Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Windows 10 damaged... how to activate on new hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 greymann

greymann

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:52 PM

I did the upgrade to Windows 10 on a Windows 7 pc when 10 was still free. Now I have a Error 0xc000021a on startup. Startup repair, restore and all of the other options in Troubleshooting don't work.  It won't start up in safe mode either.  I'm looking for the solution that allows me to keep as much of my old settings as possible (Chrome stored passwords, etc) and, if I have to reinstall the system, for me to still have the free license rather than having to buy a new Windows 10.  

Another option I have is a 2nd newer hard drive running for a fresh system install, if needed. I could go into all the things I've tried to fix the old system startup problem but will just leave it open for advice for now. Thanks!

Edited by greymann, 12 August 2016 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:56 PM

Have you approached this problem from a failed hardware standpoint? It may not be a corrupted OS, but a failed component.  And.....this won't help at this point, I understand....but as soon as you get the problem fixed and you are back up and running again, immediately make a backup image of your entire partition. That would solve your problem in the few minutes it would take to restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 greymann

greymann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:08 PM

Have you approached this problem from a failed hardware standpoint? It may not be a corrupted OS, but a failed component.  And.....this won't help at this point, I understand....but as soon as you get the problem fixed and you are back up and running again, immediately make a backup image of your entire partition. That would solve your problem in the few minutes it would take to restore.

Failed component as in the hard drive? Ram? I could start pulling and replacing things to see which it might be I didn't think that error message indicated hardware problem.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi

Now I have a Error 0xc000021a on startup.

Are you getting a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) (This is a different BSOD, so don't worry too much about the error code being wrong)?:

BSOD_Windows_8.png

if I have to reinstall the system, for me to still have the free license rather than having to buy a new Windows 10.  

If you have upgraded once, it creates a digital entitlement, so you can install Windows 10 again without a key :)

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 greymann

greymann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

Hi

Now I have a Error 0xc000021a on startup.

Are you getting a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) (This is a different BSOD, so don't worry too much about the error code being wrong)?:

=

if I have to reinstall the system, for me to still have the free license rather than having to buy a new Windows 10.  

If you have upgraded once, it creates a digital entitlement, so you can install Windows 10 again without a key :)

-CKing

The screen looks just like the one you posted, with my error code in smaller text. Doesn't look like the old blue screen of death I'm used to.

Any hope of recovering the damaged startup/system?

And if I were to install a new system 10 (I guess with the download available for USB disk?) keeping my old files and settings, on either the drive with the old OS or the new one, how would it know I have a license? Just log into Microsoft account?

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:54 PM

Any hope of recovering the damaged startup/system?

I have a question:

It won't start up in safe mode either

Do you mean you can't get to the Safe Mode using F8, or you boot into Safe Mode and get a BSOD?

The screen looks just like the one you posted, with my error code in smaller text. Doesn't look like the old blue screen of death I'm used to.

Microsoft redesigned the BSOD in Windows 8. In Windows 10 Anniversary Update, they even added a blue code, so you can visit the Blue Screen help page, but since you don't have it, you are on build 10586.

And if I were to install a new system 10 (I guess with the download available for USB disk?) keeping my old files and settings, on either the drive with the old OS or the new one, how would it know I have a license? Just log into Microsoft account?

Once you upgrade to Windows 10 and it is activated, it creates a digital entitlement that is specific to the hardware, so when you reinstall, you skip the product key, and when it connects to the internet, it will be able to verify that there is a digital entitlement for this computer, and it will activate.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#7 greymann

greymann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:57 AM

Yes. I still got the error screen in safe mode. The free windows 10 upgraded was actually done on another pc... but I took the hard drive with windows 10 out of that one and put it in this new one. It ran just fine, without asking for any license or activation. I wonder if it will become an issue now that we're reinstalling the OS.

Edited by greymann, 13 August 2016 - 08:59 AM.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 09:12 AM

Yes. I still got the error screen in safe mode. The free windows 10 upgraded was actually done on another pc... but I took the hard drive with windows 10 out of that one and put it in this new one. It ran just fine, without asking for any license or activation. I wonder if it will become an issue now that we're reinstalling the OS.

That just might be your problem. The drivers are not set up for your current computer and your copy of Windows 10 might not even be legal for that computer.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

Bug Check 0xC000021A: STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

This error occurs when a user-mode subsystem, such as WinLogon or the Client Server Run-Time Subsystem (CSRSS), has been fatally compromised and security can no longer be guaranteed. In response, the operating system switches to kernel mode. Microsoft Windows cannot run without WinLogon or CSRSS. Therefore, this is one of the few cases where the failure of a user-mode service can shut down the system.

Mismatched system files can also cause this error. This can occur if you have restored your hard disk from a backup. Some backup programs might skip restoring system files that they determine are in use.

From Windows Recovery Environment choose Troubleshoot-> Advanced Options -> Advanced Options. pen the Command Prompt and type below command to repair any damage system files.

SFC /SCANNOW  /OFFBOOTDIR=d:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\windows

Replace the D: drive letter with Windows 10 installed partition letter.

When computer boots into WinRE environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#10 pattyandme

pattyandme

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

windows 10 activates to the mother board mac address creating a key /name entry in there data base of the win key and the mac address. the only time you would have an issue with activation is if you change your mother board..

hard drive doesn't matter. reinstall the os from an iso download and as long as the mother board is the same it will activate.

if you happen to kill your motherboard you can still call the help desk and have them transfer the key to the new mac address on the new motherboard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users