Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2010 marking things as read

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alexsmith2709

alexsmith2709

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

I have outlook 2010 on a windows 7 laptop. I have an IMAP account setup in outlook but emails get marked as read as soon as this same account is synced on another device. The emails are not read on the other device. This is very annoying as im not sure which emails actually get read and which ones are missed.

I have checked things like unchecking the option to mark as read if they are viewed in the reading pane, i cant see any settings in webmail (the account is with 1and1). The emails come through and are marked as unread until a sync is done on another device (iPhone) and then immediately all emails are marked as read.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Alex

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:14 PM

With IMAP, you aren't downloading the email, rather you are syncing the email headers between your Outlook account and the IMAP server. So if you actually OPEN the email, a read flag is attached to the header. However, you can use Outlook's preview pane to preview the email without opening it. This will keep it unread on the server. See here on how to use the preview pane.

There might be other methods involving changes on the IMAP server, but I will leave those suggestions to someone more experienced then I.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

What is the other device? Have you checked the settings on that device?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users