Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting blue screen at start up and cannot do a factory reset

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kiawahgator

Kiawahgator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

So I just built a new computer. I put everything in perfectly and was very careful in the process. When I start of the computer I get the option to boot Windows normally or to do a system check. When I boot Windows normally it gets to the starting Windows screen then freezes. Soon after I get a quick flash of a blue screen, then the computer shuts off. When I do the system check it gets all the way up to a menu in which it gives me the option to do a factory reset. When I do the factory reset it says that something went wrong and it couldn't. I'm kinda trapped here, can you guys help me out? Btw I am using the hard drive from my old Hp pavilion on Windows 7.

Mod Edit:  Merged/deleted duplicate posts of same topic in different forums - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 12 August 2016 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:07 PM

Where did the OS on the drive come from??   You can't take a drive from one machine to another and expect it to boot.  The OS needs to be install with the current hardware and that will send it off into never never land, looking for certain hardware.  If you have the original disk for the OS, boot to that and do a REPAIR.  This will find the needed files and drivers to match the present hardware, it does not disturb and other files or programs, just the OS.

#3 Kiawahgator

Kiawahgator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

Where did the OS on the drive come from??   You can't take a drive from one machine to another and expect it to boot.  The OS needs to be install with the current hardware and that will send it off into never never land, looking for certain hardware.  If you have the original disk for the OS, boot to that and do a REPAIR.  This will find the needed files and drivers to match the present hardware, it does not disturb and other files or programs, just the OS.

Okay but what would I do if I didn't have the original disk in order to get everything up and running. Is their anyway for me to do this without just buying a new copy of Windows 7

Edited by Kiawahgator, 11 August 2016 - 09:30 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:37 AM

You cannot normally use the hard drive...from a different system (particularly an OEM system) in a totally different system.  Different license rights/privileges, different drivers, different settings.

Louis

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,764 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:56 AM

Without that disk, you're asking for info that is not allowed on this site.  The cure??  A new version maybe would overwrite enough to get a clean install but any attempts with a new OS disk of the same version will wipe the drive before formatting and installing.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:16 PM

I am using the hard drive from my old Hp pavilion

That is the problem, as Louis pointed out. The old hard drive has drivers for components peculiar to that old OEM HP machine, and those components do not exist in your new machine, plus you have an entirely different motherboard. Try to start in Safe Mode and see what happens.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 The-Administrater

The-Administrater

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Without that disk, you're asking for info that is not allowed on this site.  The cure??  A new version maybe would overwrite enough to get a clean install but any attempts with a new OS disk of the same version will wipe the drive before formatting and installing.

What info exactly, how to reinstall an operating system on a different computer? Not exactly illegal and in any case you can PM OP the info if you havent already.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:24 PM

I think someone had better read the Forum Rules...particularly the following:  "All help must be provided in the forums or on our IRC Chat channel. We do not allow support to be provided or requested via personal message, email, or remote desktop control programs (Logmein, TeamViewer, etc)."

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

You have two problems.  As previously mentioned, you can't take a hdd/ssd that has a Windows operating system installed which was installed on one computer and then moved to another.  When Windows is installed part of the process involves Windows doing a search for the drivers needed to start the computer.  If you take this hdd/ssd and install it in another computer the operating system will try to load the drivers it used previously and the computer will not be able to start because of the lack of the proper drivers.  When the operating system tried to use the System Recovery partition it would reinstall this version of Windows, but it would also reinstall the drivers for the HP computer.  If you introduce a different motherboard and/or CPU those drivers will not work.  It you had been able to actually boot into Windows after using the recovery partition you wouldn't be able to activate this copy of Windows.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users