Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft appears to still be pushing "10"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:31 PM

I did a factory reset on my Acer mini about two weeks ago, I went through the update regime all went fine except got a page that said my version of Window 7 was outdated.  I have WGX control Panel so I just ignored it, I turned on again about a week ago did a few updates and got the got the out of date message.  This morning same scenario!!  Me thinks MS is not giving up on pushing 10, wonder if other have had the same issue.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:22 PM

Where and in what form did the "windows 7 out of date" message appear? More description would make it easier to work out if there is something still going on or if this was just a random error of some sort. I mean part of me wonders if this was just a message saying that updates (as in KB updates) to windows 7 were available, but then the thought that ms might try to continue distributing GWX related nasties after the deadline is not totally inconceivable. The more you can tell us the more we can work out, what about a screenshot?

Since the 29th I haven't seen the likes of KB3035583 re-appearing in my updates list, so I thought they had stopped being rolled out. When you did all this updating on a reset machine did you see KB3035583 or KB2976978 being offered at all in your update list?
This question goes for everyone else seeing this thread too, since July 29th have you seen any machine being offered the updates KB3035583 or KB2976978, and for anyone who has seen a machine that GWX did get onto, have all the noticable effects of GWX (like the taskbar icon and the pop-ups and and way windows update would silently download windows 10) gone, or have some remained around?

Edited by rp88, 12 August 2016 - 03:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

As you can see I had a very clean system -0- programs, was doing a normal update.  All three times when it was done updating I got a "light blue screen/not a web page" telling me my version of 7 was outdated.  It wanted me to update I clicked LATER!!!!!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 12 August 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:02 PM

Well, if you do a clean reinstall of 7 at this point, and do not allow the raft of hundreds to thousands of updates that have occurred since the baseline release you used, it should come as no shock to get a message telling you that your version of Windows 7 is outdated.

This verbiage does not match any of the standard Windows 10 update stuff that appeared, so I suspect this is a warning that critical updates are needed, this has been detected, and you either have Windows Update turned off or it's having difficulty of some sort.

Any clean installation of Windows 7 usually spends days, plural, getting just the critical updates that occurred over the years since the various baselines were released.  This is perfectly normal behavior not only for Windows, but for any OS that acts as modern ones do and looks to apply patches in a cumulative way if installed from an old baseline.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

If it does turn out that the message is generated because Windows 7 is far behind on updates, I recommend doing them in "clumps" of 5-10 related updates, beginning with critical catagory, and moving downward to nice to have updates.  I hide any and all hardware updates -- 'cause if the hardware works, don't fix it  :)

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

It went through about 3 hours the first time, the next two were fairly short maybe 30 minutes.  I am sure once I put office ans a few others it will go bonkers feedind many more.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,803 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:45 PM

Any time I've had to reinstall Windows 7 afresh over the last several years I have come to expect at least three days of almost constant Windows Updates followed by about 4 more days of very frequent ones.  This can go longer if, for some reason, the updates get "out of order" or one is downloaded that relies on another that doesn't "take" on the first update attempt for some reason.

And I'm only talking about OS updates here.  If you've installed things like MS Office 2010, for example, there are hundreds of updates to that software, too, and others like it you may have installed.

You can still use the computer, of course, but you'll have constant bandwidth and processor competition from Windows Update working overtime.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:32 AM

Yesterday "svchost,exe(netsvcs)" went to near 50%.  Since the machine has not been on any bogus sites just BC & MS.  There should -0- chance of an infection.  I tried every MS fix I could find, after spending several hours I am doing a new restore.  This time I will only put MSE on and let it go through the update dance again.  During the last round I had loaded GWX control panel right after MSE, maybe it bothered something during updated so I will run them clean this time then load it.

Phil

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,081 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:48 PM

OldPhil, you didn't answer some parts of my question:

When you did all this updating on a reset machine did you see KB3035583 or KB2976978 being offered at all in your update list, also that other GWX related update that affects windows 7 only (not 8.1) KB2952664?

If you did then something a bit odd might be going on, if not I would guess it's just the equivalent of the little message that appears before login on windows 8.1 if updates have been found last time you were using it and are piling up in the list waiting for you to download and install or hide.

Edited by rp88, 16 August 2016 - 02:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

rp88 the screen said it was an outdated version and gave the option of going to 10, I would slit my wrists before going to 10.  That being said I did another recovery as syshost was bugging.  I am now running fine just having an issue getting SP1.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623642/sp1-install-problem/

Edited by OldPhil, 16 August 2016 - 06:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users