Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to setup VPN using static ip address?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 urgenthelp

urgenthelp

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 04:28 AM

Hi i would like to setup VPN on my windows server 2008 r2

* i would like to use it internally as well as externally using my public ip address.

Please do share with me the process to set it up on myserver.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:38 AM

"i would like to use it internally"

Does not appear you are clear on vpn types or usages.  What are you trying to accomplish?

#3 JenniferHudson

JenniferHudson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:57 AM

* i would like to use it internally as well as externally using my public ip address.

Its very easy find below tutorial on how to setup VPN using static IP. Make sure to subscribe first 

https://www.purevpn.com/dedicated-ip.php

https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/dedicated-ip

Edited by JenniferHudson, 15 August 2016 - 01:58 AM.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

That is a vpn service which is different than creating your own vpn via the server though it should be done at the router level for best protection.

#5 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 15 August 2016 - 03:04 PM

My first question is does your ISP offer static IP's? If so, have you tried this?

#6 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:12 AM

My first question is does your ISP offer static IP's? If so, have you tried this?

What do you mean by static "IP's".I just brought 1 static ip from my isp not "Ip's".

That is a vpn service which is different than creating your own vpn via the server though it should be done at the router level for best protection.

what are you trying to say?

#7 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 03:13 AM

Its very easy find below tutorial on how to setup VPN using static IP. Make sure to subscribe first 

https://www.purevpn.com/dedicated-ip.php

https://support.purevpn.com/article-categories/dedicated-ip

This is not at all helpful with what i have asked.

#8 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:17 AM

"What do you mean by static "IP's".I just brought 1 static ip from my isp not "Ip's"."

I was talking about what they sell, not what you bought. It would be like asking if Walmart sells grapes. I am not going to ask if they sell grape. XD

Did the link I include help? Was just the first thing I found, so if something is wrong please advise. 

#9 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:32 AM

"What do you mean by static "IP's".I just brought 1 static ip from my isp not "Ip's"."

I was talking about what they sell, not what you bought. It would be like asking if Walmart sells grapes. I am not going to ask if they sell grape. XD

Did the link I include help? Was just the first thing I found, so if something is wrong please advise. 

that link is usefull but not for me. i am getting errors during the time i downloaded the php and wincache from windows platform

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:21 AM

"what are you trying to say?"

There are many flavors of VPN.  You appear unclear as to which you should use/setup.  How about you tell us what you are trying to accomplish with a vpn and we can then advise you properly

#11 Trikein

Trikein

• Members
  • 1,321 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:54 AM

What errors are you getting exactly? Can you not download the plugin or not install? Does this site help? If not, what step does it fail?

#12 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:56 PM

What errors are you getting exactly? Can you not download the plugin or not install? Does this site help? If not, what step does it fail?

I am not getting errors i am just confused where to start the setup which can help me to meet my requirements before installing and configuring vpn on my server

Requirements.

1) Access through Mobile at least 10phones

2) Accessible if away from home.

3) All laptops & mobile go through my home vpn server.

I just have limited requirements.

#13 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:11 AM

I think you are neglecting to tell us all these devices need internet access. Correct?

Don't mean to rain on your parade but the first thing to consider is do you have enough internet bandwidth to support this.

Understand that half will be inbound and half will be outbound if I read your request right.

To address your specific questions;

Assuming wifi connections to the local network, or are you thinking when they are on the road?

Doable. You can configure your server as a vpn server accepting rdp client requests.  Google how to setup vpn remote access on the server version you are running.  Don't think phones can do that... they keep changing.

3) All laptops & mobile go through my home vpn server

Now here's the difference.  For your server to service outbound internet requests you need to subscribe to a vpn service.  This is where they route you to their server via a vpn which protects you, and then through their server to the internet.  There are some free ones but the better always costs money.

Question:

What issue are you trying to address with a vpn?

#14 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:24 AM

Attached File  Screenshot (14).png   453.11KB   0 downloadsI think you are neglecting to tell us all these devices need internet access. Correct?

Don't mean to rain on your parade but the first thing to consider is do you have enough internet bandwidth to support this.

Understand that half will be inbound and half will be outbound if I read your request right.

Assuming wifi connections to the local network, or are you thinking when they are on the road?

Doable. You can configure your server as a vpn server accepting rdp client requests.  Google how to setup vpn remote access on the server version you are running.  Don't think phones can do that... they keep changing.

Now here's the difference.  For your server to service outbound internet requests you need to subscribe to a vpn service.  This is where they route you to their server via a vpn which protects you, and then through their server to the internet.  There are some free ones but the better always costs money.

Question:

When my 10 phones are connected to wifi in a hotel and now i want to access vpn which is at my home.I am totally confused which service to download for my requirements.

I have attached a screenshot in which i am confused which to download and just to easy on private network.

#15 urgenthelp

urgenthelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2016 - 12:26 AM

attachicon.gifScreenshot (14).pngI think you are neglecting to tell us all these devices need internet access. Correct?

Question:

When my 10 phones are connected to wifi in a hotel and now i want to access vpn which is at my home.I am totally confused which service to download for my requirements.

I have attached a screenshot in which i am confused which to download and just to easy on private network.

I dont know much about what are question you are asking me about bandwith and everything all i have right now is

1mbs till 10gb download and upload both and after that 512kb unlimited both .

i have 1 static ip address and 1 windows server 2008 r2. which is connected to a linksys router and a dsl modem, which provides dhcp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users