Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Presario 1800T no video

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 newage

newage

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Compaq Presario 1800T is an old laptop I know, but I really want to try to get it working again. It was my fathers so it has sentimental value. My issue is there's nothing on the screen, and external VGA isn't working.

Since HP isn't showing all the laptop's specs, here is some of them.
- Pentium III proc.
- ATI 3D Rage M-128

If you need a motherboard picture, I can post that.

The Pentium III is on the top of the board, the 3D chip is on the bottom. I've seen lots of posts similar to this that say to reflow the GPU if you don't get video. So I tried a heatgun set to 300 Celsius on the GPU for 5 minutes. Nothing fixed. Then I tried it on the CPU and other chipsets and around the board for about 5 minutes roughly. Still nothing.

Also pulled out the CMOS battery, tested it, still good. Pulled out the ram, nothing changes. Tried a few different power bricks too.

The fan spins, I can press the DVD tray button to open it, the HDD spins up, but that is it. Also the keyboard lights like capslock and numlock do nothing. Left the laptop on for 15 minutes, it never shut off so it doesn't have a heat issue.

Edited by newage, 12 August 2016 - 07:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mac29

Mac29

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

I think you're on the right track re: the video. I have some busted laptops I mess with from time to time but like you I'm no expert at diagnosing. I presume you get absolutely nothing onscreen. I would guess, like you, it's something on the mobo/video. I have heard of really old systems where re-seating the cpu works. Did that on a pc and it fixed it : )   Laptop video problems on motherboards are difficult for me. Proprietary hurdles. Wish there was a universal that would mate to various...

Only other way I can think of to test is using parts off the bay and such. If you try re-working something, the external VGA might be the shortest/cheapest route.

Mac

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Give this a try.  Disconnect from AC, pull the battery, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, reinstall the battery and AC power.  See if it turns on.  It sounds stupid, but frequently works.

Edited by Kilroy, 13 August 2016 - 08:40 PM.

#4 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:10 AM

Might be right about the CPU. The Pentium III chip has fallen out, probably from applying too much heat to the board. Not sure how to re-attach it.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 08:16 AM

Fallen out? Can we have some motherboard pictures?

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:22 AM

If you mean that it physically has come loose I would be very surprised if this is the case.  The heatsink on top of the CPU has four screws holding it in place.  The heatsink would have to be removed before the CPU could be removed.

You can watch a video of this computer's motherboard being removed, this includes removing the heatsink and CPU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:57 AM

There is no heatsink. This laptop has 1 tiny fan in the back that removes the heat from the entire motherboard.

There is 1 big long flat piece of metal underneath the keyboard that touches the processor. This somewhat acts like a heatsink, but the processor is really small.

The GPU is on the bottom of the motherboard which doesn't touch anything and with no paste, heatsink, etc because I think the AMD RAGE x2 doesn't really get hot (I guess) lol.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

If you had watched the video you would have seen the exhaust fan removed and the motherboard turned over where you can see the "heat tube" which is a copper alloy attached to the motherboard.  You will also see the four screws removed from the heatsink attached to the heat tube, this allows you to remove the heatsink to expose the CPU.  You will also notice that on the underside of the heatsink there is thermal compound applied to the heatsink.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:35 AM

If you had read to what I posted, I'm trying to tell you Arachibutyrophobia, there is no copper heat sink, etc. I have completely disassembled the laptop to the bare motherboard.

I'll go take a video of the entire laptop fully disassembled to show you. Btw, there was absolutely no thermal paste on the GPU, and the CPU had a very tiny tiny tab of white cheap crappy thermal paste.

Just so you know, this is a Compaq Presario 1800T which is a very old Pentium III laptop with Windows 2000. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02008065.pdf

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:40 AM

Did you even look at the video to see that it is for your computer?

I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to help you.

#11 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2016 - 11:52 AM

This is the Pentium III CPU and I don't see a way of locking it down. (I added the new paste)

IMG_0376.jpg

This is the under side just in case you want to see it - 

IMG_0378.jpg

This is how the entire laptop is being cooled -

IMG_0379.jpg

This is the GPU, an AMD RAGE Mobility 128 (no heatsink, under the board) -

IMG_0380.jpg

The CPU heatsink -

IMG_0381.jpg

Edited by newage, 27 August 2016 - 12:12 PM.

#12 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:39 PM

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:35 AM

That copper sheet with the holes at one end is the heatsink.

When you attempted to reflow the solder on the CPU socket I hope you removed the CPU first since 300C = 572F.  This is around five times the processor's maximum operating temperature.  If you left it in while you attempted to reflow the solder it is probably fried.

When you had the laptop apart did you take a look at the electrolytic capacitors to see if any of them were bulging at the top or leaking?  If there are bad caps this could effect the voltage regulator on the motherboard.

Have you used a multimeter to determine if the output of the power adapter is providing the proper voltage?

The fact that the LEDs indicating power and hdd activity are not lighting up makes suspect that either the CPU is no longer working or there is a problem with the power supply.

I can understand your sentimental attachment to this computer, but it may cost a fair amount to purchase the needed parts, if they can be found.  If this is the CPU you could get away with just purchasing one.  But if the integrated graphics has failed you will have to replace the motherboard to correct that problem.

#14 newage

newage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2016 - 10:44 AM

Doesn't matter, I bought another laptop to replace the parts. It's working now. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users