Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Verizon Quantum AC1750 wireless password won't change

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bandit5906

Bandit5906

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:21 PM

Trying to change above router's wireless password to something other than OEM.

I can change the WPA/WPA2 password and the new password will display in the settings after saving everything. However the new password does not change on the router itself. The original OEM password is still being used by the router. Changing a password is not a complicated process (normally) and so I am thinking that maybe this router (Verizon refurb) probably has a issue.

Before I contact Verizon I was wondering if anyone had a thought as to something I may have missed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

Are you trying to change the password for the wireless connection or the password to access the router's 192.168.x.x webpage?

Also, do you rent your gateway or did you buy it? If you rent it, it is possible a system or process is resetting the device back to default on reboot. Can you change other settings like your network name(SSID) or username?

#3 Bandit5906

Bandit5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:54 PM

I am trying to change the wireless password only. I can access the router and make the changes, but the router still uses the original password. I applied and saved the changes I made and the new password shows in the list of settings the router displays. I did not reboot the router. I have changed the password on several of these routers and never had a problem until this one. I have never had a router display one password and yet use another one!

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

Can you show a screenshot or describe where exactly you are changing the password? Make sure to exclude any private information. I am wondering if you are entering in a password in the WEP field while you use WPA2. Or you are changing the password for 5Ghz network while you are connecting with the old password on the 2.4Ghz network. The correct procedure can be found on page 45-46 of manual.

#5 Bandit5906

Bandit5906
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

I can't do it tonight as I am not near the house, but I'll have access to it tomorrow. As I said the protocol is WPA/WPA2 and when I scroll down the page for WPA/WPA2 the setting display the new password however the router still is using the original password. All the devices which use WiFi from the router have to use the original password.

It doesn't matter if I change the password for the 2.4 or the 5.8 or both at the same time (the router allows you to do one, the other or both). The router saves the new settings and then displays the new settings, but the devices (computer or cell phones) never loose their connection to the router and when I check the router security settings in the wireless network properties it displays the original password. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users