Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop does not want to boot !

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Electricfat

Electricfat

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

Hi guys recently I shutdown my laptop and then when I went to boot it up again she didn't want to do anything. Its kind of diffcult to explain the problem which is why I made a video, but basically its a really weird boot loop which does not allow me to do anything. It begins with the usual introduction which goes on for a while then goes to the "Your PC ran into an error and needs to restart" page and it then tries to open up the automatic repair. The automatic repair page never actually loads it just gets stuck on a black screen. However all my hotkeys are still working so it still reconizes the drivers ?? I have tried to reinstall windows completely that has been completely unsuccessful as well. So what are your opinions on how I can fix this ? 

The Video: /watch?v=Mx65rZ9wUt8 (Add on to youtube URL) 

The Laptop: Toshiba Sattelite P850 

PART NO: PSPKFA-049001

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

Let's run the Startup Repair

In order to do this you will need to create a Windows 8.1 installation disc.  Follow the instructions below to do this.

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.

You may be asked for your Windows product code for this installation (you usually will not) you can use Speccy to find it.

How to find your Windows product code with the Speccy Snapshot

Please download and install Speccy to find your Windows product code.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see an image similar to the one below.

speccy1_zpsrueynimp.png

Under Summary click on Operating System.

speccy2_zpsxmwtld56.png

The product code is listed as Serial Number:.

How to use the Startup Repair from the installation disc.

You will need to open the BIOS and change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd is the second device.  Press F10 to save your changes and exit the BIOS.

Start the computer so you can open the tray of the optical drive and place the Windows 8.1 installation disc in it, then shut the tray and turn off the computer or restart it.

When the installation disc begins the installation you will see a image like the one below.  Click/tap on Repair your computer, or press the R key.

wind8%201_zpsnmzw9ibi.png

You will now begin the Automatic Repair, select Troubleshoot from the options.

wind8%202_zpsnhsasph7.png

Select Startup Repair.

Select the operating system.

Select the Administrator account, if prompted to do so.

Wait for the Automatic Repair process to finish.

Click Shut down or Advanced options, once the process is complete.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:10 AM

Thanks for the reply ! 

Unfortunately when I try to load up the CD all it does it get stuck on a black screen. 

Edited by Electricfat, 17 August 2016 - 02:24 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:37 AM

Can you boot into the BIOS?

You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that your optical drive is the first device in the boot order and the hdd/ssd is the second device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:58 PM

Yeah thats what I did, It gets to the screen where it says "Press any key to boot from CD" and when I press a key it goes to a black screen and I can hear my optical drive then it just gets stuck there. 

#6 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:02 AM

F*ck it, i'm gonna nuke the drive and try to install windows after that. If that doesn't work I will just burn it. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:31 AM

The Media Creation Tool allows you to create a bootable USB flash drive or iso file. If you downloaded an iso then use Rufus to create the bootable flash drive. Select GPT partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked. In the FreeDos dropdown box select iso image and browse to the iso. Click Start.

Attach the flash drive and tap F12 at boot for a boot menu to select the flash drive

You can try getting into the Advanced Boot Options by doing the following. 

1. Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  2. Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  4. Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  5. Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.

#8 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

I can't actually get into the Automatic Repair Screen, it just gets stuck on a black screen for eternity. 

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 07:11 AM

There is no spinning circle at boot? See if using a USB flash drive while tapping F12 for the boot menu gets you something.

#10 Electricfat

Electricfat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:23 AM

Fixed the issue, the hardrive had enough. New one in and I am typing this with my mended laptop ! 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,831 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:40 AM

Thank your for taking the time to post an update. Glad you are back in business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users