Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Replacing A Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eminentgonz

eminentgonz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:18 PM

My hard drive recently died on me, so I replaced it with a different one. The issue, though, is that the new drive (I only use one at a time) automatically defaults to slave drive whether I set the cable to slave or master (which is what it says in the BIOS). I'm now unable to do a fresh install of Windows XP, I can only assume, since there is no master drive on the machine. I'm more of a software guy, but I know some hardware and I seem to remember this being a common problem. How do I attempt to fix this?

I use a stadard IBM-based PC.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:23 PM

It may be a setting in your BIOS. Is the new hard drive SATA or IDE, and what type was your old HDD?

I had similar problems getting my SATA drive to work - you need to ensure that the SATA drive is connected to the correct port (port 1) for it to be set as master.
If it is IDE, make sure the jumper at the back is set to master (there should be a diagram on the HDD to show you how it needs ot be arranged) and that the IDE ribbon is connected to the correct IDE port on the MoBo...

Let me know either way... :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 eminentgonz

eminentgonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 05:55 PM

I THINK both were IDE. The old one was a Seagate U Series 9, and the new one is a Quantam Fireball.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2006 - 06:01 PM

Well, like JPHarvey was saying, make sure the one you want to boot from has it's jumper set to Master, and the other one is set to Slave. Then plug the master into the end connector and the slave into the middle connector on the data cable.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 eminentgonz

eminentgonz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2006 - 10:22 AM

Yup, it was the jumper. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users