Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How many times I can reactivate Windows 10 after an hardware upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sharly55

sharly55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:08 PM

According to this Microsoft's support website:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

It says that one reason of you can't reactivate Windows 10 after an hardware upgrade is due to...

"You reached the limit on the number of times you can reactivate Windows on your device." 

So anyone knows, how many times I can reactivate Windows 10?

it's important for me because I like buy the components that I need instead of buy a whole new computer

Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Viper_Security

Viper_Security

• Members
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

I don't understand why you would need to reactivate windows after a hardware upgrade, unless the hardware is the HDD/SSD.

just update your drivers if it's not the hard drive.

I believed you can activate as many time as you need, but after i believe 3-4 times you'll need to do the phone activation.

1 Key = 1 Computer.

IT Auditor & Security Professional

hQBT2G3.png

#3 sharly55

sharly55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

I don't understand why you would need to reactivate windows after a hardware upgrade, unless the hardware is the HDD/SSD.

just update your drivers if it's not the hard drive.

I believed you can activate as many time as you need, but after i believe 3-4 times you'll need to do the phone activation.

1 Key = 1 Computer.

Thanks for answering

It seems that now Windows 10 has something called "digital license" and it's kind of hardware-based license, if you change your hardware just it deactivates.

The hardware that I want to upgrade is the motherboard, CPU, and RAM and precisely that provoke the deactivation

And in the Microsoft's support website in a line talks about a limit in the number of reactivation I can do.

Due to that, I like to know how many times I can reactivate Windows 10 

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2977210/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-deactivated-replacing-hardware.html

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-hardware-change

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/fixing-windows-10-activation-problems-after-a-hardware-upgrade/

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:21 PM

Things changed. See, when you upgrade to Windows 10, you get a digital license that was specific to the hardware so if you change your hardware it will deactivate. To address this, Microsoft decided to tie the license to the Microsoft account if you log in using a Microsoft account. This allows you to upgrade/change the hardware and Windows will still remain activated. To prevent people from transferring to a different PC, they put a limit on the number of times you can do it. I suggest that you contact them. You should be able to do a phone activation.

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users