking  on users it would only show me the folder called public which isnt any of the info on Chuck desktop.  "

Ok looks like you are seeing the shared folders on Chuck but the folder you want isn't showing. Do you have physical access to Chuck? If so, log in and check that the folder you are trying to access it set to shared:

1. Open up the File Explorer by clicking the yellow folder icon on your taskbar.
  2. Browse to the folder you want to share.
  3. Click on the folder just once to highlight it.
  4. Now click on the Share tab on the ribbon at the top of your screen.
  5. Click on where it says Specific people.
  6. In the box that pops up, type in Everyone and press Add, or if you are just wanting to share with a specific user type in their username.
  7. Finally, press the Share button.

#7 chucksno

chucksno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:24 AM

Trikein, all is working at this point that I can see...thanks to you.  Greatly appreciated!

Chuck

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:04 PM

No problem! Happy to help.  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users