Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Damaged power chord plug questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:16 PM

My 2010 TOSHIBA Satellite C655 PC laptop is reliant on its power adapter 100% of thei time now......
Is that normal for a 6 year old battery??
Also, a couple weeks ago my new pup got its mouth on the chords metal plug part that connects to the laptop. Now In order for it to work, I have to have to wiggle the plug around till I hear the static confirming it's made the connection. Then I have to tape the chord in a very particular way to keep it from moving, because the slightest touch/bump to the chord will result in shutting down immediately, then forcing me to restart the hole process over...
Of course I got tired of this ritual so I went to Walmart/Best Buy where I was told there weren't any adapters available compatible with my PC, so I was talked into purchasing this 64$ INNERGIE universal adapter, that came with 6 tips for different brands of laptops. I figured that was an ok deal.......?
The issue I'm faced with is- the new power adapter does not turn my laptop on. It fits perfectly but does not connect. The only chord that does work is the faulted one! Is this crazy?? Why in the world is the broken chord working and the new one won't???
Any feedback is appreciated greatly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:26 PM

My 2010 TOSHIBA Satellite C655 PC laptop is reliant on its power adapter 100% of the time now......
Is that normal for a 6 year old battery??

It's not unusual, many batteries need to be replaced after 6 years.

The issue I'm faced with is- the new power adapter does not turn my laptop on. It fits perfectly but does not connect.

The adapter only being supplied with 6 tips probably means it doesn't have one that sets the adapter voltage correctly for your model of Toshiba. The tip has to not only fit the socket, but it also tells the adapter what voltage to put out.

Innergie has a program to supply the correct tip for different models of device:

http://www.myinnergie.com/us/free-tip-program
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:29 PM

Some power cords for laptops are proprietary. The cord sometimes has a third pin inside that tells the computer the proper adapter is being used. The computer may still run, but the charging of the battery will not work. This is a protection feature so the battery doesn't explode. You need to buy the proper replacement power adapter and battery if it's dead. You need to check the precise model from under the laptop before buying. Not sure if this exact replacement or not...

http://www.laptopchargerfactory.com/toshiba-satellite-laptop-charger/satellite-c655s5512

#4 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:30 PM

I see.....I guess I was mislead. Do you recommend u search online for a new compatible adapter? Or.....? I'm sorry to admit I am a novice when it comes to this stuff.

#5 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

Gotcha. That makes sense. I've really messed my pc up lately. After a factory reset, it's been so slow and I can't figure out why, so I purchased a 90$ AVG tune up which I regret immensely, now it's worse of than before. I don't know where to go, I guess I can call a computer wiz although I've already spend X amount of dollars. Also to make matters even funnier, I bought 65$ HDMI cords to stream, only to find out at home I have no slot for it lol....
You people with your knowlege are very lucky.

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:38 PM

You need the provide the exact model and C655 is incomplete. Typically the model will be something like C655-XXXX as there are numerous variant laptops in the C655 series, based of cpu size, memory, OS etc. It should say on the bottom of the laptop. If not, then I recommend downloading speccy from the downloads section and go to file and publish. Provide the link generated and post that link to us here and we can take a look at the internal hardware.

#7 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:42 PM

I will do that ASAP thank you!!!

#8 Puppysavvy

Puppysavvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:00 AM

Gotcha. That makes sense. I've really messed my pc up lately. After a factory reset, it's been so slow and I can't figure out why, so I purchased a 90$ AVG tune up which I regret immensely, now it's worse of than before. I don't know where to go, I guess I can call a computer wiz although I've already spend X amount of dollars. Also to make matters even funnier, I bought 65$ HDMI cords to stream, only to find out at home My PC doesnt have a slot for HDMI cables lol!! I wish I would have never initiated the factory reset.

You people with your knowlege are very lucky. Anyone know a good wiz to call in Cleveland Ohio?

Ok the MODEL IS C655-S5132 system unit
Intel® Celeron CPU 925 @ 2.9 GHz
Installed memory RAM 3.00 GB (2.87 GB usable)
System type 64 bit operating system

Is this the info you need?

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:40 AM

Does your adapter match this one?? I noticed some have a right-angled end and others straight..Here. Please check the end of your adapter. Could you also provide the Voltage, Ampere and Watts, end dimensions on yours?

#10 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:54 AM

That same place also provides a replacement battery...https://www.nextdaypower.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C655-S5132-6-Cell-Replacement-Battery.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users