Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie help creating a back-up in LM 18 (64)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

Hi everyone!

I just installed Sarah (LM 18) Cinnamon DT (64 bit) and I'm new to Linux, but have used MS-DOS & MS Win for over 25 years...

I'm having an issue with Sarah's built-in "Backup Tool"...  

I started the BU Tool from selecting it from the DT's menu.  I wanted to do a complete system BU that I could rely on if I ever needed it.  I also knew that this was the first time ever that I used this tool.

Not being sure on how to proceed, I successfully (so, it seems) used this app to BU "Root" to my external HDD (I know this drive has plenty of free space)

The tool seemed to BU /root successfully.  Only thing is, it performed this BU very fast (under 1 min.)  Because it did this so fast, I had a hard time believing that it was fully successful. So, using the file manager, I checked the file that the tool created.  It was only about 350kb. 

I thought this could explain the swiftness of the operation.  So I felt somewhat relieved & trusted the process more...  I accepted it as probably OK.

Knowing that this sole file couldn't possibly be a complete BU as I wanted, I went on to the next menu item after "root" which was "File System".  All this was around 08:30am & it's now after 2:00pm & it's still going!  Is this normal?  There's a progress monitor on the screen which is still empty!

At the top of the window it says:
"Backup files"  underneath that, it says
"Please wait while your files are being backed up"  Then near the bottom of the window is a number that reads:
"10 / 302535" then under that, it says:
"Backing up:   proc/kcore" under that is the empty progress rectangle.
In the bottom right corner is a <close> button.  I clicked this button about 30 min. earlier.  Even though the button changed colors (indicating acknowlegement) nothing happened...

Can someone tell me what all this means?  Do I need to do a harware Reset?

PS
I got back to the PC around 05:00pm.  The screen saver had activated.  After typing in my PWD, the BU Tool was gone.  I was at Cinnamon's normal DT.  I assume this is a result of me clicking the <close> button <?>

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

It's not necessary to back up your whole operating system with Linux, just your home folder. Everything can easily be saved/rebuilt from that.

proc/kcore is a virtual RAM file, there's no wondering why that couldn't back up.

To protect against system errors and other things you may do wrong in your learning stage now it might be a good idea to look at Timeshift.

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

Hi Pie

My Northern friend, TsVk!, is quite right, as I might expect, on both counts.

Clem (Lefebvre, Project Manager and founder of Linux Mint)'s backup tool is still sadly clunky. Although it is based on the Gnome Backup Tool, also the default with Ubuntu, so perhaps not all Clem's fault.

I went to my Sarah Cinnamon to duplicate your circumstances, and here is what happened

1. It took about 15 minutes just calculating the backup, so I went for coffee.
  2. After 35 minutes, it was stuck on file 606 "run/systemd/inhibit/4.ref" but wait for it, it was going to back up
  3. 7,653,424 files! I had simply got it to back up File System, but forgot to exclude my media directory, which houses all my other Linux Distros, so I
  4. Broke out of it as described elsewhere, restarted, still 15 mins calculating, then got stuck at file 606 same file again, but from a more realistic
  5. 347,722 files identified

Waste of time, but interesting for me to learn.

If Home is where you save your personal data, that is the major focus.

Timeshift - very good, I have used it for two years since I brought news of it to this Forum. Aptik likewise.

See my Tutorial here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612761/aptik-move-your-linux-to-a-different-drive-or-computer/  on Aptik, in which I detail how to install both Timeshift and Aptik from the same source (Tony George), but the Tute only deals with Aptik, gotta do one for Timeshift yet.

With Timeshift, you can have a snapshot of your whole system captured with 5 to 10 minutes, and it can be used ala Windows Restore to rollback. First snap should take about the size of your install eg 6 to 8 GB, there is no compression.

Sing out with any questions after you take a look at the options.

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:24 AM

I've been using Timeshift and Aptik to back up my Linux systems for some time now and I recommend  both .

My favorite dumb move is to forget that I have a bunch of Linux ISOs in a folder ( about 15 GB )

and it's only when the backup is super slow that I remember ...... they don't need to be included , they are just copies !!

Doh !

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 02:02 AM

Hi synaptic, hope you are enjoying your time with us, since joining.

Don't feel bad, my catalogue of .iso's is 200 GB. Quite a while ago (about 30 Linuxes) I moved it to an external HDD (3 TiB), and made sure it was not captured in the net of Timeshift, after my one and only booboo.

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

(9 hrs difference, sounds like the Old Dart - Britain, lol)

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:16 AM

Another good form of backup of the /home partition files, is using an external drive, create a main folder, name it 'Linux Mint 18 Backup' or whatever you desire (a HDD formatted in NTFS is OK). Attach the backup drive & create the folder, then drag & drop (copy) all of the Main folders in the Home one to the one in the external. This is what I do before a clean install & to preserve all of my Data on a separate drive for when needed. 

