Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

asNew external HD not Initialized?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:25 PM

Hi,

I'm not even sure what the topic title should be. But I can tell you about my problem.

I plugged in a new Bipra 250 GB NTFS external Hard Drive with the intention of using it to clone my C Drive.  A scan of the new drive reported no errors.  However, when I tried to run AOMEI Backupper it quit with this message: 

Information Code:4120 

Failed to adjust partition size.

Although I could see the drive when I clicked on Safely Remove Hardware, I could not find the drive in Explorer.

In Device Manager the disk was listed as Mass Storage Device USB Device.  I tried updating the driver, but MS says the driver is up to date.

In Disk Management, the disk showed  as Disk 1  Basic Online.   232.88 GB  - Unallocated. 

Online I found information that said to right click the drive and choose New Simple Volume.  I did that. It ran. Still the drive goes unrecognized and I am unable to clone it. 

I tried a reboot with the drive plugged in.  When Windows started, I could see the drive in Explorer but a message said:  Location not available.

Well, dirty word. -- And now that is gone too and the drive once more shows as unallocated in Disk Management.

More info online tells me to partition the drive after running New Simple Volume. But now I'm afraid to do that, and I don't know why that is necessary. 

Also in Disk Management Help the instructions are:

1. In Disk Management, right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.

2. In the Initialize Disk dialog box, select the disk(s) to initialize. You can select whether to use the master boot record (MBR) or GUID partition table (GPT) partition style.

But there is no #$@&! Initialize Disk dialog box.  And other instructions about adding a new disk take me to page about Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and SP2, and Windows Server 2003 R2. 

So, should I try partitioning the drive? I'd really appreciate some help getting my disk to work.

Thanks.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit,  Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel (F) Core™ i3-4130 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

Oh I see I screwed up the Topic Title and now I can't fix it. Wonderful.

Edited by kalmly, 10 August 2016 - 04:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

Can you post an image of Disk Management with the USB drive attached?

Edit: You can use Partition Wizard to create a partition in the unallocated space and format it NTFS.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 04:41 PM.

#3 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

Sorry, I went to get the mail and got delayed by my neighbor. Thanks so much for answering.  Uh, don't think I can post up a pic.

I did read about Partition Wizard. However, why do I need to create a partition? and how much space should be allocated to each partition?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:30 PM

If you see unallocated space on the drive then that space has not been partitioned and formatted. Ordinarily a USB external drive would already be partitioned and formatted. I'm not sure why your drive was never partitioned unless something happened to it.  For that size drive you only need to create one partition. Select the Unallocated Space in Partition Wizard and create one partition that uses all of the unallocated space. No steps are completed in Partition Wizard unless you click Apply.

#5 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

Thanks, I'll try it now.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:44 PM

Make sure you are doing this to the external and not your internal drive. The drive should show up as unallocated on Partition Wizard.

#7 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:59 PM

I tried Partition Wizard using the whole disk and it looked like it worked, but I still cannot see the drive and I get teh same old message from AOMEI.

Information Code:4120 

Failed to adjust partition size.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:03 PM

Does the drive now appear in Computer with it's own drive letter? What are you trying to accomplish with Aomei?

#9 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:09 PM

Does the drive now appear in Computer with it's own drive letter? What are you trying to accomplish with Aomei?

No. It does not appear.

I was trying to clone my C drive.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:14 PM

You are trying to clone your internal drive to an external drive? Usually a complete disk image is copied to an external to allow one to restore it to the internal, not a clone.

How much data is currently on your C: drive? You an easily take a snapshot of Disk Management using the snipping tool in Windows 7, save it as a jpg then attach it to your next post by clicking more reply options or by using a image hosting service.

It would also help showing a screenshot of Partition Wizard. I am thinking this external drive may be defective.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 06:15 PM.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

What size is the hard drive in the system? You cannot clone a drive onto a smaller drive. In any case there's little point cloning onto an external USB drive, cloning is to fit a replacement drive in the computer. As JohnC says, if you wish to have a backup in case of drive failure then you would create a compressed image file on the external drive.

You said a scan of the new drive reported no errors - what did you use to scan the drive? If it scanned OK then became unallocated space after Backupper couldn't adjust the size, that would seem logical, and we'd expect the same thing to happen the second time after you used Partition Wizard. If the drive hasn't been harmed by this happening, all that should be necessary is to right click the unallocated space in Disk Management and create an NTFS partition occupying the full amount of space (the default configuration), or use Partition Wizard again, but don't try to clone, create an image.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#12 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:42 PM

I tried sending the .jpeg pic. Hope it made it.

This gets more and more confusing. I've used AOEMEI to back up my 1TB Hard drive to an external 160GB harddrive several times. I use the clone option and it went without a glitch.

I have to be gone a while now, but I'll be back to see what you have to sat as soon as I can.  Thanks for trying to help.

Attached Files

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:57 PM

That would work if you had less than 160GB on the 1TB drive. If you have more than 160GB on the 1TB there is no way you could clone to the 160GB drive. How much free space is shown on the 1TB drive when you click Computer? You do not want to clone a drive you want to create a compressed disk image. 

It looks like your drive is still not partitioned and formatted. 

For Partition Wizard the steps would be to click on your 232GB drive[s unallocated space. Select Create Partition. Set it a NTFS format. Give it a drive letter and then click apply. See the video in my link. 

See the Video in this link.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/create-partition.html

#14 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:06 PM

Unless the external drive is defective, as JohnC has commented, you should simply be able to right click on that unallocated space, and create an NTFS partition.

It would be interesting to know what is actually on the 160GB drive you mention, it can't be a true clone. As JohnC requested, it would be good to know how much data is on the C: drive. I don't use BackUpper, but it may be content to create a smaller drive containing the same data if it will fit and call that a clone, which may fail if there is now more data than will fit onto the 250GB drive. Or it might have an intelligent fallback that normally saves an image if the clone is impossible and an image will fit on the target drive. Why it is failing in this instance remains to be seen.

Edited by Platypus, 10 August 2016 - 08:10 PM.
JohnC posted while I was typing up

Top 5 things that never get done:

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,996 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:20 PM

This is from Aomei's page. Its for a larger HDD to SDD but it's the same for a larger HDD to smaller HDD. Aomei will automatically adjust the partition size if the data on the source is smaller than the total size of the target drive.

Free disk cloning software - AOMEI Backupper Standard

There are many freeware available in the internet that can clone hard drive to another with the same or large size, but is it possible to clone from a large HDD to a smaller SSD? AOMEI Backupper Standard is a freeware developed to transfer data from HDD to SSD or another HDD. Though the SSD is much smaller than your HDD, the clone will be performed successfully as long as your SSD have enough space to hold the data on the HDD. If your SSD is not big enough for the data on your HDD, you can clone only OS to SSD by using System Clone. The size of the partitions on the destination SSD can be manually or automatically adjusted to fit the small SSD. It fully supports UEFI, so it allows you to clone MBR to GPT disk or back without disk conversion. What’s more, the cloning process will be running in the background and it won’t interrupt you using the PC.

Edit: As Platypus posted you should be able to right click the unallocated space and select Create Simple Volume. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/gg309170.aspx

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 August 2016 - 08:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users