Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SvcHost causing 100% processor usage all the time

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 tyl604

tyl604

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

I have an emachines laptop NV53 w 4 gigs of Ram running Windows 7 Home Professional.  It does not have a malware problem and moderator Bloopie asked me to post a new thread here about the processor.  Laptop has been running really hot and he thinks it may be that SvcHost and its child programs(?) are the problem.  My question to Bloopie below resulted in this new thread:

I have been watching it for about an hour now, logged into BleepingComputer and it  is running 100% CPU usage. But most of this - 92%-97% -  is SvcHost.exe.  So I assume this is OK and is not slowing down the laptop?   I have read about SvcHost and assume that I need to leave it running???  Assume that it runs normally with SvcHost taking so much of the CPU??

He says sometime Win7 updates (and other things) cause this and it will stress my processor which was running at 80C.

The Task Manager screen shows that my memory (4 gigs) is not being used up but that 100% of my processor is in use all the time.  Hence the slowing down.  If I close the internet, it runs better but with Chrome, all the processor is taken up.  A lot of times it seems to be SvcHost or multiple Chrome.exe files running.

Emachines laptop E627

4G Ram

160 G Hard drive with 53 G free

AMD Athlon 64 TF20 cpu

Running Windows 7

Need help please.  

Edited by tyl604, 10 August 2016 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:40 PM

Please download and run Process Explorer as outlined in this guide to determine which services are using all of your cpu.

Which are the culprits? Take a pic with snipping tool list and post it if possible please.

#3 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:37 PM

Have not used snip tool before so I captured them in six files.  Must be an easier way.  Here they are:

Attached Files

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

Ummm, that doesn't show the cpu usage like the Sysinternals Process Explorer in the guide I linked, nor did you follow the steps through to see what services were running under svchost.

Here is the download link for the new version. Though the screen may appear slightly different with new features the functionality is the same.

Please follow the guide.

#5 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

Followed the steps. Those were under Services under Svc Host as per directions for Win 7. It was also from the your Process Explorer link. No idea what happened. Will have to look at it again. May need to print it out and then try again.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

There's some confusion somehow. Normally each svchost entry will have a bunch of services running under it, and not display all of the services running or not on the machine.

I'm unsure how else to guide you at this stage.

#7 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:07 AM

TsVk! - you are correct; I misinterpreted the directions. I have now very carefully followed the instructions and believe I have captured what you want to see. There are twelve files which are attached.

Thank you very much for your help.

Attached Files

#8 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

- It sounds like the nagging "Windows Update" problem.

- Open Task Manager ( TM ) (Process tab), maximize the GUI and let it show ALL processes, including those who run under the System Account. Make sure TM shows the amount of CPU next to the names of the process "Svchost.exe". (you must fiddle a bit to get this done) and then make a screenshot. One suffices if done properly.

- If it's REALLY this "Windows Update" problem the follow the instructions in reply #9 of this thread:

https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/20476-guide-windows-7-very-slow-scan-times-when-checking-updates.html

#9 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:04 AM

This is very strange. Word is now gone. Clipboard will not let me copy the screen shot which I supposedly captured with the PrtSc/SysRq button just above my numbers keyboard. But I used snipping tool. Very strange.

Attached Files

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:09 AM

- Follow the instructions in the link I posted above.

#11 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:07 PM

Reply #9 looks quite difficult. It also seems to say that there are errors in the repair. So should I attempt to download and run this package?

It also seems to say that I need to be using IE instead of Chrome?

Edited by tyl604, 11 August 2016 - 12:11 PM.

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:27 PM

- Regarding "Step 1" in that reply (#9): What was the outcome for your system ?

#13 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Not sure what you mean.  I am using my desktop for this reply and my laptop is downloading the Win7 all-in-one-update Word doc from reply #9.  I have not seen any steps.  I clicked on the link E... in the Word doc and it had me download a windows update for Win 7 x64.  The laptop is now downloading Windows Update Standalone Installer (searching for updates on this computer) and I assume that maybe step #1 will show up after that completes.

But it has been working for several minutes now.  No idea what you mean by step #1.

Edited by tyl604, 11 August 2016 - 12:37 PM.

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

- See "Step 1" in that reply #9.

#15 tyl604

tyl604
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 373 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

Here is all that Reply 9 says:  Source for the info on the "Convenience Roll Up" Update:

An All-in-One Update for Windows 7 SP1: How-to (REREAD)

Is step #1 inside the all-in-one update?

Or do you mean reply#1 where it is looking for prerequisite for my laptop?  Maybe that is what you mean?

Edited by tyl604, 11 August 2016 - 12:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users