Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and crash after power saving turns monitor off

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ossilox

Ossilox

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 09 August 2016 - 11:11 PM

Original OS: Windows 7 x64
Neither OEM nor retail - it's the free Windows 10 update
Age of system: 4 years
Age of OS installation: 16 days

· CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3701 Mhz
· Video Card: Intel HD Graphics
· MotherBoard - H67MA-USB3-B3
· Power Supply - Delta, 400W

· System Manufacturer: ZT Affinity
· Exact model number: 7624Mi

· Laptop or Desktop? Desktop

I had no problems whatsoever when I had Windows 7. However, after upgrading to Windows 10, I've gotten several BSOD crashes. I think I have a general idea of what's happening, but not why.

As well as I can figure, my computer seems to be crashing after going idle for a few minutes. I looked up "windows 10 bsod after going idle" on Google and found lots of threads that seem to describe the same issue, but I'll explain anyway in case there are any hints I'm not noticing.

I originally had the power saving settings set to turn the monitor off after 5 minutes and put the computer to sleep after 20. After the monitor turns off, the HD light shows the HD is being accessed heavily (because of automatic maintenance tasks?). But after a few minutes the light stops flickering and just stays on constantly. If I jiggle the mouse to turn the monitor back on, the screen is either blank or frozen, the mouse cursor is the spinning wheel for a while (I can move it around but that's all), I can't start Task Manager or anything, and then I get a BSOD.

The first few times, the BSOD would only appear for half a second, then the computer would restart automatically. After the booting process started, it would show a black screen with "Boot from CD/DVD: " "DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER". Pressing the power button on the case turned the computer off immediately, and when I turned it back on, Windows booted normally.

After this happened three times, I found out that you could disable automatic restarts on BSOD and did so. The next two times the computer crashed like this, the error messages were KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR and CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED (that's all - no numbers or file names or anything). It says "collecting some error info", but stays at 0% completion with the HDD light still on constantly. I allowed it to stay that way for a few minutes, then pressed the power button and the computer turned off immediately. When I turned it on again after that, Windows again booted normally (this time without the system trying to boot from a disk like it did before I disabled automatic restarts).

My computer does not appear to be creating any dump files of any kind (I search for *.dmp files myself and also tried NirSoft BlueScreenView which didn't find any), and there's nothing useful in the Event Viewer (just "last system shutdown was unexpected" errors).

I saw several threads on Google that talked about this issue having something to do with Windows Defender. I discovered that Windows Defender is not running on my machine. The service is set to manual, but when I try to start it I get Error 577: Windows cannot verify the digital signature of this file.

The only solutions that I found either amount to never allowing the computer do any maintenance (like disabling maintenance processes such as defragmentation or running a song on a permanent loop so the computer can never go idle) - I don't want my computer to be completely maintained... - or disabling Windows Defender from the registry.

I just wanted to see if anybody had any idea of other things that I could try?

PS: I forgot to mention that there have also been times when the computer was apparently able to go to sleep properly because it was off when I came back.

Attached Files

Edited by Ossilox, 09 August 2016 - 11:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 10 August 2016 - 07:58 AM

Let's also have a look at this report:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I'll post more when I get back from work today.......

If you have time, start with these free hardware diagnostics also:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:50 PM

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports

KernelDumpList.txt report shows no memory dumps

No BSOD's listed in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F3 ZT) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.
FYI - there are many, many recent Windows Update failures in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Beyond this I have these 5 suggestions:
1.  Get ALL available Windows Updates.  It may take several trips to get them all
2.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for your system from the manufacturer's website (to include BIOS/UEFI).
3.  Get ALL available, compatible updates for the programs and any additional hardware installed on your computer from the developer's website
4.  Start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html
5.  If all of the hardware tests pass, then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Ossilox

Ossilox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 AM

Posted 13 August 2016 - 02:20 AM

Thank you for the help! Sorry for taking so long to respond!

First of all - I disabled the Microsoft/Windows/Defrag/ScheduledDefrag task like many of the message threads I found on Google suggested, and the computer hasn't crashed when idle since. Now the screen turns off and the computer goes to sleep normally. Also, when the computer goes idle, the HD light no longer shows almost-constant use.

I actually always run a temperature monitoring program. Overheating was one of the first things I thought of, but the temperatures haven't been unusual (going from around 49-54 under normal use to a high of around 78 when intensive programs are running, which is how this computer has always been). I use RealTemp, but I ran HWiNFO64 as well to make sure RealTemp wasn't wrong somehow, and the readings have been the same in both. (I didn't think to see if I could log the temperatures when the computer was idle-crashing, though.)

I also check Windows Update regularly, and it said it was up-to-date as of my first post (and also now).

