Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HitmanPro, HitmanPro Alert replacements/alternatives

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:53 AM

HitmanPro, HitmanPro Alert replacements/alternatives

If I can find decent free replacements, alternatives, I will not be renewing my 3pc/3yr license [expires 10/2017] for HitmanPro, HitmanPro Alert.  Has anyone replaced both HitmanPro products with free and decent alternatives, replacement?  Wifey and I are entering a few lean years, so we are not renewing many of our software licenses, instead we will be going free as much as often as possible.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

Well on top of my head, Malwarebytes products: Anti-Malware (Free), Anti-Exploit (Free), Anti-Ransomware (Free/Beta).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Well on top of my head, Malwarebytes products: Anti-Malware (Free), Anti-Exploit (Free), Anti-Ransomware (Free/Beta).

Of course, MBAM Free does not provide real-time protection to help prevent infection.  It is only an on-demand, second-opinion scanner.  Real-time protection requires a paid license for Premium version. There is a discount for multiple licenses purchased at the same transaction at the Malwarebytes online store.  And there are occasional promo bundles for MBAM Premium + MBAE Premium. And there is a 2-year subscription option for both products, to protect against possible future price hikes.

{{If you live in TX near a Microcenter store, I recently saw on the shelf there a BOXED CD combo of MBAM Premium + MBAE Premium for up to 3 PCs for one year at $35. That's a heckuva deal.  It was a few weeks ago, and was NOT available online.  So, you might have to go to the brick/mortar to see if it's still available.)}}

Note about MBARW-BETA.  It is free, but it is still a beta product. The dev team does NOT recommend installing it in a production environment.

MBAM Premium, HitmanPro.ALERT and Emsisoft Anti-Malware are all paid products.
I do not personally know of any FREE, robust, real-time anti-malware products.

Cheers,

MM

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:13 PM

Le's add to Aura's recommendations:

MBAM free version's scans must be routinely done by the end-user -- clearly indicated in its description; only the pay-for has real time shields, also in the description.

MBAE free version automatically protects the items "written in" by Malwarebytes -- clearly indicated in its description; one can add programs in the pay-for version.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Well you mentionned that you wanted free alternatives, so that's what I gave you :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:48 PM

Well you mentionned that you wanted free alternatives, so that's what I gave you :)

That's right, however, MoxieMomma opened up the Idea of free [no real-time shields] versus pay-for [which does have real time shields] by this:

"...I do not personally know of any FREE, robust, real-time anti-malware products..." posted earlier.   :)

#7 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:00 PM

Semantics, semantics. :lol:

You are correct, MBAE Free does provide real-time protection for browsers and plug-ins.

I stand corrected on that.

However, it is NOT an anti-malware application.  Simply put, MBAE (Free or Premium) protects against the "how" of malware, while MBAM and your AV protect against the "what" of malware.

It is an anti-exploit application. But, yes, the Free version is Free and it does shield some browsers.

MBAE (Free or Premium) does not replace either your anti-virus application or your anti-malware application.

So, as I said before, MBAM Premium, EAM and HitmanPro.Alert -- all of which are anti-malware applications -- are all paid products.

And, AFAIK, there are no good, real-time, EDIT: FREE anti-malware applications.

MBAE Free is a free anti-exploit product (and the Premium version may be configured to protect ANY internet-facing application, not just the default browsers and plug-ins).

OK, this makes my head hurt.

I'm out.

Cheers,

MM

Edited by MoxieMomma, 11 August 2016 - 04:05 PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:02 PM

I still have the old free version of HitmanPro Alert installed. While it is outdated, it still provides some protection while I wait for Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware to move out of beta. When I get a chance I will see if I can find a download link.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:24 PM

I'll either renew HitmanPro or go with MBAM/MBAE combine.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 04:28 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:34 PM

I thought you also used WinAntiRansom PLUS.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:37 PM

I thought you also used WinAntiRansom PLUS.

You're right, I do use the Ruiware/BillP combine; however, because they are not AV, not AM -- I did not think to mention them here.

WinPatrol montiors the programs and utilities existing within the computer, WinPrivacy helps with privacy [if set by end-user - it can bar x, y or z from interfacing with The 'Net], WinAntiRansom shields my special folder against any program or utility that was not placed on the green list, Task Catcher works with WinPatrol, it can delay or stop or start whatever program or utility is set respectively within its menu.

Edited by RolandJS, 11 August 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#12 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:19 PM

Zemana Antimalware free seems to be a Hitman clone, but, is a 2nd opinion scanner, offering no active-AV....

360TS seemed very nice the two years I used it....; will in all likelyhood go back to it after 'curiosity- tinkering' with SecureAPlus, which has a free 1 year trial...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#13 n01paranoid

n01paranoid

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:54 PM

Zemana are discontinuing their premium versions of AntiMalware and AntiLogger and have combined them into one 'super' product, Zemana AntiLogger 2.21

https://www.zemana.com/WhatsNew?ProductID=1

I don't know if the offer is still open, but Zemana have been giving away lifetime licences the last 2 weeks or so - just sign up to Zemana Google Groups - i got mine about 10 days ago.

#14 1m3kexcel

1m3kexcel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:31 AM

I don't think there are any alternatives, in my opinion. HitmanPro.Alert is outstanding protection and also the "lightest" on my systems. My nice, powerful Vaio laptop was stolen and my backup is a dinky HP "laptop" (really a notebook). HMPA has worked great. 

Edit: Here's some developer notes from Wilder's: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/in-the-wild-ransomware-protection-comparative-analysis-2016-q3.387310/#post-2604011

Edited by 1m3kexcel, 15 August 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:56 PM

Keep in mind that some security researchers have advised not to to use multiple anti-exploit applications because using more than one of them at the same time can Return-oriented programming (ROP), and other exploit checks. This in turn can result in the system becoming even more vulnerable than if only one anti-exploit application is running. In some cases multiple tools can cause interference with each other and program crashes

While you should use an antivirus (even just the Windows Defender tool built into Windows 10, 8.1, and 8) as well as an anti-exploit program, you shouldn’t use multiple anti-exploit programs...These types of tools could potentially interfere with each other in ways that cause applications to crash or just be unprotected, too

How-To Geek on Anti-exploit programs

ROP is a computer security exploit technique that allows an attacker to execute code in the presence of security defenses such as non-executable memory and code signing. It is an effective code reuse attack since it is among the most popular exploitation techniques used by attackers and there are few practical defenses that are able to stop such attacks without access to source code.

Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR) is a computer security technique involved in protection from buffer overflow attacks. These security technologies are intended to mitigate (reduce) the effectiveness of exploit attempts. Many advanced exploits relay on ROP and ASLR as attack vectors used to defeat security defenses and execute malicious code on the system. For example, they can be used to bypass DEP (data execution prevention) which is used to stop buffer overflows and memory corruption exploits. Tools with ROP and ASLR protection such as Microsoft’s Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit (EMET) use technology that checks each critical function call to determine if it's legitimate (if those features are enabled).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users