Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Side By Side Error - Win10~~ MOVED

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GrymReaper

GrymReaper

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

Hi all thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ok today I turned on my laptop and noticed that there was a windows update.  Once at the desktop, I attempted to open up Firefox and I received the following error, "The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail."

I did not like the bad English (..for more detail.) so I did not even try to run that executible.  However, I did do some digging around and it appears that its is some type of C++ runtime error.  That being said, I was going to uninstall and reinstall all the C++ programs, but anytime I attempt to uninstall anything, it says the windows installer is not available.  Odd.

I then began to try a system restore to a date prior to this morning, and although there was a restore point two days ago, it did not complete.  I went to refresh windows with the option to install a fresh copy but keep all my files, but again, it was unable to finish so there was nothing completed.

I hope this is enough information to troubleshoot, I am totally clueless because I cannot add or modify or uninstall anything. 

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

Not malware , moved to WIN 10
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

Sorry about that- thanks!

Edited by GrymReaper, 11 August 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

Hi

Could you run SFC?:

SFC Scan

1. Right-click on the Start w8start.png button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

2. When command prompt opens, Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Right-click > Paste) the following command into it, then press Enter

sfc /scannow

3. Once it finishes, copy and paste the following into the command-prompt window and press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt"

4. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Right-click on this file and choose Send To...Compressed (zipped folder). Please upload this zipped file CBS.zip to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

Link to document: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kB1s6BymZwd0dJeTVlbXVPbWM

#6 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

You have quite a bit of manifest corruptions :(

SFC is not that great at finding them, so we will use DISM:

DISM RestoreHealth

1. Right-click on the Start w8start.png button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

2. When command prompt opens, Copy (Ctrl+C) and Paste (Right-click > Paste) the following command into it, then press Enter

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

3. Once it finishes, copy and paste the following into the command-prompt window and press Enter.

4. Once this has completed please go to your Desktop and you will find CBS.txt => Right-click on this file and choose Send To...Compressed (zipped folder). Please upload this zipped file CBS.zip to this thread

Please Note:: if the file is too big to upload to your next post please upload via a service such as Dropbox or One Drive or SendSpace and just provide the link.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Github | Keybase

#7 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:12 AM

Yes its very odd...not sure what happened during that windows update.....running DISM now, will post log when finished

#8 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

Ok all completed:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0kB1s6BymZwQVpfcnFmSERPYXc

#9 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

DISM repaired all of the manifests:

Spoiler

Please run SFC again and post the CBS log:

SFC Scan

sfc /scannow

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#10 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

Things definately smoother.  here is the link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0kB1s6BymZwdjZMRVhmb25FanM/view?usp=sharing

#11 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

SFC scan is clean.

Things definately smoother.

Are you having any other problems? Does Firefox open now?

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#12 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:16 PM

No everything seems good, programs that I could not open are working.....uninstalling a few items that I don't need anymore also work now.

If this wasn't some type of malware/virus, why do you think there were so many issues?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!

#13 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:47 PM

If this wasn't some type of malware/virus, why do you think there were so many issues?

Windows Update is a complex system, and with complex systems, there are bound to be problems. The key with Windows Update is resilience! It will automatically attempt to repair component store if it finds any problems, but sometimes, it thinks everything is fine. Using DISM, we manually initiated repairing component store (RestoreHealth), and so it fixed things up. Most of the time, Windows Update just works. Pretty rare that it doesn't

-CKing

Github | Keybase

#14 GrymReaper

GrymReaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Well thanks again, I thought I was on the route of a fresh Windows install....have a great weekend!!!!

#15 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

You too :)

-CKing

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users