Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP clean install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rm22

rm22

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

Hi, I've done a clean install of XP SP2 after using Ubuntu on this PC for a long time. There were several drivers missing - I've found drivers for ethernet and mouse, but not for audio so there's no sound.

The motherboard is Aopen 915MPLOB - no cards, everything is builtin. The only mark on the tower is from an inspection Sept 2005 - there's no manufacturer info.

Any suggestions on finding a driver? And i did try to install a fully patched iso, but it rejected my activation key so i went back to the original install disk.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Open Device Manager. Right click every device with a yellow exclamation mark and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line for each device.

The closest I get get to your model of motherboard was this.

http://global.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?auno=1240

ftp://ftp.aopen.com/pub/eig/mb/i915gmpl/i915gmpl-eg-e0411a.pdf

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 August 2016 - 10:57 AM.

#3 rm22

rm22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 01:48 AM

Open Device Manager. Right click every device with a yellow exclamation mark and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line for each device.

Excellent!! Thanks - found the audio driver. I'd like to update a few drivers still, but am not getting through to an actual download (all paid scanner products) I'll post tomorrow when i can get back on that PC

#4 rm22

rm22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:43 AM

OK - I think I'm all set. I finally found a direct VGA driver download at Driver Guide & once I installed the 'unofficial' SP4 (SP2+SP3+all updates to April 2014) I was able to update the few drivers that needed it via Device Manager.

Activation was also an issue - I have a legit key, but it wouldn't activate. The instructions on 'wikiHow' "How to Activate Windows XP..." worked

Thanks again for the help

Edited by rm22, 14 August 2016 - 01:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users