Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recuva can recover large parts of HDD, but no paths and few file names

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oculi

oculi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hey,

for a few days now my external HDD says it wants to be formatted when i connect it to different PCs. Chkdsk didn't work, neither did this testdisk-tutorial and a Live-Linux only showed the chkdsk logs.

However when i ran recuva it showed many (~60%) of all files as in "excellent" state and nearly all other files had as comment that they were overwritten with the same file, so you had one excellent copy and one unrecoverable when assorted by file name:

cUnQ3ls.jpg

Now one big problem is that a week ago i ran photrec on another drive and saved it to this external drive, and so the real file name of many files, even before the external HDD went bad was f and then a lot of numbers. But most of the data on the external drive wasn't photorec stuff and this other data is also largely lacking file names and there are only really few files that have an file path, like less <1%.

Does anybody know how i can recover the file names and the paths? Or what happend here at all?

Regards and thanks in advance for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users