Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need AV Software Recommendation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:09 AM

I need to find a different AV program.  I am currently using WebRoot and it is interfering with a few of my programs.  I have a music notation system and it totally screws up the functions, special menu item toolbars.  I've tested it and the functions work properly when I disable the Identity Protection feature.  I've traded many emails with the technical people at Finale and we've determined it is Webroot that is causing the problem.  He has had issues with other customers using WebRoot.  I am also having issues with a program that calculates math.

I have been in touch with WebRoot and they said they will work with me to resolve the issue.  However, I have A LOT of work to do (and to catch up with due to these issues) and just want to migrate to a different program that will be hassle free.  I've asked the software people what exactly is causing this issue but they won't share that information.  I want to know so I can make sure the next program won't have the same problem.

I used to use AVG free version and had quite a few instances of my email/flickr accounts being compromised.  I have had no problem of this nature with WebRoot.

Can someone suggest another AV program that won't interfere with my software?

Much thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:33 AM

Emsisoft Anti-Malware which is also an anti-virus program, not free after 30 days trial.  To me, it is a little more assertive than Malwarebytes Anti-Malware [another good program].  Emsisoft set up automatically creates rules for many known-good applications and utilities; for those that it didn't:  after I created "Allow All" within my Rules [for some of my known-good applications and utilities], I had no more problems with "alert!" concerning same.  Also, Quietman7 has a couple of real informative really in depth boilerplate posts that you will find useful!

Addendum:  I was comparing Emsisoft Anti-Malware operations with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware operations.  For a long time, EAM was not also an AV;

and now, of course MBAM remains only an anti-malware program.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 02:55 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Hi:

You ask a very common question with no "best" or "right" answer.

There are many fine options.

I suggest starting with @quietman7's detailed, comprehensive and authoritative pinned topics:

Answers to common security questions - Best Practices

And, specifically: Choosing an anti-virus program

>It's very important to have ONLY ONE INSTALLED ANTI-VIRUS.  Other anti-virus applications need to fully and cleanly removed, with the vendors' removal tools, if available.

>>Otherwise, one can run into performance problems and reduced (not enhanced) security.  Merely disabling the other AVs generally is not sufficient, as the remnant drivers can cause issues.

Thanks,

MM

P.S. Quick note: MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) mentioned by @RolandJS is NOT an antivirus and is not a substitute for one.  It is an anti-malware application. So, even with MBAM Premium, you would still need a robust AV.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:58 PM

"...MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) mentioned by @RolandJS is NOT an antivirus and is not a substitute for one.  It is an anti-malware application. So, even with MBAM Premium, you would still need a robust AV..."  I never implied MBAM was an anti-virus.  For some time before EAM became both an AM and AV, I used EAM just for that purpose, the same purpose for MBAM -- anti-malware.  Of course, one has to have an AV and an AM, or a product with both AV and AM, in their well-layered defense.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

Here are links to some BC discussion topics with opinions from other members:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

I'm mot just looking for an AV program.  What I said was I need one that isn't going to interfere with my software apps.  That is SPECIFICALLY what I need to know.  I am not computer-savvy enough to know what exactly Webroot is doing to interfere with my software.  I asked the Finale people why and he didn't answer my question.  As I said, I don't want to invest in another program only to find out it also interferes with my software.  I've never had this problem before so clearly whatever technology Webroot uses somehow interrupts the normal functions of my other software.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:20 PM

I'm not familiar with any anti-virus interfering with other software unless it is security related.

What software are you referring to?

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:27 PM

I'm not familiar with any anti-virus interfering with other software unless it is security related.  What software are you referring to?