If you have a Windows computer to create a WinPE backup/restore/clone CD or bootable ISO on, then EaseUS Todo has a 100% Free backup solution to image the /home partition, or all three if on the same drive. So does Macrium Reflect, though EaseUS Todo specifically states it supports Linux file systems. While I've not imaged with EaseUS Todo, have successfully cloned a single SSD with all three partitions (root, /home & Swap) of Linux Mint 17.3 with Macrium Reflect, twice. Have also imaged the Linux Mint root folder with Macrium, because at one time, resided beside of Windows 7 Ultimate, the backup was successful & I checked (verified) the image with it's tool. Have also imaged my /home partition on a HDD with the same software. 

So in addition to the usual Linux backup tools (mainly Timeshift & Aptik), have done the same with tools designed for Windows OS's. So if you're already used to a certain solution that can create a bootable WinPE CD or bootable USB stick, you may already be in business. 

As TsVk! pointed out, it's the Data that matters the most. The OS can be reinstalled w/out the need to reformat your /home partition (unless a drive failure), and this is one reason you need backup copies of these folders, preferably two different ways of backup. The drag & drop that I mentioned takes the least amount of space, and as far as the browser goes, sign into it & stay so, so that your bookmarks & extensions are carried over when a new install is required, simply by signing in again. :)

It's really easy & not that much different from Windows, assuming you were performing regular backups, and another reason to keep a working Windows install on hand. Because these tools (EaseUS Todo or Macrium Reflect) has to be installed on a Windows OS, and then create the WinPE media. Today we're lucky, it used to be that free solutions only offered a Linux based Rescue CD image, good only for restoring a taken backup. 

The sooner you put a plan of action together, the sooner you'll benefit if needed. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:30 PM

PieLam, this should make it easy on you to learn Timeshift.  Here is the official site, and I'll leave a video below so that you can learn how to install and use it.  You will have to format the space you are storing the Timeshift image to ext4.  I'm not sure how this will be done if you are putting this to your HDD.  I guess you could make a ext4 Partition on it but I have never done that.  I always have saved it to the "home" Partition, or a USB Formatted to ext4, for my SSD install on laptop.

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

Youtube video, Timeshift

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQKQiP7JU-8

Edited by pcpunk, 11 August 2016 - 09:50 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 01:09 AM

That is a good idea , using a WinPE disk to backup a Linux system.

One of my main concerns is that my backups contain all of the apps and programs that I have installed ,

along with the relevant settings and configs .

I wouldn't want to lose these as it represents a large amount of time and effort that I would have to repeat .

Edited by synaptic, 12 August 2016 - 01:10 AM.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2016 - 05:48 PM

I wouldn't want to lose these as it represents a large amount of time and effort that I would have to repeat .

That is a very valid concern. If you are starved for storage, or do not have an external HDD, then it is important with Timeshift to set the preferences to delete old snapshots after a designated timeframe.

Your circumstances may differ markedly from those of the OP here, PieLam, so it may be that if you are interested, you might choose to start your own Topic seeking tailored advice. If you take that option, come packing some stats/specs, eg the output of

inxi -Fxs

... would be a start.

Cheers

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 04:30 AM

That is a good idea , using a WinPE disk to backup a Linux system.

One of my main concerns is that my backups contain all of the apps and programs that I have installed ,

along with the relevant settings and configs .

That's correct, a WinPE based backup will preserve everything on the drive(s) or partition(s), including custom settings made. I've successfully cloned with WinPE media a Linux MInt 17.3 install from one SSD to another, there was a little adjustment at boot & all was fine afterwards. Much better than trying to figure out which version of Clonezilla to do the same, there's many versions. To this day, have yet to figure out which version will do this, and as for backups, it's purely a sector to sector backup, whereas with WinPE, only the used sectors will be imaged by sector, along with the empty blocks on the partition(s) compacted to save space. 

I'll soon test whether or not the restored backup of WinPE works just as well as the clone, because I have a system that'll need it. The /home partition is in place on a HDD, root has been removed from a SSD, and will need to be restored to a smaller SSD. Because of the unique setup, will have to restore to a HDD, tested to ensure it works, then cloned to the SSD. A straight out backup restore will wipe out the OS that'll already be on the SSD. While I can simply clean install, this method will preserve custom settings created long ago, and don't wish to spend too much time on that computer. 

Have used Timeshift in the past, the catch is that a partition needs to be made for each OS that needs the Timeshift, have never tried restore. though some members has stated that the Timeshift backup is bootable on it's own w/out the /home partition. Just never tried it myself, so I can only take the word of others that this is possible. 

