Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox 48 update on Linux Mint

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:43 PM

I've been trying to figure out what the heck happened to Firefox on my new Mint machine but didn't feel like posting anything until I dug a little further.

Here's what I found out.

Boy, that had been driving me crazy.

I'm good now. Still crazy, mind you, but good.  :P

Winterland - minty fresh, these days.

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:29 PM

G'day Winterland.....you really had me scratching my head......my pc updated to FF48 and I wasnt really aware it had happened, because now that I have been using Linux Mint for many months (including LM17.3) I have come to trust the update manager, and no longer scrutinise updates as I used to do with Windows.

Upon reading your post I checked the version of FF, and sure enough I have 48......But i did not suffer any 'bad repercussions" ...as usual LM just rolls on...and on and on.....I am sometimes tempted to describe it as boring cause rarely does it ever even come close to some of the catastrophes that often beset my windows installations.

minty fresh...... :hysterical:

....thats actually a really good advertising line...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

I've been trying to figure out what the heck happened to Firefox on my new Mint machine but didn't feel like posting anything until I dug a little further.

Here's what I found out.

That's good to know, glad I don't have 16.04 yet lol!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi Winterland

Yes I mentioned it over at Chris Cosgrove's here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/621563/old-laptop-new-hard-drive/?p=4059165 but had not got as far as detailing it further, before checking all my Distros.

So far, it only affects my Linux Mint 18 Xfce. 9 other Distros I have checked are OK with it.

AntiX 16 and Mageia 5 are not affected because they are only running v45.3 and v45.2.

Stop the Press - I don't need to check further.

At Launchpad, here - the bug is detailed (since the 7th) & is confined to Linux Mint.

On the 9th, a fix has been committed, and so I would expect that will be available shortly?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1610716

My LM Cinnamon and MATE are Ok with it, but I note with all three we have been confined to Google Search, currently, although you can add more engines (just put on DuckDuckGo on this baby, Cinnamon).

Like the slogan, Winterland :thumbup2:

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:10 PM

Hi, all.

Doesn't affect me personally, simply because I'm a Chrome man, through and through; I package the 64-bit versions of Chrome and SlimJet for the Puppy Forum. That keeps me busy! I can count the number of times I've opened FireFox this year on the fingers of one hand. It's a last-gasp 'back-up' browser for me.....

However, since FF46, the Puppy Forums have been buzzing with the various new stuff Mozilla have deployed, including the right-click context menu, and especially the GTK3 stuff; most Pups are built to use GTK2. Some of the Forum regulars have gone as far as re-compiling FF to suit their particular distros & kernels; remember, Puppy doesn't get regular kernel upgrades every couple of weeks, in the same way that most of the 'buntu-based distros do, plus many of the others. Puppy kernels don't tend to get upgraded unless there's a perceived improvement to be had; 'if it ain't broke...'

TBH, if Mozilla have distributed buggy source code, there's not much any of us can do to fix it. The FF's I run all tend to be recent ESR long-term support versions; 45.02 ESR is still compiled with GTK2, and works nicely for me......on the very rare occasions I use it!

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 12 August 2016 - 12:16 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 08:41 PM

Luckily I haven't experienced this problem. :)

#7 vacuum-tube

vacuum-tube

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 12 August 2016 - 06:35 AM

I don't have any problems with FF48.

Give slimjet browser a look at it runs very well for me.

http://www.slimjet.com/

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:04 AM

Winterland et al

Bug now fixed, see Cheesemakers.

Gave me a chance to get a bit of practice with Chromium, also try Slimjet (impressed!)

Cheers

#9 Winterland

Winterland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 05:29 AM

Winterland et al

Bug now fixed, see Cheesemakers.

Gave me a chance to get a bit of practice with Chromium, also try Slimjet (impressed!)

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up.

I clicked on my Search bar and now I have the option to Change Search Settings - which had been there days ago, but didn't do anything when selected/clicked on.

Also, Menu > Preferences > Search is now also working!

Functionality restored!    :thumbup2:

I'm not, nor am I ever likely to be a Chrome/Chromium user. It's not even installed on this machine.

I went to Linux for a bunch of reasons and one of them was a certain level of privacy and/or transparency that doesn't seem in large order in the Windows / Google world, so I'm learning - along with a bunch of other stuff - how to make do without.

@vacuum-tube - thanks for the slimjet link. Had not heard of it before and will try to install and test drive in the next couple of weeks. Is it Chrome-based or related?

Again, thanks to all who stopped by and shared.

onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:10 AM

Hi, Winterland.

@vacuum-tube - thanks for the slimjet link. Had not heard of it before and will try to install and test drive in the next couple of weeks. Is it Chrome-based or related?

I'll answer this one. SlimJet is Chromium-based (like Iron, Maxthon, Vivaldi, and a whole bunch of others), but it's a lot more privacy-oriented than Google's offering. It's personal taste, really; I went off FireFox several years ago, due to a bunch of issues I had with it at the time, and never really regained trust in it after that. And after trying the original beta of Chrome, back in 2008, I was instantly hooked; I'd never come across anything so darn fast & responsive. I didn't bother looking anywhere else after that.

Like all browsers, though, Chrome & Chromium have turned into 'supertankers', compared to their humble (and very nimble!) beginnings. It's the way of the world, unfortunately. But I would definitely recommend giving SlimJet a try; FlashPeak have managed to regain some of the speed Chrome had in the early days, along with adding a whole host of useful extra features. And the tabs are reminiscent of pre-Australis FF.

As for Google's 'nosiness', well; I've been with them so long now, it's a case of 'the devil you know'.....  :P

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 07:35 AM

In the interests of keeping the discussion on-topic, please limit discussion in this thread to the Firefox update.

Please feel free to start another thread on Slimjet browser.

Edited by Al1000, 13 August 2016 - 08:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users