Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a command-line CD/DVD burner for Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

I'm troubleshooting an OS failure to boot (Wndows 10 Home).  I can get to a command-line and move files around.  I'd like to burn some files to CD/DVD.  I tried to set up Burndisk and ImgBurn but both fail with the message (either setting up or running in the case of BurnDisk) with the message: "The subsystem needed to support the image type is not present."...

Either this is a 32-bit download, move to 64-bit machine or possibly they need resources.  Just want suggestions what to do - make isos?  another tool?  I'm flexible but I'd love a command line burner that works self-contained (I guess is the word).

Also, will I be able to use a USB drive even though I cannot boot to the GUI desktop?

My CD/DVD works fine.  Just no OS right now.  Mostly a boot issue. 

By the way, I get the same error with files that I've built as binaries, like programming projects that have a .exe file as output.  I guess either I'm in some weird 32 bit world or I'm 64 bits, but applications simply cannot run from the command line without a full OS.  I really don't know.

Edited by PetarSickey, 11 August 2016 - 08:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:27 AM

I think your easiest solution would be to boot a live linux disk and use that to burn your disk or copy to a USB flash drive. The USB flash drive would be the optimal recovery device but the distro I was thinking about also has burner software available. Are you interested in doing this in linux. It is not that difficult but you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. 

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

I think your easiest solution would be to boot a live linux disk and use that to burn your disk or copy to a USB flash drive. The USB flash drive would be the optimal recovery device but the distro I was thinking about also has burner software available. Are you interested in doing this in linux. It is not that difficult but you may need to disable SecureBoot in UEFI. 

My latest Knoppix is like 6. something.  I'd be best to download the latest/greatest since it's Windows 10 Home machine.  I am buying a new PC today so I can take this PC out of the mainstream in my life and just gradually deal with it.  Can you elaborate on this "distro"?  I might want to both boot to a Linux CD and work from that, and also have a flash USB drive.  I'll just go out and buy one, any recommendations?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 09:58 AM

For data recovery on a UEFI computer I recommend Fatdog64. You can burn the iso on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image which you most likely known already. For creating a bootable USB flash drive with Fatdog I would use Rufus. Copying files in FatDog is a little different in Fatdog. The following is my canned response for using Fatdog and Rufus.  Fatdog64-702.iso

Rufus Instructions:

Run Rufus with the USB flash drive attached. Select MBR partition scheme for BIOS and UEFI. Leave all boxes as checked. Where FreeDos is shown in the dropdown box select iso image, click the icon, and browse to the Fatdog iso file. Press Start. Any data on the flash drive will need to be backed up as the drive will be formatted.

Fatdog copy instructions;

Boot Fatdog to the desktop. In the lower left of the desktop you will see your partitions listed as sda1...sda2...sda3...etc. On an upgraded computer from 7 or 8 you will see quite a few. Normally your Windows partition will be on sda3 but it may be different in your case. Click once on the partition icon. The partition should mount and a File Manager Window will open. If you do not see your files/folders then close the Window and click on another sdaX icon. Once you find your correct partition attach your external USB flash drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager Window will open. You can resize and move the two windows until they are side by side by left clicking and dragging the corner and title bar similar to Windows. Once you have both windows side by side highlight the data you want to copy by pressing Ctrl and left clicking or left clicking and dragging a window around your files/folders. You only need to click once to open a folder in Fatdog. Once you have your files/folders highlighted drag them from the sdaX window to the USB flash drive window. A small dialog window will open. Select Copy and check the quiet box. Don't forget your browser bookmarks or email if using a client. Once all your files are copied exit out of Fatdog. You may want to open a few to see if the copy was successful

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

Quick question - can I burn that Knoppix on my 32 bit OS laptop?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:19 AM

If you mean Fatdog or Knoppix you can burn both isos on a 32bit Windows 7 computer or if you have an older computer use Imgburn. I recommend a write speed of no faster than 4x when burning an OS iso. 

Writing an image to disk

#7 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:51 AM

Is Windows Vista Ultimate ok as a sub for Windows 7?  I'm freeing up space now, and should be ready to Knop soon.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:57 AM

On Vista you would need software that can burn an image to disk. I think you may be better off using Fatdog vs Knoppix for copying files. I don't have much experience with the Knoppix distro.

#9 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:00 PM

On Vista you would need software that can burn an image to disk. I think you may be better off using Fatdog vs Knoppix for copying files. I don't have much experience with the Knoppix distro.

I just mean I'm downloading Knoppix to my Vista machine.  Then I'll burn a DVD, which is easy.  I'm just making sure since it's 32-bit, that it will work on my Windows 10 machine, which is 64 bit.  Does this make sense?  I dont' know.

#10 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

Knoppix is easy to use to access files on a Windows machine.  It's great for virus recovery types of operations where you just need to move files around, rename, delete, replace, whatever.  I want to be able to burn my files to a DVD as a backup.  Otherwise, I"ll have to use the USB approach.

So I need fatdog

Edited by PetarSickey, 11 August 2016 - 02:02 PM.

#11 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

I will be all day downloading, so time to go out and buy a new machine or order from ebay.  And pick up a USB drive.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:46 PM

A 32 bit OS will work on your Windows 10 computer. You should also be able to run 64bit on the Windows 10 computer and you can burn a 64bit OS to disk on a 32bit computer. You can burn FatDog to disk also. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 August 2016 - 03:47 PM.

#13 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:34 AM

I burnt the Knoppix distro to a DVD, then tried to boot to it, but it fails.  Don't know why yet.

Could it be that the Knoppix .iso is not bootable, and I need to add that capability?

Edited by PetarSickey, 12 August 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

A UEFI system can't boot from a DVD. You'll need to enter the UEFI setup at boot and enable legacy mode so its operation will revert to the equivalent of a standard BIOS and be able to boot from optical media.

Edited by Platypus, 12 August 2016 - 08:40 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:45 AM

Ok, I'll read up on what UEFI means, then I'll enter my BIOS and set it to legacy.

Quick question: Why can I boot to my Windows Installation DVD then, based on what you just said?  Just curious.  Is it that it CAN boot to a DVD as long as it's windows?

Edited by PetarSickey, 12 August 2016 - 08:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users