I think I know.  Years ago, during W95-W98SE days, a computer gaming magazine's writer rated AVG as one of the best AV programs with a small footprint, with the least amount of interference and "meddling" and "diddling" with normal and gaming operations.  Basically, AVG was pretty much a set it, forget it.  I believe Windows Firewall and either MSE and one other anti-whatever, or, EAM [well-thought-out, properly, carefully, configured the first time and with only minor adjustments periodically to accomodate new programs] will be the best set up for thread starter's day to day computer operations, minimum interference, minimum "InYourFace," and so on.  I say minimum because there are NO such things as: "absolutely no interference, absolute seamlessness," once only SetAndForgetIt.  Doesn't exist.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 08:33 PM.

#9 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:27 PM

As I said in my original post, WEBROOT.  The program has a privacy protection feature that interferes with software functions.  I was having issues with a program function acting inappropriately and I turned off this feature in Webroot and the problem disappeared.  I've been in touch with Webroot and with the primary program with which I am having issues, Finale Music Notation software, a program I use extensively.  Tech support told me they have had other customer issues with Webroot.

I also had the same issue on my second computer and it also has Webroot installed.

I found these links online:

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/608311-webroot-bugs-issues-please-read-if-considering-webroot

https://community.webroot.com/t5/Webroot-for-Business/Numerous-Problems-with-SecureAnywhere-and-Mobile/td-p/7476

I don't want to hassle with trying to adjust this software as I just don't have that kind of time.  So, I want another AV program that won't give me problems like Webroot does. 

Thanks Quietman7:

I don't need no-hands-on from my AV software, just one that won't interact as Webroot is doing.  I used to use AVG and except for the fact I had my email and Flickr accounts compromised about six times in a few months, I was satisfied with it.  Cough cough.  I don't have those problems with Webroot, just other ones. 

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 11 August 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:33 PM

"...I don't want to hassle with trying to adjust this software as I just don't have that kind of time.  So, I want another AV program that won't give me problems like Webroot does..."

I posted the configuration of the security programs, I mentioned nothing about adjusting any non-security software.  The closest to "set it, forget it:'  Windows Firewall, Windows Defender [WD] or Microsoft Security Essentials [MSE].  Scuttlebutt has it that MSE does a little more than WD security-wise.  I use EAM because it is more robust and protective than WD or MSE.  

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 09:34 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:14 AM

I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want to pay, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender.

A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

#12 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:57 AM

"...A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Everyone's system is different and sometimes you may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs..."

And, sometimes, it is not "forefront remembered" that we end-users are the most important, most "response able," most accountable, component of any security routine.  And, yes, Quietman7, you are so correct!  What works for me, for others -- vary from computer to computer, end-user to end-user.

Edited by RolandJS, 12 August 2016 - 06:59 AM.

#13 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Thanks. I've been wanting to try Bit Defender.  I have a question about installing it.  Can I download the program before uninstalling Webroot, then uninstall Webroot and then install BitDefender, or should I uninstall Webroot before downloading BD?  Thanks.

I know this is a separate issue, but...is there an easy testing method to make certain my CPU is running properly?  Not long ago I downloaded a program called IOBit SystemCare and found it very intrusive with constant nagware to go premium.  I had problems uninstalling it and opted to reinstall Windows instead.  I don't want that kind of experience again.  I just want to make sure my PC is running smoothly.  I know I can sample programs but when I do, I have a knack for getting more than I bargained for and prefer recommendations by real people over experimentation.  I have Windows 7/

Edited by LittleGreenDots, 12 August 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#14 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 09:07 AM

Download the offline installer for BitDefender.  Then either way, install BD then uninstall Webroot; or uninstall Webroot then install BD; sometimes the incoming AV program will offer the menu for uninstalling the outgoing AV program.

#15 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:04 PM

Zero issues with 360TS the two years I used it, including several months with Win10. (It will occasionally flag downloads of assorted utilities, but, I'd rather be offered the choice of "Block/Allow" than have the software just let it thru like an open door)

So, far, SecureAPlus (1 year free trial) seems promising, despite it's name sounding a tad more like recycled rogue-ware than a legit product....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users