I'm attaching the Event Viewer file. The last time the computer resumed from crashing when idle was on 8/10/2016 at 10:52. However, just like there are no dump files, there are no indications of anything going wrong before the crashes (which are all of the "Critical" error). I rebooted the computer immediately each time it crashed, but you'll see there are long gaps before the reboots where no errors were reported at all.

BTW, sorry the file is so big - a component of Comodo had apparently been causing multiple errors a minute since the last time I'd restarted the computer, so there are a huge number of "cisVScopeMonitor" errors. I wasn't able to filter them out. I also see some other weird things, like services related to the BlueStacks app player (which I uninstalled over a week ago) - the BstHD ones - that are still trying to run. There are also some Winamp crashes that were caused by a plugin, and the mmc.exe errors are from a "waiting for all snap-ins to complete" window that wouldn't close when I was running Event Viewer and had to kill manually several times. (I've been looking at Event Viewer a lot since the crashes started, and that error has occurred a few times.)

About the defrag task issue: On one of the threads I found, someone who had this issue and had figured out that the defrag task was related to it had manually used defrag and somehow figured out that it was stalling in a particular folder (they said it had a "corrupt" file but I don't know how they knew that). They uninstalled the software that included the folder defrag was hanging on and said the computer stopped crashing after that. However, after checking multiple times to make sure my computer was no longer crashing on idle, I manually ran "defrag c: /U /V" through an elevated command prompt and it ran fine with no errors at all for 5 passes (then I cancelled it while it was defragging free space because I needed to turn off the computer). The disk was only 6% fragmented to begin with, and now it's being reported as 1% fragmented.

As for updating drivers - ZT Affinity no longer manufactures computers, and although they have a support website, all of the drivers listed there are from 2012 and all of them are for Windows 7, so I was hesitant to install any of them. There is a bios update on the motherboard manufacturer's website, but to be honest, I'm scared to install it.

Actually, after all the traumatizing computer disasters I've experienced over the years, I'm too scared to run any software with terrifying warnings like Driver Verifier or chdsk in the hopes of resolving a single issue that can seemingly be resolved by disabling one (essentially unnecessary) scheduled Windows task. And because I have a 2 TB hard drive with a very large number of small files on it, chdsk is most likely going to take at least a few days to run, and I can't spare my computer for that long. (Plus, I have a life-long deathly fear of chdsk as well...)

I have to say, it seems strange that so many people who upgraded to Windows 10 (apparently throughout its existence, going back to 2015) ran into this exact issue and that all of the people who disabled the defrag task had the issue go away immediately.

Obviously I'm not ruling out hardware damage, but I'm just wondering - outside of that, can you think of any other reasons that specific task might cause people's computers to crash? Another strange thing is that - at least on my computer - that specific task doesn't  appear to be set up to run when the computer is idle. (The box for that option isn't checked.) Instead, it appears to be set up to run as a specific time on a specific day of the week. I've read that Windows 8 and 10 run defrag automatically in the background, but if that box isn't checked, how can that specific task be the reason it runs in the background?

Attached Files

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2016 - 08:19 AM

FY( - this post is turning into a book. 

The analysis of the Admin log file is at the end :0)

The key here may be in your statement that:

However, just like there are no dump files, there are no indications of anything going wrong before the crashes

First I have to state that most problems fall into one of these 3 categories:

- 3rd party program problems

- hardware problems

- Windows problems

The absence of errors (this is a general statement and does not apply to all situations) often means that Windows doesn't see a problem. And, if it doesn't see a problem, then it's not likely that the problem is with 3rd party stuff or Windows stuff (remember, this is an over-simplification).

So, in most cases, this means it's most likely a hardware problem (but can also be due to compatibility or low-level driver issues) - so that's where we start the troubleshooting.

Please start with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Next, you have an older computer that may not be supported by the manufacturer any longer.
As such, you have to wonder about the compatibility of this system with W10 - as the last updates date from 2012.

Unfortunately, the best test for compatibility is to install the old OS and see if everything works there.

If there's a BIOS update, it is scary to do.

But if incompatibility is suspect, then flashing the BIOS may be very important.  W10 communicates with the BIOS much more than previous OS's

Windows systems are a complex interaction of parts - so failures can be simple to figure out, or they can be so complex that you want to rip out your hair.

I have followed the release of many OS's, and have been actively helping out on the forums since around the time that XP was released.

Most often the problems that I see are caused by outdated software/3rd party programs.

The easiest test for this is a Clean Boot ( http://www.thewindowsclub.com/what-is-clean-boot-state-in-windows ), but it doesn't find everything.

If the Clean Boot doesn't fix things, then we have to discuss the various repair/recovery options.

I have deliberately made the warnings for BIOS flashes and Driver Verifier as forbidding as I can - because there is a danger in doing them improperly.

