Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"JDK" (Java Developer Kit)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 swens

swens

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:01 AM

OK so I've just upgraded my Mac OS X to "El Capitan" and the first thing that happened when I started up was a pop-up box on my desktop read; "To use "java" command-line tool you need to install a JDK.  Click "more info..." to visit the Java Developer Kit download website."

I clicked on "more info..." and it did direct me to the Oracle website for installation.  Upon installation my Webroot virus software started detecting several "suspicious" files, all part of this installation.  I've flagged, removed and uninstalled and went directly to Oracle without the "link" and installed the package again after a restart and same thing.  I went in to the Webroot controls and "allowed" everything regarding this java install and still have no issues but that stupid box keeps popping up every time I start.

Question;  Do I really need this JDK?  What is it?  Why didn't I need it in the past?  How do I get rid of it if I really don't need it?

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm liking "El Capitan" but will remove it to my last OS if I can't find a solution as I've never had an issue with that OS.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

JDK is the Java Development Kit. Basically it is if you are creating Java programs. If you are not a programmer, you can uninstall it completely. Did you download it from www.oracle.com? In that case, it is likely a false positive detected by webroot

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#3 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:34 AM

This happened on my first start up after upgrading my OS X to El Capitan so I'm pretty sure it's not virus but as you stated a "false positive".  I get a lot of those from webroot, I'm thinking of uninstalling it anyway.  In looking for an uninstall command for the JDK, I cannot find one.  Can you tell me how to get rid of it please?

#4 CKing123

CKing123

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 11:43 AM

Wait, do you use a program like Crashplan? These programs bundle Java because they essentially are Java programs

-CKing

If I am helping you and I don't respond within 2 days, feel free to send me a PM

Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst 

Github | Keybase

#5 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:33 PM

No, I don't have anything like that.

#6 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:15 PM

This happened on my first start up after upgrading my OS X to El Capitan so I'm pretty sure it's not virus but as you stated a "false positive".  I get a lot of those from webroot, I'm thinking of uninstalling it anyway.  In looking for an uninstall command for the JDK, I cannot find one.  Can you tell me how to get rid of it please?

How do I uninstall Java on my Mac?

#7 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:02 PM

So I've removed java but that stupid box keeps coming up when I start the machine.  How do I get rid of that?

#8 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:13 PM

After I updated to Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan), why am I continually prompted to install Java again?

#9 swens

swens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:25 PM

That did the trick!  Thanks for the assist!

#10 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:08 PM

That did the trick!  Thanks for the assist!

:thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users