Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome & Safezone

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

A while ago, I noticed Chrome was getting really slow, so I decided to try Avast's Safezone browser (is it a mod of Chrome?), but it quickly became bogged down, too, so I returned to Chrome, which seemed better.  I have long had Chrome set to only load tabs that I click on to reduce the load on my underpowered HP Mini 210-4000 (Intel Atom CPU N2800 1.86GHz) with W7 SP1.  It's impossible to increase the RAM above 2 GB.

As an aside, I see no way to remove Safezone from my computer.  It's not in the Programs CP, nor is it possible to disable it in the settings in Avast.

A few weeks ago, the situation became worse.  Even when only using three tabs, what now happens is that if I switch between them (e.g. FB, gmail and BC), if I'm lucky, there is a delay after which the contents of the tab appear.  If I'm unlucky, the tab has to literally reload (e.g. Gmail's inbox has to be reloaded).  I only have 5 extensions running - I disabled the others weeks ago to see if it would help (it didn't): AdBlock Plus, Adobe Acrobat, Avast Online Security, Google Analytics Opt-out Add-on (by Google) and IBA Opt-out (by Google).

I'm running Avast Free, WinPatrol, MBAM Premium and MBAE Free.  I also try to keep SpywareBlaster up to date.  I have SAS installed but don't use it.

This computer isn't strong enough to run EAM.

So, I'm wondering if it's the Avast extension, or (hopefully not) malware.

My wife and I are in and out of the hospital because of her chemo sessions, so I'm not able to respond regularly.  She goes in again on Monday, and I'm with her 24 hours a day til she comes out again.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: 
I disabled the Avast extension and, immediately, the problem stopped.  I don't know if I should be thankful that the solution was so simple, or worried that Avast was hard at work blocking attacks.

Edited by RevGAM, 12 August 2016 - 09:56 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, as someone who also had the Avast extension enabled at some point, definitely keep it turned off. It works grand for some people, but it can be a massive resource hog for others. I assume this was the extension that showed sites as safe or not?

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:48 AM

I'm not sure what it was doing other than slowing my system down, I just know it helped to improve security while browsing.  Unfortunately, although I have it turned off and things are much better, the problem still exists - albeit not as severe as before.  I'm not sure why - this didn't used to be a problem, so I'm wondering if there are programs running in the background (or malware) that I'm unaware of.  I tried to turn off the HP bloatware and succeeded with most of it but there are two "Launchbox" things that refuse to be disabled at startup (I tried via WinPatrol, but after restarting, they were active again, albeit with different names than before).  I'm also wondering if I'd be better off moving to another browser, like Vivaldi or something in order to reduce resource usage since my computer RAM can't be upgraded.  Any thoughts?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:12 AM

Have you tried checking msconfig to see what startup programs and services are running?

#5 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:34 AM

I had not bothered to look at msconfig because I used WinPatrol and CCleaner (in admin mode) to clean up the startups.  Experts don't recommend msconfig for permanent solutions, so use WP and CC, and sometimes mess up the registry. ;)

Out of curiosity since you asked, I just looked and didn't see anything suspicious, but I wasn't using msconfig in admin mode, and I haven't done malware hunting in a long time, either.

Any info about superior browsers?

We just got back from the hospital, but will be going out of town Monday to another one....

Edited by RevGAM, 20 August 2016 - 05:35 AM.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#6 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

Well chrome is a great browser. Have you tried cleaning out temporary files, uninstalling any extensions that you don't need, updating and, failing all of that, reinstalling it?

#7 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:57 AM

Try running MiniToolbox with only the reporting boxes checked and post the log. That will show what programs are installed and if any errors are occurring.

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:26 AM

Well chrome is a great browser. Have you tried cleaning out temporary files, uninstalling any extensions that you don't need, updating and, failing all of that, reinstalling it?

I'm running a minimum of extensions (3), and I ran CCleaner to make sure Chrome wasn't gunked up.  It hasn't really made a big difference.  I may try reinstalling.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#9 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:30 AM

Try running MiniToolbox with only the reporting boxes checked and post the log. That will show what programs are installed and if any errors are occurring.

Ok, I only checked the reporting boxes (there are two, but there are also a lot of list boxes I didn't check).  It didn't find anything at all.

MiniToolBox by Farbar  Version: 17-06-2016
Ran by Me (administrator) on 24-08-2016 at 22:29:07
Running from "C:\Users\Me\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium  Service Pack 1 (X86)
Model: HP Mini 210-4000 Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Boot Mode: Normal

========================= IE Proxy Settings: ============================== 

Proxy is not enabled.
No Proxy Server is set.

**** End of log ****

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,022 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Firstly you'll want to set chrome back to being your default browser, this is done from the "default programs" menus in "control panel". Make sure not just to set it under browser but to look in the part about default programs for various file types and make sure it is default for all the internet related ones.

The you can remove safezone through avast's settings. Go into the "programs and features" part of "control panel", look at the list, find avast, right click and choose "change". You can now see the component parts of avast and tick and untick which you do and do not want, you can untick for the safezone browser and for some of the safeprice browser plugins and things they offer. Make sure to keep mail, web and file shields all ticked. I use avast myself so did this once when they tried to put safezone on my system. But I'm logged into linux not windows right now so can't check the names of ALL the things which can be ticked and unticked in the "change" options for avast and advise exactly which to leave in place and which to remove.

Edited by rp88, 24 August 2016 - 01:48 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

One thing to add to rp88'c comments. While mail shield is fine, make sure the option to append protected by avast to the end of any mail is disabled.

#12 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2016 - 10:35 AM

Firstly you'll want to set chrome back to being your default browser, this is done from the "default programs" menus in "control panel". Make sure not just to set it under browser but to look in the part about default programs for various file types and make sure it is default for all the internet related ones.

The you can remove safezone through avast's settings. Go into the "programs and features" part of "control panel", look at the list, find avast, right click and choose "change". You can now see the component parts of avast and tick and untick which you do and do not want, you can untick for the safezone browser and for some of the safeprice browser plugins and things they offer. Make sure to keep mail, web and file shields all ticked. I use avast myself so did this once when they tried to put safezone on my system. But I'm logged into linux not windows right now so can't check the names of ALL the things which can be ticked and unticked in the "change" options for avast and advise exactly which to leave in place and which to remove.

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I set it as my default browser a few days ago.  It had been changed to IE for a reason I no longer recall.

I also neglected to mention that I figured out how to get rid of SafeZone a couple of weeks ago because of someone's comment about the CP.  It's gone.

A while after disabling the Avast extension, the problem went back to its previous severity. :(

One thing to add to rp88'c comments. While mail shield is fine, make sure the option to append protected by avast to the end of any mail is disabled.

Why?

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#13 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 07:05 AM

Well its sticks "this emails is secured by avast" or something like that to the end of all emails you send, which is a little annoying.

#14 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:48 AM

I may have finally located the cause of the problems with the tabs reloading and other slow-downs.  I was reviewing what services and processes were running when I discovered Windows Defender was on.  I turned it off.  If I don't post further, then that resolved the problem.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#15 HairyApricot

HairyApricot

• Members
  • 197 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2016 - 06:54 AM

Yeah that and avast running would cause major issues as they are both active anti-virus protections :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users