Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A strange/mysterious localdisk:F found

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 wonder25

wonder25

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello,

Just a moment ago, a message popped up from a software which scans for malware which i use called McShield.

It said that there was a drive or a local drive of F and that i did not have access to it. I am the only one who uses this laptop and i am the admin, so i found this very strange.

i tried number of things like trying to open it, when i clicked on it, it somehow brought me to the properties page (of the disk i am assuming) allowed me to rename it, but it didn't let me apply the new name, as (i did not have access) and trying to scan with avast but it did not allow me, so i decided to restart my computer to see what happens.

i clicked restart on the start menu, and then left the room, came back and nothing happened, and the start menu was still open. so i pushed ctrl+alt+delete and clicked on the power button and it had options of powering off or restarting with an update, so i restarted it with an update. After it updated, and as i checked in the file explorer, the local disk was gone. 

I saw (when i googled) many cases of unknown disks popping up but none like my case so i am asking here.

Do you think i should be alarmed as it could be a virus or malware or i am hacked etc.?

Or could this just be a bug of windows 10?

Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:00 AM

G'day wonder25, and Welcome to BC

Do you have Malwarebytes installed...?

If you do, please update it and run a scan

If you dont.........

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) to your desktop.
NOTE. If you already have MBAM 2.0 installed scroll down for further instruactions

Double-click mbam-setup-2.0.0.1000.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.

At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to the following:

Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
        A 14 day trial of the Premium features is pre-selected. You may untick this, ......it will not diminish the scanning and removal capabilities of the program.

Click Finish.
    On the Dashboard, click the 'Update Now >>' link
    After the update completes, click the 'Scan Now >>' button.
   Or, on the Dashboard, click the Scan Now >> button.
    If an update is available, click the Update Now button.
    A Threat Scan will begin.
    When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
    In most cases, a restart will be required.
    Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

IF MBAM 2.0 IS ALREADY INSTALLED.
.....UPDATE IT.....then run a Threat Scan
When the scan is complete, if there have been detections, click Apply Actions to allow MBAM to clean what was detected.
In most cases, a restart will be required.
Wait for the prompt to restart the computer to appear, then click on Yes.

To Find Logs and Export as .txt
  After the pc has  restarted and you are back at your desktop, open MBAM once more.
    Click on the History tab > Application Logs.
    Double click on the Scan Log which shows the Date and time of the scan just performed.
    Click 'Export'.
    Click 'Text file (*.txt)'
    In the Save File dialog box which appears, click on Desktop.
    In the File name: box type a name for your scan log.
    A message box named 'File Saved' should appear stating "Your file has been successfully exported".
    Click Ok
    Attach that saved log to your next reply, by copy and pasting.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:42 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/623097/mysterious-added-drive/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 wonder25

wonder25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:18 PM

The Scan log (a separate one for the scan itself) for some reason does not exist. But there was a 'Protection  Log' for the scan with other things which i exported only the 'Scan' log. Here it is pasted down below:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Update, 13/08/2016 8:43 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, Remediation Database, 2016.7.5.1, 2016.8.8.2, 
Update, 13/08/2016 8:43 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, IP Database, 2016.7.6.2, 2016.8.11.1, 
Update, 13/08/2016 8:43 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, Rootkit Database, 2016.5.27.1, 2016.8.9.1, 
Update, 13/08/2016 8:43 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, Domain Database, 2016.7.6.7, 2016.8.12.4, 
Update, 13/08/2016 8:43 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, Malware Database, 2016.7.7.1, 2016.8.12.10, 
Scan, 13/08/2016 9:59 a.m., SYSTEM, ANITA, Manual, Start:13/08/2016 8:44 a.m., Duration:1 hr 14 min 39 sec, Threat Scan, Completed, 0 Malware Detections, 0 Non-Malware Detections, 

(end)

Here are some details of my PC:
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS

#5 wonder25

wonder25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:21 PM

Thanks for the link! I have had a look at it before i am posting here, but i have tried, but i don't it's the same case, it doesn't appear in any of those situations which i am confused about, if it is just a bug now or a virus etc. that has disappeared after a restart. But thanks 

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:55 PM

I think that this is a bug associated with upgrading to Windows 10 Anniversary Edition, 1607. Did you recently get the big Windows 10 Anniversary upgrade? If you did, that might be the cause.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 wonder25

wonder25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

No, I got my windows 10 when it came out with the free upgrade, not the anniversary one. 

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

The Anniversary Edition came out last week, it was a Windows 10 update. Check your computer to see what version you have.

Go to Command Prompt (Admin)

Enter> winver

The pop up will tell you what version you have.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 wonder25

wonder25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:45 PM

I have done this, and here is an image attached of the pop-up.

Attached Files

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

Ah, you haven't received the latest update yet. Well that eliminates that as a probable cause to your current situation.

I wished I could help you, but somebody will be along real quick to help you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 wonder25

wonder25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Oh I see. Okay, thank you for trying to help me. 

Ah, you haven't received the latest update yet. Well that eliminates that as a probable cause to your current situation.

I wished I could help you, but somebody will be along real quick to help you.

what version would the latest update be and how would i get the latest update? i was wondering just out of interest.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,628 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:01 AM

The most current version of Windows 10 is version 1607 build 14393.51. I upgraded by performing a clean install using an ISO that I downloaded from Microsoft but you should have gotten it simply as an update through the Windows 10 Update in settings. It should just come automatically but you always go to settings then go to updates and check for updates. That should install it right away.

It is a big update and might take more than an hour to install, so do it when you have the time.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users