Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Speed....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MasseyMan65560

MasseyMan65560

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:11 AM

Not sure where to put this..

I live in a semi rural area that does not get the joys of Fiber internet..

I currently have 125MBPS connection that regularly runs closer to 135 with about 6-7 on the upload.. with a cheap leased box (Arries)

They just added a 250MBPS package with a special price and they do offer that special price for current customers with upgrading..

It would cost me roughly $30 more a month..

Everyday stuff and with my son gaming online with mostly Steam and Robolox nothing major
plus tablets and phones that use Wifi while we are at home which on WiFi we get closer to 75-80..

would that upgrade be anything more than a "Hey my internet is 250 meg" thing or will I really see a difference.

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2016 - 10:30 AM.
Moved from System Building to ISPs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:10 PM

First, what model box/modem/gateway do you have? Also, who is your ISP?

I am not familiar with non-US ISP's but assuming you are using cable broadband with EuroDOCSIS (maybe CM820?) with 8 downstream channels with a max download of 343Mbps. Please note that internet speeds are generally given in MegaBITS(Mb) and not MegaBYTES(MB). With how DOCSIS works, it's good for your modem to have double the hypothetical download speed that you sign up for. So a 8x4 tuner modem will be good up to around 170Mbps, anything above that should use a 16x4 tuner modem atleast. I say modem, but there are also wireless gateways and phone/internet models too depending on your needs.

#3 isaccasi

isaccasi

• Members
  • 119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hello mine is 321Mps/55Mps my isp is Stofa i live in denmark. :)

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 27 October 2016 - 08:56 PM

Hi to you lucky people,

Our government updated the system country wide, now the average speed is ( Ha , Ha ) 25Mbps download (or up to 100Mbps, if you wish to pay a fortune), and they are proud of this, with 3 to 5Mbps upload...

Sorry but Australia is in a second rate Internet country ..

5751518490.pngShare Link: 

Edited by Jaycan, 27 October 2016 - 09:03 PM.

#5 dinotech-stjames

dinotech-stjames

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Massey do you currently suffer from any bottlenecking at 125mbps download? If not, than you already have your answer, it will only give you bragging rights.. but hey if you find a use for it, it's fair game!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users