Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop battery calibration

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:44 AM

My laptop battery doesnt last as long as it used to from a full charge. I am considering the calibration process as described here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00817650

My computer is a HP and I intend to use the method for "in use".

I also run a health test on the battery:

Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID 32780 2011/06/29Hewlett-PackardPrimary Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard Serial Number 32780 2011/06/29 Chemistry LIon Long Term 1 Design Capacity 45878 Last Full Charge 45878

Bit of a discrepancy here. It is not a new battery, far from it. There should be at least a measurable amount of wear. Anyway why would HP advise completely discharging a Li-Ion battery? Thats a big no no isnt it?

I will eventually need to buy a new one but that will also need calibrating anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jahkyah

Jahkyah

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:06 PM

From that article I wager they are wanting you to completely drain your battery to the point that the laptop shuts down.

#3 The-Administrater

The-Administrater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

From that article I wager they are wanting you to completely drain your battery to the point that the laptop shuts down.

Yeah I know.  Just wondering if its OK to do or if it will do more harm than good?

Recommend a different method?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users