Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASUS RT-AC68U ethernet ports VERY slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Devsfan4

Devsfan4

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

I have 180/12 internet and all of my pc's connected through ethernet get 11/12. I have 2 directly connected and 3 on a switch (all get 11/12). When a device is connected through wifi, it gets the full 180/12.

Tried rebooting the router, turning off QoS.

What could cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:51 PM

Any packet loss or latency from wired computers to router? From the router's 192.168.0.1 webpage, General> Network map will show you the IP's of your computers connected and Advanced Settings > Network tools will allow you to ping them from the router. Also, if you transfer a file from computer to computer, is that still slow?

Is the switch managed or "dumb"? Any difference in speed if you disconnect the switch and test from a computer on the Asus router?

#3 Devsfan4

Devsfan4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

No packet loss, the switch is unmanaged, and it's still slow when tthe switch is unplugged

#4 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 02:46 PM

Are you using PPPoE for your WAN connection? If so, try turning off HW Accelerator under Advanced Settings > LAN > Switch Control.

Also, are you using stock firmware and what version?

Last, is ethernet normal speed if connected direct to modem?

#5 Devsfan4

Devsfan4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

PPPoE is disabled. It is on stock v3.0.0.4.380_3831.

Just to reiterate, wifi gets the full download speed so I don't think it's the modem. I ran a cable to the router from my pc and it got 11mbps. The same computer connected through wifi gets the full 180. Same with other pc's.

#6 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:27 PM

Just to reiterate, wifi gets the full download speed so I don't think it's the modem. I ran a cable to the router from my pc and it got 11mbps. The same computer connected through wifi gets the full 180. Same with other pc's.

The reason I suggested connecting to the modem wasn't because I thought it was a modem issue, but a problem with the switch in the router or something with how the ethernet adapter (vs wireless adapters) were configured. It is strange that wired is slow when wireless is fast since WLAN throughput is usually routed through LAN. Disabling hardware acceleration might be worth trying even if your not using PPPoE. It's one of the few things that only effects WAN>LAN since it doesn't work with wireless clients.

Also, what is your local area connection speed? Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click "Local Area Connection" left click "Status" > Look beside "Speed"

If it is above 100Mbps, can you give some background on the problem? Has it occurred since getting the router? Since firmware update? Installed any wired devices recently like a printer?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users