Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 Dell Inspiron 660

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:32 PM

All of our USB ports have not been working on a machine since Windows Updates have been applied.

I cannot boot to safe mode since the mouse and keyboard will not work.

What can I do to access Windows 8.1?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:44 PM

See if doing the following gets you to Advanced Options with USB support. You may be able to do a System Restore. You shouldn't have to shutdown and restart more than 3 or 4 times to get Advanced Options.

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.

#3 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

I am trying to get to safe mode but the usb ports all do not work. How do you access safe mode with no keyboard our mouse working?

Do you think refreshing the pc might help this issue?

Edited by walkfacefirst, 12 August 2016 - 12:58 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:59 PM

You don't press Safe Mode, you press the power button for a hard shutdown. Then press the power button again until you see the spinning circle then press the power button again to shut it down. Do this for 2 or 3 times and you should get Advance Repair, hopefully with USB support.

You can also create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive using the Media Creation Tool. Boot the install media and click on the Repair Computer Link. Then do a System Restore.

w8recovery04.jpg

#5 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:08 PM

There is option for usb support in the advanced menu options? 

I tried doing a system restore and it gave me an error message.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:23 PM

No. Did you have access to the mouse and keyboard in Advanced Repair Options? If your mouse and keyboard worked in Advanced Boot Options then open a command prompt and use the commands shown on this page. Use sfc /scannow first. Don't do a Refresh or Reset. Doing a Refresh will keep your data but you would lose all installed programs and apps. A Reset would wipe everything.

http://www.howtogeek.com/222532/how-to-repair-corrupted-windows-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

#7 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for your help but I had to do the refresh computer and we unfortuantely lost the apps. Thank for your help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:41 PM

Your Welcome,

Sorry to hear that. I assume your personal data was intact. 

For future reference if you have an external drive with the capacity use an imaging program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper to create disk images to the external drive. If you have a problem where the computer no longer boots because of a bad drive or malware you can use the recovery media Macrium and Aomei creates to boot and recover your disk image. By making regular disk images you would be able to retain all programs and apps and be back up in minutes vs hours if you needed to replace the drive.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

#9 walkfacefirst

walkfacefirst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:46 PM

Does the windows system image do the job just as well and have a usb system recovery as well?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:06 PM

I believe Windows 8 has a System Image creator with a USB recovery drive but I have never used it. I personally use Macrium and never had an issue with it. The USB flash drive macrium creates supports UEFI/SecureBoot and USB 3 which makes backups and restores fast. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users