Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ddr2

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 07:46 PM

What are the main differences between DDR memory and DDR2 I know that DDR2 is newer and probably better, but I don't know by how much. Could you compare the two by saying that 256 DDR2 is better than 512 DDR? Or what is the main difference.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Qas

Qas

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

DDR stands for Dual Data Rate and is the replacement for SDRAM. The best analogy we have come across for how DDR works is: If the memory is visualised as a bicycle pump, SDRAM “pumps” push data into the “tyre” each time the barrel of the pump is pressed down, whereas DDR pushes data both on the downstroke and the upstroke of the barrel so filling the “tyre” at twice the speed.

DDR has a data rate of 200/266/333/400 MiB/s compared to DDR2 which has a data rate of 400/533/667 MiB/s, it is clear to see that from a speed point of view DDR2 continues where DDR leaves off.

in other terms its better performance and faster

#3 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 10:42 PM

I would not compare 256 to 512, as 256 mb ram really can't do anything nowadays with modern games and apps. But considering larger values, I would rather a gig of ddr2 ram than 1.5 gig of ddr. Games load faster with ddr2, especially in dual channel mode, as textures can be swapped to and fro a lot quicker, as can sounds and game files. Applications run a lot faster as the memory can ustilise its capacity faster than ddr, causing things to run a lot smoother and with less freeze times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users