Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reboot And Select Proper Boot Device

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mancshell

mancshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

HI

I Am just wondering if someone can please help,

ive been searching all day to find a solution,

my daughter has a toshiba laptop, and she had a problem with her wifi list

so she decided to press some buttons (shes 12  :blush:  :whistle:  ) and said she tried to reset her laptop, (why i don't have a clue :nono: )

when she rebooted her laptop she saw a black screen and saw this message

(REBOOT AND SELECT PROPER BOOT DEVICE OR INSERT BOOT MEDIA IN SELECTED BOOT DEVICE AND PRESS A KEY)

Now i have been in the bios of this laptop and the harddrive is the priority drive listed

and i know she has not knocked the device and the laptop is only 8 months old so i dont think the drive has failed, but i am not sure how to get her windows 10 up and running as normal, and cant find a way to reset her laptop back to factory mode, i would be very grateful if you could help with this issue, :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: 

thanks for your time and for reading

michelle

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:05 AM

Is the hard drive...the first device to be booted in the BIOS?

Sounds (to me) as if the boot order has become jumbled and the first device for booting in the BIOS is now something else.

Louis

#3 mancshell

mancshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Hi There

Thanks for replying to my post, i had a look at the bios menu, and the hard drive looked like it was the first one in the list and the 2nd was a usb drive, i am not sure what else i can do in bios to get it going, but i noticed one slight issue, in the advanced option/ system configuration, the  boot mode option is greyed out so i cant even select it, but i can see that uefi boot is selected, so i don't know if that is related to this or not, i will do a search on this though

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

You might have to boot the Windows install or Windows rescue DVD and select Startup Repair.  I got that error message on my laptops twice yearly, and the Startup Repair option from Windows install DVD or Windows rescue DVD fixes it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 mancshell

mancshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

my daughter said she selected recovery mode she tried to click the continue to windows 10, but instead her hand slipped and she clicked on the use a device, (such as usb drive or recovery disk) and then she tried to restart the laptop and saw the error message reboot and select the proper device, which now makes sense, the only thing is now that we don't have a revoery media disk, because her laptop doesn't even come with one, the only one I have is a backup from another toshiba laptop which has windows 8 instead of windows 10, so I bet that wont work will it? so iis a matter of purchasing one from toshiba which is saw were £40 for a disk ??

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:14 PM

I think Hamlius or somebody knows where one can get an ISO, I haven't kept up with ISO availability.

Re-selecting recovery mode is not an option?  However, be aware, that recovery probably will put the laptop's hard-drive right back to what it was when the laptop rolled off the factory floor.  I was going to suggest making a usb boot stick containing EasyBCD, however, I'm not sure if that will do what you want.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 August 2016 - 02:18 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:31 PM

Exact system model, please?  Toshiba makes plenty of laptops and they are not all configured in the same manner.

Louis

#8 mancshell

mancshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:41 PM

laptop model is yf057038p and the make is satelute c40 - -10q I'm not sure if its 32 or 64 bit, we only got it as a starter laptop until she was able to look after one more advanced,lol

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:43 PM

Is THIS it ?

Louis

#10 mancshell

mancshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:15 AM

yes thats the one :clapping: 

#11 mancshell

mancshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

**UPDATE**

Last night before i went to bed i remembered that i had a copy of windows 10 on a flash drive which i purchased for my old desktop pc, so this morning i thought i would give it a go in my daughters laptop, and after a little bit of fiddling around it let me do a repair of the laptop and installed a new copy of windows 10, so she is really chuffed now because its all back up and running, :bananas: i'll sure remember to make a recover drive for the laptop ASAP just in case her hand slips on the wrong button again in future, :smash: 

Edited by mancshell, 13 August 2016 - 07:17 AM.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:15 AM

Nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users