FWIW - I have never had a bad BIOS flash (but have come close due to poor documentation).

I have seen problems rebooting from Driver Verifier (but haven't seen one in the last year or two that hasn't been solved by my suggestions).  The most often quoted solution is that they booted to Safe Mode and then turned Driver Verifier off there.

Finally, what I do with the Admin reports is:

- I look for repeated errors, particularly in the time just before a Critical Error happened (that's why I tend to ask for the reports to be generated immediately after the event - the Critical Error serves as a marker for me to look for).

- I look for other errors that may be related, or that may interfere with the log file (such as multiple Comodo errors, or services still running after uninstalling things).

I'll post some things to help clean out the log (and may fix some things).

Then we'll see if the system still has problems - and if needed, I'll ask for another Admin logfile

To stop Media Center tasks from running (and then failing) delete this registry key (as with any deletion, backup the key first):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center

Once you've deleted the above registry key do the following:
- Go to the Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows folder and delete the Media Center folder (as with any deletion, backup the folder first).
- Then delete the Task Scheduler Library...Microsoft...Windows...Media Center task folder within the Task Scheduler (I don't think that you can back this up, but you can export the tasks individually).

The BlueStacks services are still running.

Have you tried disabling them in services.msc?

As for the problems with Comodo:

- please ensure that it's uninstalled

- then run this free tool to remove any leftovers:  http://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-faq-cis-b141.0/-t71897.0.html (I have not used this tool myself, read the directions/cautions carefully)

IMO this is the most serious of your problems.
I'd also suggest checking in services.msc for any Comodo services and disable them.

This is my canned speech for removing troublesome drivers.

Give it a try for removing the Comodo stuff if you can't get rid of it otherwise

Please note that cmdagent is an executable - NOT a driver ( I mention this because the canned speech is for drivers and not for executables - so I made changes, but may have missed something):

1)   Create a Restore Point using System Restore
2)   Create a Repair disc (Recovery Drive in Win8.1/10):
Win 7 - Go to Start...All Programs...Maintenance...Create a System Repair Disc
Win 8 - Press "WIN" and "R" to open the Run dialog...type "RECDISC" (without the quotes) and press ENTER
Win 8.1 - Go to the Start Screen and type in "recoverydrive" (one word, without the quotes).  That will start the recovery drive process.  You will need a USB drive of at least 512 mB - and all data will be erased off of it.  If copying the recovery partition the drive size will be much, much larger (16 - 32 gB drive required).
Win 10 - Go to Start (press the "Win" key) and type in "recoverydrive" (one word, without the quotes).  That will start the recovery drive process.  You will need a USB drive of at least 512 mB - and all data will be erased off of it.  If copying the recovery partition the drive size will be much, much larger (16 - 32 gB drive required).
3)   Test the System Repair disc/Recovery Drive to make sure that you can get to the System Restore entry when you boot from the disk/drive (you may also want to try actually using System Restore to make sure that it works)
4)   Download this free program (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) and use it to disable any instances of cmdagent that are starting (or any other Comodo entries) (DO NOT DELETE - only disable by removing the checkmark in the left hand column)
5)   Check in Device Manager (to include showing hidden devices from the View menu item) and ensure that any instances of cmdagent (or any other Comodo entries) are "Uninstalled" (DO NOT DISABLE THESE).
6)   Check in the Services applet (services.msc) to be sure any instances of cmdagent or any other Comodo entries are disabled.
7)   EXPERIMENTAL STEP (only try if you're certain of your abilities - I have not tried this step myself).  Search the registry (use regedit.exe) to locate any entries that have the driver name (cmdagent) or the program name (Comodo).  Delete these keys (it's advisable to back them up first - but you've also backed up the entire registry when creating a System Restore point in step 1.  Alternatively, you can set the values in these keys to DISABLED (but the "how" of this is beyond the scope of this guide).
8)   Search the system to locate the cmdagent file and rename it to cmdagent.BAD (search the hard drive for it if it's not in C:\Windows\System32\drivers).
9)   Test to be sure that the device is working OK and that any BSOD's/errors have stopped.

In the event that the system doesn't boot:

1)   Boot from the System Repair disc/Recovery Drive and use the Command Prompt option to rename cmdagent.BAD to cmdagent.exe
ren C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cmdagent.BAD C:\Windows\System32\drivers\cmdagent.exe
2)   Boot from the System Repair disc/Recovery Drive and use the System Restore option to restore the system to a point before the changes were made.

Good luck!

I also see some sidebyside entries for Adobe and Avast

Please uninstall them completely.

Then download a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible version and install that.

Then we wait and see what happens.
While waiting, please run these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Edited by usasma, 13 August 2016 - 08:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users