Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

copying programs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:27 PM

looked but didn't find - has to have been asked before!

copy 'card-game' installed on PC [ from cd ] to laptop.. both win 10

Thanks... Terry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:57 PM

Basically you can't do this for almost all programs, even simple ones, because they have to be installed and the only way to do this is to run the installer.

Except for the simplest programs which consist only of one .EXE file almost all programs install with links to the registry and possibly to other files in the systemfolder. And running the installer is the only way to create the links.

As an example, when I switched from XP to Win 7 I brought the XP version of Mines with me because it is just a simple .EXE file. I couldn't do the same for Solitaire because it isn't.

Why not just install it from the CD to your laptop ?  If the laptop doesn't have an optical drive you can copy the CD onto a memory stick and install it from that.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:09 PM

Basically you can't do this for almost all programs, even simple ones, because they have to be installed and the only way to do this is to run the installer.

Except for the simplest programs which consist only of one .EXE file almost all programs install with links to the registry and possibly to other files in the systemfolder. And running the installer is the only way to create the links.

As an example, when I switched from XP to Win 7 I brought the XP version of Mines with me because it is just a simple .EXE file. I couldn't do the same for Solitaire because it isn't.

Why not just install it from the CD to your laptop ?  If the laptop doesn't have an optical drive you can copy the CD onto a memory stick and install it from that.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris.. I tried plugging in an external hard-drive first and then again  a jump-drive on my PC.. inserted the CD thinking I could install it on that - for some reason I did something wrong and it didn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks  Terry

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:56 PM

PCmover Professional transfer the selected applications to your new PC, installed and ready to use. PCmover; the fast and easy solution for migrating your files, settings, profiles, and applications PC to PC. Its  a payed software.

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 August 2016 - 08:14 PM.

Posted Image

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:43 PM

@ FreeBooter #4  Never too old to learn, I had never heard of the program.

@TerrapinGUY #3.  There is no need to quote everything I - or anybody else - has said. If you look you will see that every one of my deathless words are still there iin #2 !  By all means use quotes to pick out or highlight one particular point you want to address but it is almost never necessary to quote a complete post.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

That is very true Chris i always learn new thinks about Windows and PC hardware any person claim they know all about a technology is a lazy learner who know nothing at all just thinks he does when it comes to PC world every year or month new software or hardware technology get released there is no stop to learning about PC or any other hardware technology that is why Comptia A+  ask every three years to retake Comptia A+ exam to renew one diploma.

I must correct myself the PCmover Professional is a payed software.

Edited by FreeBooter, 10 August 2016 - 08:25 PM.

Posted Image

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:28 PM

from their site....    http://pcmoverfree.azurewebsites.net/

Personal Use edition is FREE for non-commercial use. All other usage requires a paid license. Destination PC must be running Windows 8.1 or 10. Download a copy of the user guide.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:59 PM

Thanks ALL guys... will let you know how that works out!

I AM 'older' .. and know little about this stuff - after "searching" [ for too long ] it finally occurred to me " GO TO THE SOURCE " --- have always gotten almost instantaneous answers.... at "BLEEPING"!!!

I do have a few 'one-liners' - " When you're green you grow.. when you're ripe you rot....."

#9 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:45 PM

I said I was "green".. does PC Mover work for PC to laptop - don't laugh...

#10 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:27 PM

PC Mover Pro is $45 for us in the US ... if you want to move programs.

#11 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:38 PM

My apologies for misleading earlier........I simply read the blurb on their web page and assumed they were telling the truth.

Upon downloading it .....discovered that the truth is they DO NOT transfer programs for home users for free.

Again...I apologise for misleading you.

2zi6mxk.jpg

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#12 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:15 PM

YEP .. that's what I thought too! Does "bait and switch" ring in your ears also?

Can I install that ( game ) program onto a jump or external hard-drive? Maybe a jump that can be used in USB port (?) I'm making this up as I go ya-know...

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,082 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:18 PM

Chris would know better than I......I am thinking not, for the same reasons he gave in post #2

Can this game be found elsewhere ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 TerrapinGUY

TerrapinGUY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:07 AM

Chris is that what that means.. from #12 - .. In other words - what does 'optical drive' mean?

@ Condobloke ... Can this game be found elsewhere ? Tried looking briefly.. don't want to buy again if I don't have to -- Hoyle Card Games - 2005

#15 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:19 AM

As i said PCmover Professional is a payed not free software.  PCmover Professional is the ONLY software that automatically moves or restores all selected files, settings, user profiles, and even programs from an old PC to a new one, or old operating system to a new one. And because most transferred applications are installed ready-to-use on the new PC, there’s usually no need to find old CDs, previously downloaded programs, serial numbers or license codes.*

PC refers to laptop and computer that runs Microsoft version of the Windows OS.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users