Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recovery from wiped iphone 5S

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 05:08 AM

Someone asked for help in getting data back from a wiped iphone. She thought everything was transferred to her new phone. However, this was not the case and by the time it was discovered the phone was wiped and attached to usb / iTunes to try to get some data back, possibly writing even more to the phone. I can log into the phone, I have the pin.

Google gave me some trial recovery software of different manufacturers. With all software I could scan the phone and it gave me an "empty result": no address book, no photos in film rol, etc.

Is there anything else that I can do?

Thanks!

Niels

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:39 AM

How was the data supposedly transferred from the old iPhone to the new iPhone?

I ask because the typical method is to backup the old iPhone and then use the back up of the old iPhone to setup/restore to the new iPhone. If that is the case, then is the backup (whether by way of iCloud or syncing with iTunes) still available?

If the backup is not available available anymore or some other method that did not involve backing up the iPhone to transfer the stuff was used, then you likely are out of luck. At that point, your only hope might be the person was at least using iCloud to sync things like calendars, contacts, Safari bookmarks, maybe photos (depending on settings), etc. Any apps, music, TV shows, movies, etc bought through the iTunes Store can be re-downloaded from either the App Store or the iTunes Store. And if any email accounts were setup, then if those email account were IMAP email accounts, then all the messages should be on the email service servers and it should just be a matter of re-setting up the email account(s). So, in theory (if using iCloud for syncing and have at least Photo Stream setup if not the full iCloud Photo Library turned on), then the things lost would be text messages, some system settings (i.e. WiFi networks remembered, Bluetooth devices remembered, passwords for things like iTunes/App Store and iMessage and Facetime, Privacy settings for various apps, etc), settings for most apps, and maybe some files/data for apps that store some stuff locally on the iPhone (i.e. say a PDF program, something like VLC with locally stored videos, etc) would be the only things truly lost. Of course, if they did not have iCloud setup (or something else that would sync things like contacts & calendars [such as Google], photos [like Dropbox], etc), then re-download apps and any iTunes purchased content.

#3 nielsvanvelzen

nielsvanvelzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:50 AM

How was the data supposedly transferred from the old iPhone to the new iPhone?

I ask because the typical method is to backup the old iPhone and then use the back up of the old iPhone to setup/restore to the new iPhone. If that is the case, then is the backup (whether by way of iCloud or syncing with iTunes) still available?

If the backup is not available available anymore or some other method that did not involve backing up the iPhone to transfer the stuff was used, then you likely are out of luck. At that point, your only hope might be the person was at least using iCloud to sync things like calendars, contacts, Safari bookmarks, maybe photos (depending on settings), etc. Any apps, music, TV shows, movies, etc bought through the iTunes Store can be re-downloaded from either the App Store or the iTunes Store. And if any email accounts were setup, then if those email account were IMAP email accounts, then all the messages should be on the email service servers and it should just be a matter of re-setting up the email account(s). So, in theory (if using iCloud for syncing and have at least Photo Stream setup if not the full iCloud Photo Library turned on), then the things lost would be text messages, some system settings (i.e. WiFi networks remembered, Bluetooth devices remembered, passwords for things like iTunes/App Store and iMessage and Facetime, Privacy settings for various apps, etc), settings for most apps, and maybe some files/data for apps that store some stuff locally on the iPhone (i.e. say a PDF program, something like VLC with locally stored videos, etc) would be the only things truly lost. Of course, if they did not have iCloud setup (or something else that would sync things like contacts & calendars [such as Google], photos [like Dropbox], etc), then re-download apps and any iTunes purchased content.

There were some backups, but I was asked to do a reinstall of windows and the iTunes backup file was also stored on the system disk, so that is gone as well. There is no iCloud backup because they didn't want to use that.

I kept a mirror image of the previous install for backup purposes, but on request, I deleted that from the backup harddrive after everyting was succesfull. It was not after they wiped their old phone that they discovered that somehow not everything was transferred. So no, a backup is not possible. I did a disk dum of all harddrives that might contain a backup tough. I will scan these later, but the changes of getting an intact 40GB mirror image intact enough to extract the iTunes backup are pretty slim. Will also take much more time and effort to scan through 10 TB of dd images than through a iPhone if some software will find everything back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users