Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is XP x64 worth it for older games?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:19 AM

I will probably buy it anyway as I really want to check it out...

I have Win7, and play a lot of XP era games. I've been encountering difficulties, and thought it might be easier to use XP x64. I found it for $26 AUD brand new on ebay. I'm happy to try it out if it means better stability in games.

I already have a Win7/10 dual boot anyway, so I'm happy to add another. I basically just wanted to ask if this is likely to help with my problems (listed below) and if buying x64 (rather than installing the x86 version I already own) is worth it.

Issues:

Fallout 3 crash on start (fixed via workaround)

Fallout 3 random freezes

Quake colours glitching out

Star Wars Battlefront II crash on start

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2 some issue I don't remember

Doom95 mouse hack not working

Specs:

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard (XP64 drivers are available as far as I know, the SATA drivers definately are)

AMD FX-8350 4 GHz

16 GB RAM OC 2133 MHz

GeForce GTX 950 (XP64 drivers are available)

Thanks.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:49 AM

64 bit XP was widely regarded as being less satisfactory for games, as it isn't directly Windows XP, it's built on the Server 2003 kernel with equivalent XP client features provided. It didn't become widely supported by device manufacturers before the better regarded Vista 64 took over, although drivers may not be a problem in your circumstances. Also older games may have a 16 bit installer, which will not run on the 64 bit OS to allow you to install and set up the game. But it sounds like it isn't going to cost much to try.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:36 AM

64 bit XP was widely regarded as being less satisfactory for games, as it isn't directly Windows XP, it's built on the Server 2003 kernel with equivalent XP client features provided. It didn't become widely supported by device manufacturers before the better regarded Vista 64 took over, although drivers may not be a problem in your circumstances. Also older games may have a 16 bit installer, which will not run on the 64 bit OS to allow you to install and set up the game. But it sounds like it isn't going to cost much to try.

That 16 bit installer thing affects all x64 Windows versions though doesn't it?

Also, I thought Server was fine for games providing you are able to install drivers and DirectX?

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:11 AM

Except for the older dos games Win 7 and 10 should play them fine. The most important part is having .net framework 3.0 that includes 2.0. You can install .net 3.0 with the newer 4.6 I think it is now. Older quake games and dos games it's best to load those through Dosbox emulator. A lot of times right-clicking and running compatibility mode doesn't work, but a VM with XP in it will work. I ran into problems getting software & drivers to work for old printers and scanners and running VM with XP works good. The drivers and things install like it would on a bare metal machine.

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 06:18 AM

Except for the older dos games Win 7 and 10 should play them fine. The most important part is having .net framework 3.0 that includes 2.0. You can install .net 3.0 with the newer 4.6 I think it is now. Older quake games and dos games it's best to load those through Dosbox emulator. A lot of times right-clicking and running compatibility mode doesn't work, but a VM with XP in it will work. I ran into problems getting software & drivers to work for old printers and scanners and running VM with XP works good. The drivers and things install like it would on a bare metal machine.

I'm happy to install it physically. A VM wouldn't be suitable for most of the games I play as VMs don't utilise graphics cards.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:30 AM

I'm happy to install it physically. A VM wouldn't be suitable for most of the games I play as VMs don't utilise graphics cards.

It's possible to do a VM gpu passthrough, but it's a complex setup and the hardware has to support it. I agree forget I mentioned it lol.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:48 AM

Not sure if this would work, but maybe create a virtual hard disk (vhd) with OS with the game installed in it and then boot to it. Again, that's a lot of hassles to go through to play a game.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:00 AM

That 16 bit installer thing affects all x64 Windows versions though doesn't it?

Yes, I was thinking in terms of where you had said "buying x64 (rather than installing the x86 version I already own)", XP64 doesn't accommodate any larger range of older games than you can already use. That probably doesn't matter, it was just one of the limitations XP64 had with games of its era.

Also, I thought Server was fine for games providing you are able to install drivers and DirectX?

It has the potential to be with suitable games, but if the games have troubles under Windows 7 that would possibly be resolved by using the XP for which they were developed, XP64 may not provide that benefit because it's not XP, but more like Win7. XP64 naturally has the least polished WOW64, one of the things people commented on most at the time was the improvement between XP64 and Vista64 running 32 bit software.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,711 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:05 AM

Another thing to take into consideration is that when you boot Windows XPx86, many older games will run on it. I actually can get Mechwarrior3 (DOS) to run on my  XPx86 drive. But....that is because #3 was the latest and last of the DOS Mechwarrior games and can handle newer peripherals better. Many failures happen because of the new upgraded technology in the box, such as hi-performance video cards, new tech sound systems, faster bus connections, etc. etc. Older technology doesn't recognize it. When I attempt to load Mechwarrior 2 games, they will not run or even install.

Edited by ranchhand_, 11 August 2016 - 08:07 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:12 PM

You can run Mechwarrior 2 in dosbox, but you have to convert the cd to a image file first and then mount the image file. That is the method for most of those types of games. Here is the Dosbox Mechwarrior 2 wiki on how to do it. Here

#11 Karzahni

Karzahni
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:34 PM

I guess I'll install XP x86 and see how it goes.

It has the potential to be with suitable games, but if the games have troubles under Windows 7 that would possibly be resolved by using the XP for which they were developed, XP64 may not provide that benefit because it's not XP, but more like Win7. XP64 naturally has the least polished WOW64, one of the things people commented on most at the time was the improvement between XP64 and Vista64 running 32 bit software.

I see what you mean there. The games are developed for XP x86, and using XP64 is basically a different OS (I mean XP is 5.1 and XP64 is 5.2, so one would expect a fair difference.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users