Everyone images their OS's differently, meaning there's no longer restriction to 2-3 choices, just as with non-Linux OS's. :)

BTW, Windows users also uses Linux tools, especially for partitioning, because of the lack on non-free WinPE choices. Probably the most popular is MiniTool Partition Wizard bootable CD or USB stick created from the ISO. It's important to choose the correct bit version as the installed OS, or if there's none installed, then the version that matches the hardware of the computer. It's also perhaps the best free partitioning tool on the market. Can also create Linux partitions & Swap. if desired. 

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html

EDIT To Above: After successful boot post clone, I then ran sudo update-grub to make sure all was OK & that it would fix the bootloader of the other installed OS on other SSD. Although maybe not needed, I felt it best to update Grub after the clone that pulled off w/out a hitch, other than some code at first boot that flew by so fast, I can't remember what it said, only than it otherwise booted normally. Probably self-adjusting to the new environment. Linux OS's, just as others, can be cloned from one drive to another. It's best not to mess with the original until after all is up & running. 

Speed, to my pleasant surprise on a SATA-2 port, was faster than the 128GiB Crucial m4 that LM 17.3 was on prior. Proof was ESET NOD32 for Linux scan times were cut nearly in half, from just over 10 minutes to around 5 minutes & 40 seconds & the install is overall faster with much everything. :)

About a week later, an upgrade from a i5-480M to i7-620M also assisted in overall speed & power, though still the newly installed SSD had already proved to be faster. :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 14 August 2016 - 01:58 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:07 AM

Hi synaptic, hope you are enjoying your time with us, since joining.

Don't feel bad, my catalogue of .iso's is 200 GB. Quite a while ago (about 30 Linuxes) I moved it to an external HDD (3 TiB), and made sure it was not captured in the net of Timeshift, after my one and only booboo.

Cheers

(9 hrs difference, sounds like the Old Dart - Britain, lol)

@wizardfromoz

Thanks for your reply Wizard.

It looks like you share my guilty secret ..... collecting Linux ISOs     :)

I also have a shed-load on a large external HDD .....   everything from Arch to Zorin  !!

The ones I referred to were just a bunch of current  "play-things " , to try as  VMs on my Linux rig

...   so I REALLY don't want them bloating my backups !

And I've just got a couple more today , and since  I don't want to de-rail this thread ....

I'll start a new one  ,  and hope that I pick the correct BC sub-forum  :)

BTW , VirtualBox seems to run so much faster in a Linux host , compared to Windows ,

has anyone else noticed that ?

regards

Synaptic

Edited by synaptic, 15 August 2016 - 05:14 AM.

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,866 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 06:06 AM

Please stick to the topic.

Newbie help creating a back-up in LM 18 (64)

Members should read this

Maintaining Continuity of Support Topics

Important Information For All Who Help/Post In Linux & Unix

Edited by NickAu, 15 August 2016 - 06:20 AM.
Fix link

#13 synaptic

synaptic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:51 AM

My apologies , I felt that I was contributing to the topic , and also replying to Wizard

" VMs on my Linux rig...   so I REALLY don't want them bloating my backups !  "

But I'm a Noob here so I guess I'll have to get used to BC's house style , regarding moderation      :thumbup2:

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:39 AM

My bad, likely, Nick, for answering in a chatty fashion, albeit I was corroborating synaptic's warning to the OP about what to exclude from a Timeshift exercise. Regrets.

I would be interested to hear from PieLam in how he is progressing, whether he has found his solution or needs further help deciding on how to proceed?

Cheers

:wizardball: Wiz

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,999 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 04:59 AM

My apologies , I felt that I was contributing to the topic , and also replying to Wizard

" VMs on my Linux rig...   so I REALLY don't want them bloating my backups !  "

But I'm a Noob here so I guess I'll have to get used to BC's house style , regarding moderation      :thumbup2:

Since Nick has already advised you on this, no need for me to, as far as going off-Topic. :)

However, that's exactly how Topics gets derailed. Someone will step in with a post that's not in line with the Topic, and others responds to the off-Topic part of the post. This in turn, creates a chain reaction where others spews more off-Topic responses, and by the time the smoke clears, not only is the OP more lost than ever, their Topic becomes locked down to prevent further spewing of nonsense. 

This is why today I read more & post less. There is no requirement of how many posts an Advisor, or other Staff member creates per day. What matters is the content, in particular making an effort to assist members when possible, and in some Topics, throw the red flag ourselves by a kind reminder, or in worse cases, reporting an offensive post. Anyone can report inflammatory posts & are encouraged to do so. We do not enjoy doing this. However, for a forum to be as successful as Bleeping Computer, there has to be rules, and be enforced. New & existing members of most forums that has been around for years has seen this, and as a result, appreciates the effort by Staff to keep the Forum clean as possible for everyone. We pride ourselves on being a family oriented forum of our type. :)

There are only a handful of forums with many members (10,000+) that been around 10+ years. All of these became successful in large part because of set guidelines that are enforced & spammers sent packing. :thumbsup:

It's something to think about. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users