Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wixerzp

wixerzp

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 02:10 AM

Hello, when I put in my Windows 98 SE CD into my PC and try to boot, I get this error - boot disk failure insert system disk and press enter. I put a Windows XP CD into my PC and it worked just fine, so it is a problem with the CD. How do I correctly make a bootable Win 98 SE CD? The way I did it is download the Full Retail version from winworldpc.com, and using IMGBurn I usde the option "Write image file to disc", checked the verify box and burned it. What did I do wrong? Also, when I put the CD into my modern PC, it says Win98 and has Windows 98 logo.

Edited by wixerzp, 10 August 2016 - 02:40 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:08 AM

Except for a few reported exceptions, probably produced by system manufacturers (i.e. OEM), Win 98 installation media was not bootable. Few computers in that era were capable of booting from optical media. The system needed to be booted from a DOS floppy disk with CD-ROM support.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 wixerzp

wixerzp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 03:10 AM

Except for a few reported exceptions, probably produced by system manufacturers (i.e. OEM), Win 98 installation media was not bootable. Few computers in that era were capable of booting from optical media. The system needed to be booted from a DOS floppy disk with CD-ROM support.

So how do I do install it then? Is it even possible?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 09:54 AM

I download that iso and it is not bootable.

If the computer you are installing the Win98SE supports booting from CD see this video. You will need to copy the contents of the Win98SE CD to a folder then write the contents back to a CD using the bootable image file. Click Show More Info in the video for the download of Bootable_NoEmulatio.img

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lizhzDX7-AI

What is the make and model of the computer you are installing Win98SE to?

#5 Thomas_JK

Thomas_JK

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:29 PM

Hi wixerzp,

You could also install it with bootable floppy disk. Thats how I have installed Win 98, and everything before that.

From website www.allbootdisks.com you can download an exe file. When you double click it, it will create a Win 98 bootdisk by extracting files to a floppy disk in your computers floppy drive. No special software is needed, which is convenient.

There are some instructions http://www.allbootdisks.com/disk_creation.html.

Note: in the link above, a file Dos6.22.exe is used. Don't use that, use the file meant for Windows 98.
If you format your hard drive using the bootdisk, you probably want the FAT32 file system with your Win 98 installation, and that can't be done with bootdisks prior Win 98, and they also don't have CD-ROM support. After creating such bootdisk, one would have to save the CD-ROM driver to the disk, and edit the autoexe.bat and config.sys to load the driver at boot up.

#6 wixerzp

wixerzp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2016 - 03:31 AM

Yes, thank you. I had to make a bootdisk by burning in into a CD and it worked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users